UConn Baseball Weekend Series @ Home vs. Cincy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Weekend Series @ Home vs. Cincy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coach Penders seems to have ended the Saturday switching of positions of Max McDowell and Blake Davey. Not sure if he was unhappy about McDowell's defense in the outfield, or Davey behind the plate.

Reaction Score
First inning and already a fielding blunder. Get the strike out and the runner intentionally gets caught in a rundown between 1st and 2nd and we let the guy from third score. When will we ever learn.

Reaction Score
2-0 top of the first. Kay's early game struggles continue.

Reaction Score
First inning and already a fielding blunder. Get the strike out and the runner intentionally gets caught in a rundown between 1st and 2nd and we let the guy from third score. When will we ever learn.

Not only that, but they didn't get the out on the runner caught in the rundown between 1st and 2nd. I've mentioned this before, but the thing that I find surprising is that Penders has used this same play fairly often in past seasons. You would think that the Huskies would know how to counter that play.

Reaction Score
Kay struggling here in the 3rd. Hit batter, picks him off, now back to back walks with 2 outs. Could have been out of the inning. A fouled popup lands between home and 3rd in front of dugout with everybody watching McDowell. Yahn needs to get over and get that.

Reaction Score
Huskies come up with 5 in the 3rd. Melley has an RBI double but the rest was due to the pitcher being wild and a big error in the field that didn't go down as an error. 5-2 after 3.

Reaction Score
Anthony Kay is somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 pitches, so I would think he has one, maybe two innings left in him.

Reaction Score
Yahn with a nice play to keep the lead at 5-4. Kay really struggling with control today.

Reaction Score
DeRohe-Duffin with a bomb to dead center to make it 6-4

Reaction Score
Deroche-Duffin with a long solo homer to center field.

Reaction Score
Come on Testani, last time up with the bases loaded and 1 out you strike out and swinging for the fences on the third strike. This time first and second no outs and you can't get the sac down and end of striking out again. The little things that kill.

Reaction Score
Top of the 6th, 9-4 lead for UConn. Devin Over is in to relieve Anthony Kay.

Reaction Score
Over allows a lead off single in the 6th, then quickly gets the inning over with the aid of a double play.

Reaction Score
I know we are up 9-4 but bases loaded and no outs and we can't score. Started by another Testani strike out then DP by Sundberg.

Reaction Score
Come on Over you have a 5 run lead and your going to come out and start walking everybody. This team makes nothing come easy.

Reaction Score
Now Darras in and getting hit already. 9-6 and still threatening. Not sure what else Nepiarsky needs to prove before he gets his chance in meaningful innings. Darras is all over the place.

Reaction Score
Come on Over you have a 5 run lead and your going to come out and start walking everybody. This team makes nothing come easy.

They were speculating on WHUS that Over had to come out of the game because of a blister on his pitching hand.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I don't get it...I understand frustration with mistakes because we all feel it, but it's as if you expect every reliever to come in and pitch perfectly, every fielder to play 100% errorless defense, and every hitter who comes up with runners in scoring position to start a 6-run rally. That's great in theory, but flat-out unrealistic in practice; college baseball features players who aren't fully developed and who make mistakes. This is UCONN baseball, not UCONN women's basketball -- this program is simply not at a place where playing perfect, mistake-free ball is an option.

Reaction Score
I don't get it...I understand frustration with mistakes because we all feel it, but it's as if you expect every reliever to come in and pitch perfectly, every fielder to play 100% errorless defense, and every hitter who comes up with runners in scoring position to start a 6-run rally. That's great in theory, but flat-out unrealistic in practice; college baseball features players who aren't fully developed and who make mistakes. This is UCONN baseball, not UCONN women's basketball -- this program is simply not at a place where playing perfect, mistake-free ball is an option.
No I don't expect that, just fundamentally sound baseball. When you have a veteran team like we do I just don't expect to see the mental lapses as much as we seem to see week after week. This is what differentiates a team that goes to the regionals and a team that doesn't. When you have a 5 run lead you throw strikes. I get it that Over and Darras are going to walk guys, they have been all year and their wild. This is why I just ask for a guy like Nepiarsky who consistently comes in a throws strikes to get more meaningful time in clutch situations.

Reaction Score
I mean it continues here in the 9th. Darras hits the lead off batter, throws a wild pitch, then a double to cut lead to 10-7. Then Routolo comes in and what does he do, walks the first guy he sees.

Reaction Score
So Stairmaster, let me ask you this. Since I don't see you out here on the baseball board all that much. Do you actually watch the games and see what I am referencing or are you one of those who just come over here to post and stir up things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom