UConn Baseball v. Holy Cross | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball v. Holy Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To be fair I'm basing my thought process on MLB stats but sac bunting is almost never the right decision based on expected runs scored.

e.g. with a runner on 1st and 0 outs, you are expected to score 0.86 runs. When you have a runner on 2nd with 1 out as you would after a sacrifice, you are expected to score 0.65 runs.

Granted there are tons of differences between the two levels that can positively or negatively affect the expectations for both swinging and bunting. Error rates are much higher, walk rates tend to be higher, etc. I'm just generally inclined to think that when you have guys routinely hitting .300+ as you do in college, you let them swing the bat.

Edit: I don't mean to be argumentative, just trying to explain where I'm coming from. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree lol.
Oh I understand, me neither.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Now why is Over coming out for a 3rd inning? Why stretch him?
This is a much more common practice in college with all the days off. Over was pitching well and with the bullpens control issues, I'd rather give him the extra inning. Day off tomorrow and with Cross/Kay he may not be needed until Sunday anyways.
I just got home, but I want to give a Callahan Brown comment. I was surprised when he came in the game when he did in the situation he did. Still, Penders gave him a chance, an audition if you will, and Brown did not take advantage at all. It might be a while before Brown gets another chance like that from Penders.
I thought it was a great time for an audition. A time when we needed some big outs but early enough in the game where you can expect the offense will get some runs back anyways. Good bridge to getting some conference action (if he had performed well).

Reaction Score
Devin Over is staying in to start the 9th. I do believe in staying with a hot pitcher, but at this point I would be comfortable turning the game over to Darras. I'm sure if someone gets on Darras will come in.

Reaction Score
Well. make that two runners on before we get a relief pitcher. And it is not Darras, but instead Trevor Holmes!

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 6:07pm via Twitter Web Client
FINAL: Holy Cross 8, #UConn 7. Huskies will hit the road on Friday at ECU after going 4-5 on the just-concluded nine-game home stretch.

RPI will take a hit...

Need to get back the Road Warrior attitude for ECU and Houston. Make or break series w/ Cincy @ home in between.

Reaction Score
Going with Holmes instead of Darras in the 9th was certainly a surprise to me. Penders hasn't experimented at all with late inning relief in quite some time. He has been quite predictable in who he was bringing in from the pen for most of the season.

Reaction Score
Going with Holmes instead of Darras in the 9th was certainly a surprise to me. Penders hasn't experimented at all with late inning relief in quite some time. He has been quite predictable in who he was bringing in from the pen for most of the season.
Nothing Penders does makes any sense except to do his best to make sure there will be no postseason. Once again, why bring Over out for the 9th. He keeps stretching guys. Nepiarsky, Montgomerie, Darras. Any one of those guys could have been used in the 9th. Unbelievable that they blew this game.
Holmes actually got the first two guys out and almost got out if it. Over just shouldn't have been out there for the start of the inning.

Reaction Score
Nothing Penders does makes any sense except to do his best to make sure there will be no postseason. Once again, why bring Over out for the 9th. He keeps stretching guys. Nepiarsky, Montgomerie, Darras. Any one of those guys could have been used in the 9th. Unbelievable that they blew this game.
Holmes actually got the first two guys out and almost got out if it. Over just shouldn't have been out there for the start of the inning.

This is just idle speculation with no knowledge behind it, but if Darras was unable to pitch, then it would explain quite a bit right there at least to me on why Darras did not come in and why Penders stayed with Over in the 9th. As for Holmes coming in when he did, I would say at this point that Penders has more confidence in Holmes to do the job than Nepiarsky, who has yet to pitch in a close game, or Montgomerie, who has really only really pitched well in a starting role. For better or worse, Penders just isn't going to go with an untested relief pitcher in those circumstances. I recall that Holmes did have a taste of success in late inning relief work earlier in the season, so I suspect that is why he got the call.

Reaction Score
This is just idle speculation with no knowledge behind it, but if Darras was unable to pitch, then it would explain quite a bit right there at least to me on why Darras did not come in and why Penders stayed with Over in the 9th. As for Holmes coming in when he did, I would say at this point that Penders has more confidence in Holmes to do the job than Nepiarsky, who has yet to pitch in a close game, or Montgomerie, who has really only really pitched well in a starting role. For better or worse, Penders just isn't going to go with an untested relief pitcher in those circumstances. I recall that Holmes did have a taste of success in late inning relief work earlier in the season, so I suspect that is why he got the call.
I guess my point of view on it is where else are you going to get a better test than during a midweek games versus the likes of a Holy Cross instead f a weekend game against a conference foe. I would rather test a Nepiarsky or a Montgomerie in this situation or just start Holmes to begin the inning then bring Over out for a 4th inning. The guy has had arm problems earlier in the year.

Reaction Score
I guess my point of view on it is where else are you going to get a better test than during a midweek games versus the likes of a Holy Cross instead f a weekend game against a conference foe. I would rather test a Nepiarsky or a Montgomerie in this situation or just start Holmes to begin the inning then bring Over out for a 4th inning. The guy has had arm problems earlier in the year.

It's possible that after Callahan Brown failed his test that Penders was done experimenting for the game.

Reaction Score
It's possible that after Callahan Brown failed his test that Penders was done experimenting for the game.
Maybe so, but I would have assumed that Nepiarsky was ahead of Brown at this point and he would have been given the opportunity. The problem with Penders is he has either a very short leash or too long of a leash.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/042915aaa.html

Stats:

Game Notes
  • UConn is now 42-20-2 all-time against Holy Cross
  • Vinny Siena became the 15th player in UConn history to record 200 career hits with a first-inning single
  • Willy Yahn's go-ahead home run was his second of the year and first since his first career start on March 18
  • The Huskies concluded a nine-game home stretch with a 4-5 record
Up next, the Huskies head south for a league series at East Carolina. UConn and ECU will play three at Clark-LeClair Stadium, beginning with a Friday night showdown at 6:30 p.m.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Ugly way to end an ugly game.

I have to assume Ruotolo/Darras were unavilable which explains Over being stretched. The problem I have with him pitching the 9th though is that at ~40 pitches to start the inning, he's probably fine if he goes out and performs well. But once he allows 2 base runners all of a sudden you can't trust him to get out of it because of his pitch count. I would say if you trusted Holmes to get out of that situation more than a tired Over, Holmes should have just started the inning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom