Men - UConn Baseball to open 2025 Season at the inaugural Puerto Rico Challenge (February 13th - 16th) | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball to open 2025 Season at the inaugural Puerto Rico Challenge (February 13th - 16th)

Reaction Score

-> For the first time in program history, the Virginia baseball team will play regular season games outside the continental United States when it opens its 2025 season at the inaugural Puerto Rico Challenge on opening weekend (February 13-16).

UVA is one of eight teams committed to the event – UConn, Michigan, Missouri, Penn State, Rice, Stetson and Villanova. Games will take place in the cities of Ponce at Francisco “Paquito” Montaner Stadium while contests in Mayagüez will be played at Isidoro García Stadium. Game dates, times opponents and coverage information will be announced at a later date.

Each of the collegiate teams’ student-athletes and coaches involved in the event will also participate in free baseball clinics offered to the island’s grammar school-aged children. <-

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Michigan, Rice, UVA, and Missouri is big time. Couple that with the Vandy game in Dodger stadium and we are looking at a tremendous OOC that year.

Reaction Score
Nice way to start the season. There’s definitely some name recognition w/in the tournament. I can’t help but comment on Nova’ being in there lol. I know I’m down on the BE as a baseball conference, but Nova! It looks like a great tournament overall.

Reaction Score
Nice way to start the season. There’s definitely some name recognition w/in the tournament. I can’t help but comment on Nova’ being in there lol. I know I’m down on the BE as a baseball conference, but Nova! It looks like a great tournament overall.
Agreed. Has to be some coaching relationship that got them in this group. Good thing is they shouldnt be one of our games down there so less of a hit to the RPI.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Has to be some coaching relationship that got them in this group. Good thing is they shouldnt be one of our games down there so less of a hit to the RPI.

My guess is that teams from the same conference will not initially be scheduled to play each other. Of course, don't know at this point whether or not there will be winners and loser bracket games, in which case there would be a chance for teams from the same conference to play each other as the tournament moves along. Also don't know if all games and opponents will be scheduled in advance, similar to what UConn faces in the tournament to open this season at USF.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the games played in Puerto Rico are similar to the games UConn that played in Hawaii last season. Will they not count towards the regular normal 56 game schedule that the NCAA mandates for Division 1 college baseball?

Also, with the Puerto Rico games starting on February 13, it seems the season might be starting a week early for the teams involved, which makes me think that the games don't count towards the normal 56 game schedule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom