UConn Baseball New Baseball Stadium Plans Unveiling | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball New Baseball Stadium Plans Unveiling

Reaction Score
From the Houston series thread:
Watching the game today got me thinking about the upgrades to the field. Does anyone know what the latest on that is as far as field turf, lights, chair back seats? Is it still happening?

Penders has said several times that he expects the field turf will be installed after the 2016 fall ball season, and will be ready for the 2017 season. In one of the recent Chris Jones interviews he stuck to this schedule, saying he has heard nothing from higher ups that would delay putting in the turf. The timing for all the other improvements is contingent on how well fund raising goes, and to my knowledge there is no current schedule for when the rest of the upgrades will happen.

Got this in US Mail Today:
uconn baseball stadium.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this is wishful thinking or if I remember reading it somewhere but is there a chance UConn will play games in Hartford at the new stadium in the future?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this is wishful thinking or if I remember reading it somewhere but is there a chance UConn will play games in Hartford at the new stadium in the future?

They've played in New Britain and in Norwich so a night game in Hartford would not be out of the norm...

Reaction Score

UConn had a game against UMass scheduled for this May for the new Hartford stadium. Because of the well publicized delays in its construction, that game was moved back to Storrs. So maybe next year.

Reaction Score
One odd thing about the fields. Usually with multiple fields the home plates are close together to allow a single center building that can be used by both teams. It's much cheaper than having separate buildings. Also, the grandstands can share some structure. It's like our fields are exactly wrong.

Having the center fields touch is the most inefficient use of space possible.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
One odd thing about the fields. Usually with multiple fields the home plates are close together to allow a single center building that can be used by both teams. It's much cheaper than having separate buildings. Also, the grandstands can share some structure. It's like our fields are exactly wrong.

Having the center fields touch is the most inefficient use of space possible.

Unless the space is widest in the middle, in which case it may be the only way to fit both fields into a given piece of land.

Reaction Score
Unless the space is widest in the middle, in which case it may be the only way to fit both fields into a given piece of land.

Looking at the most recent Campus master Plan from 2015, the baseball and softball diamonds are completely separate. I agree that that it may be cheaper and more viable to 'rotate' both so that they can share some of the infrastructure (stadium footprint, fan restrooms, concessions, offices, etc.). I'm also one of those that hope that the football and soccer teams swap fields for many of the same reasons.

Reaction Score
Terrific news! Now I'm really looking forward to Saturday's announcement.

Kinda wish Kay was pitching Saturday instead of Friday night --- w/ the crowd of scouts he draws, it would be great way to get the news widespread coverage. ;)

Reaction Score
UConnClub1:43pm via Twitter for iPhone
.@UConnBaseball unveil renderings of new JO Christian Field prior to today's game.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: UConn Club

J.O CHRISTIAN BASEBALL STADIUM
Projected Cost:
$12.3 to $14.3 million
Raised to Date: $1.5 million
  • Three-sided stadium with 1,500 seats
  • Competition field with artificial turf, drainage, lights, scoreboard and press box
  • Home locker room
  • Dugouts with restrooms
  • Home & visitor bullpens (three each, six total)
  • Indoor/outdoor pitching mounds (three indoor)
  • Berm seating
  • Film Room
  • Public amenities- ticketing, restrooms and concessions
Baseball Stadium Naming Opportunities

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConnClub1:43pm via Twitter for iPhone
.@UConnBaseball unveil renderings of new JO Christian Field prior to today's game.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: UConn Club

J.O CHRISTIAN BASEBALL STADIUM
Projected Cost:
$12.3 to $14.3 million
Raised to Date: $1.5 million
  • Three-sided stadium with 1,500 seats
  • Competition field with artificial turf, drainage, lights, scoreboard and press box
  • Home locker room
  • Dugouts with restrooms
  • Home & visitor bullpens (three each, six total)
  • Indoor/outdoor pitching mounds (three indoor)
  • Berm seating
  • Film Room
  • Public amenities- ticketing, restrooms and concessions
Baseball Stadium Naming Opportunities

I went to the reception today. It seemed more of a lets get the donors primed up for future donations function than anything else. It didn't seem any real information concerning timetables and such was given out, but Penders did indicate that in terms of fundraising they are a lot closer than they were last winter, indicating that they had received at least one substantial donation in the last few months. I got the impression they are about 5 million or so short of their overall goal, but no actual figure was given for the actual amount raised so far.

Reaction Score
From the Long Beach State Bio of Uconn's new Deputy Athletic Director (who will also be responsible for oversight of baseball (as well as men's basketball and golf):

>>Under Cegles' leadership the university entered a long-term 55-year lease with the city of Long Beach to operate the iconic Blair Field, ensuring an improved home for Dirtbag baseball. With that commitment, a $17 million campaign for improvements at Blair Field is underway, which includes a new practice infield, safer walls and remodeled batting cages, locker room, offices and suites at the iconic stadium. Four-time MLB All-Star Troy Tulowitzki pledged $1 million to the project, offered at his LBSU Hall of Fame induction, which breaks ground for Phase 1 in 2015.<<

Clearly knows his way around a ballpark: "Cegles served as assistant basketball coach at Carnegie Mellon University and as an assistant basketball and baseball coach at West Virginia Wesleyan College and Indiana University of Pennsylvania."

Reaction Score
The Hartford Courant ran a story today summing up the conclusion of the season for the UConn baseball team. Buried in the story was this piece of stadium news:

Plans to install an artificial turf field and lights at J.O. Christian Field have been put on hold, Penders said. The most cost-effective route is to wait until there are funds to build the proposed new ballpark all at once, which Penders said can be done in two to three years.

Penders Proud Of UConn Baseball Team, Looks Forward To Get Back Out There

I'm guessing the old plan of installing an artificial turf field after this season had been based on construction of the new stadium taking place over a longer period than two to three years mentioned in the story. However, the donations that UConn baseball received earlier this year that are alluded to earlier in this thread have moved up the timeframe of their thinking on possible construction.

Reaction Score
Doesn't need it's won thread - nice set-up.

Kentucky Baseball ‏@UKBaseball 47m47 minutes ago
BIG NEWS: @UKAthletics has received approval today to begin construction in Feb. on new $49M baseball stadium to be completed in Fall 2018.
Construction of New Baseball Stadium Approved | UK Wildcats News (Fly through video)

>The stadium will feature permanent seating for 2,400 fans with additional space on grass berms to accommodate a total of 4,000 fans for regular-season games. Beyond the outfield wall, temporary bleachers can be installed for NCAA Tournament games to bring the seating capacity to 6,000.<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Doesn't need it's won thread - nice set-up.

Kentucky Baseball ‏@UKBaseball 47m47 minutes ago
BIG NEWS: @UKAthletics has received approval today to begin construction in Feb. on new $49M baseball stadium to be completed in Fall 2018.
Construction of New Baseball Stadium Approved | UK Wildcats News (Fly through video)
>The stadium will feature permanent seating for 2,400 fans with additional space on grass berms to accommodate a total of 4,000 fans for regular-season games. Beyond the outfield wall, temporary bleachers can be installed for NCAA Tournament games to bring the seating capacity to 6,000.<
Wow. That makes our proposed field look pitiful by comparision. This is taste of the furture. P5 money will make it impossible for outsiders to keep up

Reaction Score
Now that the Yard Goats' new stadium is finally opening this week, any recent word on whether UConn will play some games there this year or in the future? Seems like it would be a win-win for UConn baseball and for Hartford.

aerial_stadium.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I must say, the Coast Guard Academy's fields have a BEAUTIFUL setting.

CGA and Mitchell have a game at Dodd. I don't see how UConn baseball won't play in Hartford. Sacred Heart plays at Harbor Yard now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom