UConn Baseball - NCAA Tourney | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball - NCAA Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
RTD_MikeBarber 1:46pm via Web
On the blog: Virginia Tech will start senior left-hander Joe Mantiply on Friday against UConn. vtsports.blogs.timesdispatch.com/2013/05/28/hok… #Hokies #Hokieball

"Virginia Tech will start senior left-hander Joe Mantiply in the first game of the NCAA regional tournament the Hokies are hosting on Friday against Connecticut.
Mantiply went 6-0 with a 2.92 ERA in 12 starts and pitched twice in relief."

"Mantiply, who was drafted in the 28th round by the Philadelphia Phillies last year but opted to return to Tech for his senior season, pitched the Hokies (38-20) to a win over Virginia in the opening game of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament last week."

http://vtsports.blogs.timesdispatch.com/2013/05/28/hokies-to-start-mantiply-in-game-1-of-regionals/
Actually, one of Va Tech's best pitchers is a CT kid from Darien, Devin Burke. Watched the kid pitch on TV in the ACC tourney and he was pretty good. Actually VA Tech has 3 kids in all from CT but only Burke saw any real action. Start keeping these kinds of kids at home and the program continues to go up.

Reaction Score
Actually, one of Va Tech's best pitchers is a CT kid from Darien, Devin Burke. Watched the kid pitch on TV in the ACC tourney and he was pretty good. Actually VA Tech has 3 kids in all from CT but only Burke saw any real action. Start keeping these kinds of kids at home and the program continues to go up.

We have been keeping these kinds of kids home. There are 19 kids from Connecticut on this years roster.

Reaction Score
We have been keeping these kinds of kids home. There are 19 kids from Connecticut on this years roster.
Yes, I agree we have a lot of hometown kids on the team and we are doing a better job at keeping them at home. I'm just saying if we can keep the Matt Harvey etc. types at home we can certainly get to that next elite level. It just may not be possible just because of the climate of CT and kids want to go down south where it is warm.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Yes, I agree we have a lot of hometown kids on the team and we are doing a better job at keeping them at home. I'm just saying if we can keep the Matt Harvey etc. types at home we can certainly get to that next elite level. It just may not be possible just because of the climate of CT and kids want to go down south where it is warm.

We showed what happens when we do keep the Harvey types home when Penders got Springer and Barnes to come in the same year. I know they weren't as highly thought of as Harvey straight out of high school but in general it goes to show how good this program can be if it can get the top prospects to stay home. If that team didn't run into South Carolina in the Super Regionals there's a decent chance they were CWS bound.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Baseball America Blacksburg Preview:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/blacksburg-regional-preview/

>>Connecticut has a pair of key holdovers from the team that hosted a regional in 2010 and won a regional in 2011: senior second baseman L.J. Mazzilli (.364/.419/.534, 6 HR, 49 RBI, 28 SB) and senior center fielder Billy Ferriter (.285/.363/.357, 25 SB). That duo keys UConn’s high-pressure offense, the top two speed threats for a team that ranks 13th in the nation with 115 steals. Tom Verdi (19 SB) brings more speed out of the leadoff spot and also teams with Mazzilli to form a slick double-play tandem. Athletic freshman cleanup man Vinny Siena (.302/.371/.351) is another above-average runner with good arm strength at the hot corner, but he is fielding just .875. The Huskies rely on their patience to get on base and their speed to help them manufacture runs, but they don’t have a lot of punch in the lineup. They do have sound pitching, led by lefthander Anthony Marzi (5-6, 3.87) and righty Carson Cross (8-4, 2.50). Marzi, who threw a complete-game gem on two days’ rest in the Big East championship game, has good feel for his secondary stuff and does a good job keeping hitters off balance. The 6-foot-5 Cross works downhill and pounds the strike zone. Power sinkerballer Pat Butler (3-1, 2.23, 4 SV) gives the bullpen a senior anchor.< <

Reaction Score
Vinny_Siena 2:48pm via Instagram
#deadmenwalking #nike #uconn
instagram.com/p/Z_Joh2B-c8/

a568f09eca2211e2b9c422000a1f968f_7.jpg

Add a comment
B_Daniello11 2:49pm via Twitter for iPhone
Game day, on route to Va Tech. The Dead Men are still Walking, watch out VT here we come. 5:30 on ESPN 3. #shocktheworld #nation #bluecollar

BillyFerriter 2:51pm via Twitter for iPhone
Huskies didn't come down here to just participate, strictly a business trip #deadmenwalking #cathinthecloset #darty #jonesie #ACE #oaks

Reaction Score

Or play in a nice on campus facility (like VT, or Virginia or North Carolina). Or for that matter, a facility as nice as Eastern Connecticut's.

Reaction Score
Or play in a nice on campus facility (like VT, or Virginia or North Carolina). Or for that matter, a facility as nice as Eastern Connecticut's.

While it doesn't get the publicity that the building of the basketball practice facility gets, UConn announced a year or so ago fundraising initiatives to build new playing facilities for baseball, soccer, and softball. I imagine ice hockey is now on this list as well. I make a donation to athletics every year, and the last couple of years I've earmarked mine to the "enhancement" funds for the soccer and baseball fields. I definitely would encourage to do the same, and maybe one of these years this dream might actually become a reality.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones (@JonesCcj)
6/9/13, 7:51 PM
So UConn beat two CWS teams this year. #indiana #louisville

Beat IU 4-3 in extras back in beginning of the year @ B1G/BE Baseball Challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom