UConn Baseball 2014 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
JonesCcj11:35am via Web
2014 team was announced last night. Guys who were on fall team that are not on final roster: MIke Healey, Willie Nastasi and Joe Zanghi.

JonesCcj11:37am via Web
Also I have to check but I don't believe Ryan Brahm is eligible again this year. Tough break for a transfer from Avery Point.

Reaction Score
JonesCcj4:43pm via web
Hearing RS JR Jordan Tabakman was up to 94 on his fastball Sat. He will be a big key to UConn's season. Was huge in postseason last yr.

JonesCcj4:44pm via web
Had many roles last season for the Huskies but most certainly will be a weekend starter for the Huskies this year.

Reaction Score
JonesCcj4:43pm via web
Hearing RS JR Jordan Tabakman was up to 94 on his fastball Sat. He will be a big key to UConn's season. Was huge in postseason last yr.

JonesCcj4:44pm via web
Had many roles last season for the Huskies but most certainly will be a weekend starter for the Huskies this year.

The big question in my mind was what role Tabakman would have on this year's staff, whether he would be the closer or one of the weekend starters. With a 94 mile fastball, he would be part of a terrific 1-2-3 weekend punch of starters together with Carson Cross and Anthony Marzi. I'm guessing that puts Brian Ward as a middle of the week starter. Starting pitching will certainly be the strength of this club. We'll have to see what happens in the bullpen, which was hard hit by graduation. David Mahoney was a mainstay of the relief corps last season, so he would probably be the leading contender for the closer spot. The only other bullpen guy back with much experience is Max Slade. So it would seem that there will be plenty of bullpen opportunities open for the vaunted pitching arms that Penders has recruited.

Reaction Score
23.jpg

Reaction Score
Anybody know when they are going to release the roster since we are only 23 days away?

Reaction Score
Some things I noticed:
Callahan Brown - a big RHP by way of Mississippi State. Redshirt Fresh
Blake Davey - looks like a big Jr College transfer 6'3" 225 and plays INF and Catcher.
Testani listed as an Infielder and not Outfielder. Interesting since we seem to be deeper in the Infield.
Only guy not on roster expected to see was Jed Robinson. Seem to be very solid however in pitching. We know weekend rotation is set then when you can put Ward in midweek games with Colletti, very deep. Lot of freshmen arms. I imagine some RS's because of depth this year.
One that stood out was Ruotolo with build of 5'11" 240. Sounds like a possible closer? Power Arm maybe

Reaction Score
Davey is the surprise roster addition. It appears he can hit some. At least at the juco level. Both Davey & Karros are welcome hitting additions.
Sullivan & Olmstead should add pop from the frosh class.
Last year 4 frosh didn't make it to their soph seasons. So far, only one casualty from this years frosh class.

Reaction Score
In looking at our recruiting links there are mentions of Lamberti and Gorgas but don't see either of them on the roster?

Reaction Score
In looking at our recruiting links there are mentions of Lamberti and Gorgas but don't see either of them on the roster?
Lamberti & Gorgas are HS seniors who enter next year. I believe 9-10 HS seniors and 4 HS juniors have given Penders their commitments.
The names for both 2014 & 2015 appear earlier in this thread. As has been mentioned before, Gorgas is projected to go within the 1st 5 rounds of the MLB draft. Same with Rossamando, a member of the 2015 class.
Penders lost Milone to this years draft. He'll have to work extra hard to keep these two from going MLB before college.
The guy can recruit, though.

Reaction Score
Lamberti & Gorgas are HS seniors who enter next year. I believe 9-10 HS seniors and 4 HS juniors have given Penders their commitments.
The names for both 2014 & 2015 appear earlier in this thread. As has been mentioned before, Gorgas is projected to go within the 1st 5 rounds of the MLB draft. Same with Rossamando, a member of the 2015 class.
Penders lost Milone to this years draft. He'll have to work extra hard to keep these two from going MLB before college.
The guy can recruit, though.
Thanks for the update

Reaction Score
Some things I noticed:
Callahan Brown - a big RHP by way of Mississippi State. Redshirt Fresh
Blake Davey - looks like a big Jr College transfer 6'3" 225 and plays INF and Catcher.
Testani listed as an Infielder and not Outfielder. Interesting since we seem to be deeper in the Infield.
Only guy not on roster expected to see was Jed Robinson. Seem to be very solid however in pitching. We know weekend rotation is set then when you can put Ward in midweek games with Colletti, very deep. Lot of freshmen arms. I imagine some RS's because of depth this year.
One that stood out was Ruotolo with build of 5'11" 240. Sounds like a possible closer? Power Arm maybe

I just got a look at the roster for the first time just before writing this. Testani is now listed as both Infielder and Outfielder, so they must have done a quick update.

I found a small article on Blake Davey from a California newspaper announcing that he was going to UConn, saying he was primarily a DH in Junior College. By the way, I find it a bit amusing to have two catchers on the club with last names of Davey and David. That ought to keep WHUS baseball announcer Chris Jones on his toes.

With the exception of the starting pitching, which has a great amount of both quality and experience, I am struck by how young this team is. After David Mahoney, the relief corps is going to have a lot of innings going to the newcomers. The starting lineup has only three returning upper class men back in Verdi, Testani, and Yavarone, and I'm inclined to think of those three, Verdi is the only one with a real firm grasp of being a starter on opening day. This recruiting class has a lot of potential, and the Huskies are going to need several of these players to do well for this to be a successful season.

Reaction Score
So no Zanghi, the catcher from Milford. Also the two Litchfield County kids, Yahn and Risedorf, are not on the roster.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Zanghi didn't make it to 2nd semester. Yahn & Risedorf are HS seniors who won't enter UConn until Sept.

Reaction Score
I'm going to play my ignorant card. How many athletic scholarships is the baseball team allowed to give out?

Reaction Score
I'm going to play my ignorant card. How many athletic scholarships is the baseball team allowed to give out?

11.7 in total... Baseball is NOT a headcount sport - it's an equivalency sport. The overwhelming number of kids only receive partial scholarships and the total number of kids getting money can't exceed 30. full rides are rare.

Reaction Score
11.7 in total... Baseball is NOT a headcount sport - it's an equivalency sport. The overwhelming number of kids only receive partial scholarships and the total number of kids getting money can't exceed 30. full rides are rare.
Thanks medic, I knew it was something like that with partials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom