UConn baseball 2-4 | The Boneyard

UConn baseball 2-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, disappointing back to back weekends. It's unfortunate now that we head into Mississippi State and Oregon on consecutive weekend needing 3-1 or 4-0 series results. The infield, outfield, number 2 starter and some of the set-up/closers are an issue. We better get this fixed or this year will certainly be a challenge.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
pitching just doesn't sound good so far cept for ward. could be a rough year ahead for rebuilding.

Reaction Score
pitching just doesn't sound good so far cept for ward. could be a rough year ahead for rebuilding.
I agree - Besides Dettman, Jolin, Moore, Healy, Ward, and Marzi it's been a tough go with the rest of the staff so far. Some of the position players need to be firmed up as well. We can not venture into the Big East regular season with the line-up put forth this weekend.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think Ferriter being out really hurts the offense. And also I won't be too quick to rush to judgment on these guys. I'll start firming up my position on them after the next series they play. If things haven't improved by then I'll start worrying. As of right now things aren't looking too good but things can change really fast in baseball.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We have played fairly good teams, but we need to play better...especially defensively. Next weekend is critical.

Reaction Score
I agree and nobody is giving up on this team. Here are couple of stats to year to date:
Errors after 6 games total 14 (12 last year) for a .934 fielding percentage while opponents are at .956. Opponents are hitting 35 points better .266 vs. .231.
UConn is 4-11 (36%) in stolen bases while opponents are 6-8 (75%).
Pitchers have balked 3 times and hit 7 batters with a 4.88 ERA.

Hopefully improvement begins this weekend. Lipscomb is 1-2 with losses against Kent State. Mississippi State will be a very difficult opponent. They are 6-1 with wins against Washington State, Kansas, and Mississippi State.Here are some of their stats:

They have committed 6 errors and have a fielding percentage of .979.
Their team batting average is a hefty .303. (6 players over .300), .103 better than their opponents. They are 7-8 in stolen bases for 87% while opponents are 63%.
Team ERA is 1.88

It will be interesting to see how the pitching rotation is scheduled as UConn plays MSU in games 2 & 4.

Reaction Score
Ward has been superb. Marzi took a no hitter vs URI into the 6th. Dettman, Jolin, Fischer, Tabakman, & Healy all pitched well in relief. Some of these guys will eventually start. Especially Tabakman & Dettmann.
With Martin @ 3rd (he hasn't played in the field in 3 + years) and Fuller switching from 3rd to 1st, our infield needs to get a feel for each other before jelling.
Good to see Penders using true frosh all over the field. This wasn't the case last year. Ward & Marzi only saw the mound after some suspensions at mid season.

Reaction Score
Its going to take time but hopefully the team comes around by the time Big East play starts. You have to remember it took Ward til about the mid way point of the season last year before he "clicked" and now look at what he is doing for us. Like all but the most elite freshmen (unfortunately only the elite programs get those kids) , it takes time for them to have the game slow down and come to them instead of always being back on their heels. What I will be looking for right now is fewer errors, no more balks and far fewer hit batters as the nerves of the new season start to settle. We might also have to accept the fact that this could be a rebuilding year and keep one eye on the future hoping that we can build on the growth of the young guys this year and setting us up for a run next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom