UConn Announces New Visual Identity | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Announces New Visual Identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I like where you're heads at but the reveal date has been advertised as 4/18. Knowing our marketing department they'll be pulling an all-nighter on the 17th to finalize this thing.

Yes, but they could reveal new uniforms with this new UCONN logo this weekend.

Reaction Score
I am alot less nervous over the potential butchering of Jonathan after seeing the wordmark. I like it. No complaints at all.
I like the UCONN emphasis. It makes sense. However, I am begging that President Herbst doesn't allow Nike to dramatically change the Husky. Her comment that it is really a samoyed makes me nervous. If they intend to have a multi-colored husky, not only will we be violating our tradition, but we will end up with a husky that looks like hundreds of other college and hs mascots. Susan, there are indeed White Siberian Huskies. It is a genetic thing. Please view this link and think twice before you destroy our tradition and distinctness. Jonathon is the real dog!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.huskycolors.com/white.html

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Where did she say or imply it would not be out traditional all white Husky?

I really hope they kept it white because it is distinct to UConn.

Reaction Score
Where did she say or imply it would not be out traditional all white Husky?

I really hope they kept it white because it is distinct to UConn.
He will still be white.

People forget that Jonathan is a real live dog. He goes to every game and walks around campus. You can't change his color but you can change how the style of the logo is presented.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I like the UCONN emphasis. It makes sense. However, I am begging that President Herbst doesn't allow Nike to dramatically change the Husky. Her comment that it is really a samoyed makes me nervous. If they intend to have a multi-colored husky, not only will we be violating our tradition, but we will end up with a husky that looks like hundreds of other college and hs mascots. Susan, there are indeed White Siberian Huskies. It is a genetic thing. Please view this link and think twice before you destroy our tradition and distinctness. Jonathon is the real dog!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.huskycolors.com/white.html

While there are white huskies and our mascot is a white husky, the cute "husky" with the red tongue uconn uses looks way more like a samoyed. I dont think I've seen a husky that has a head with such shaggy fur

Upon further review I guess Jonathan is an American Husky which I always called an american eskimo dog which is a member of he spitz family.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
skateboard-2.jpg

Reaction Score
Herbst's quote from the Courant article:

Herbst also said the much anticipated new husky dog logo will be released on April 18. Of the current UConn husky dog, Herbst said, "He's very cute, but the bad news is he's not a husky. He's actually a Samoyed. I'm not sure how that happened."

She said the new iteration of the mascot will look more like a real husky.

"I can assure you that contrary to speculation, he will not appear to be mean, snarling or capable of frightening small children.,'' Herbst said. "He will be rendered as the sleek, beautiful animal a real husky truly is."

samoyed.jpg

This is a Samoyed, and it definitely resembles the current Husky logo. I gather from Herbst's comments that there's a good chance the new logo could look more like a Siberian Husky, or maybe a white husky like we've had, but not as furry.

Hard to say. We just have to wait & see it to judge.

Reaction Score
One of my sources just sent me a picture of the new mascot:

index6.jpg

This is the real-life dog that will be the model for the imagery they produce for logos, etc.

I don't know my dog breeds very well, but I hope they got it right this time. So far I like what I see.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Herbst's quote from the Courant article:

Herbst also said the much anticipated new husky dog logo will be released on April 18. Of the current UConn husky dog, Herbst said, "He's very cute, but the bad news is he's not a husky. He's actually a Samoyed. I'm not sure how that happened."

She said the new iteration of the mascot will look more like a real husky.

"I can assure you that contrary to speculation, he will not appear to be mean, snarling or capable of frightening small children.,'' Herbst said. "He will be rendered as the sleek, beautiful animal a real husky truly is."

samoyed.jpg

This is a Samoyed, and it definitely resembles the current Husky logo. I gather from Herbst's comments that there's a good chance the new logo could look more like a Siberian Husky, or maybe a white husky like we've had, but not as furry.

Hard to say. We just have to wait & see it to judge.

This is a Siberian Husky it also resembles the current logo.

SiberianHuskyNorm2.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The logo is definitely Samoyed - I'm not sure how it happened either.

Huskies are just a little sharper in their features and maybe less "smiley".

Although the standard says that our Jonathans can have as much as 25% Samoyed or Akita in him, I'm pretty sure the current dog is 100% Siberian Husky. He's a good looking pup...

002177191.jpg

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think the reason for the confusion might be that the 1980's logo was more drawn, while the redesign from 2002 was more streamlined / "logo-ified" which made it look like the dog's snout was shorter and the fur might look bushier. But it's based on the same art.

Also, the real Jonathan's tongue hangs way out, who knew. I guess for the next logo he should do the "SQUIRREL!" look.

Reaction Score
One of my sources just sent me a picture of the new mascot:

index6.jpg

This is the real-life dog that will be the model for the imagery they produce for logos, etc.

I don't know my dog breeds very well, but I hope they got it right this time. So far I like what I see.

This one may not frighten children, but it scares the heck out of me :)

Reaction Score
The current Husky logo from the 80’s and 90’s (before it was streamlined in 2002) was designed by the same local (Storrs) artist who designed the Johnathan statue outside Gampel. He based the logo on his own dog, which was a Samoyed or Samoyed/Husky mix. Can't remember. I met him once when I was a student in the 1990’s.

http://www.artandtheanimal.net/bio.php

Reaction Score
I think the reason for the confusion might be that the 1980's logo was more drawn, while the redesign from 2002 was more streamlined / "logo-ified" which made it look like the dog's snout was shorter and the fur might look bushier. But it's based on the same art.

Also, the real Jonathan's tongue hangs way out, who knew. I guess for the next logo he should do the "SQUIRREL!" look.

Youre right. I always said with the 2002 redesign, it looked liked Jonathan put on a few pounds. I like the older one better.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The logo is definitely Samoyed - I'm not sure how it happened either.

Huskies are just a little sharper in their features and maybe less "smiley".

Although the standard says that our Jonathans can have as much as 25% Samoyed or Akita in him, I'm pretty sure the current dog is 100% Siberian Husky. He's a good looking pup...

002177191.jpg

So there is a perfect model for the new logo. Let's get the Samoyed look out of there. Less smiley, and shorter fur. Less "fluffy". A faithful working sled dog or family pet...capable of biting the nuts off of any "Orangemen" it encounters (if they have any), and snacking on Cardinals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom