UConn #60 in US News Rankings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn #60 in US News Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not going to happen, in fact just the opposite. Herbst's plan has been to grow the enrollment. Since the vast majority of UConn applicants are from CT and the number of CT high school grads is either flat or declining the most likely scenarios are as follows:

This hasn't been true in over a decade. 2003 was the last year with more in-state applications than out-of-state.

Reaction Score
Also, Herbst may not have even noticed this, but Villanova moved into the rankings for the first time and pushed everyone down.
I noticed that as well. Surprised they aren't higher, actually.

Reaction Score
This hasn't been true in over a decade. 2003 was the last year with more in-state applications than out-of-state.

My bad, you are correct. I should have said students not applicants. The last number I saw was about 75% of undergrads were CT residents.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really? I would put them much much lower.

Why is a school like Nova considered a national university vs. a school like Santa Clara University (#2 ranked west regional) is only regional? They are both private and similar in size.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's something you don't understand. White people in the South may have denied blacks from high-paying jobs, but they had to hire them for agricultural jobs as they didn't want to do them. The reason That a lot of blacks left the labor force under LBJ was because they got more in welfare benefits than they did from their low wage jobs. LBJ figured out a way to get blacks dependent on the government and get their votes at the same time.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make - that the 1950s were better for blacks because they were able to be held back (presumably via withholding education, labor discrimination, etc.) in de facto slave labor agricultural jobs? As for participation rates, are you aware that agricultural automation has eliminated most of those jobs and the roles that can't be automated (e.g. picking season for some crops) are largely performed by transient labor? Total farm employment is a minute fraction of 1950s levels. So, perhaps it was not LBJ making them dependent, but the result of holding an entire race back for hundreds of years so many were not prepared for this change in employment patterns nor did they have the accumulated economic assets to pursue other options.

Reaction Score
In reality, these US News rankings are nonsense and largely meaningless. They're formulaic and reliant upon the schools actually participating in the information gathering that the magazine does. Some schools in the past notoriously didn't participate and were lower in the rankings than they would be otherwise. The problem is, so many parents use this as the gospel of what a "good school" is that they've become too popular to not play along with their game.

Reaction Score
Why is a school like Nova considered a national university vs. a school like Santa Clara University (#2 ranked west regional) is only regional? They are both private and similar in size.

How U.S. News Calculated the 2017 Best Colleges Rankings

"National Universities offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master's and doctoral programs, and emphasize faculty research."

"Regional Universities offer a broad scope of undergraduate degrees and some master's degree programs but few, if any, doctoral programs. Regional Colleges focus on undergraduate education but grant fewer than 50 percent of their degrees in liberal arts disciplines; this category also includes schools that have small bachelor's degree programs but primarily grant two-year associate degrees."

Reaction Score
In reality, these US News rankings are nonsense and largely meaningless. They're formulaic and reliant upon the schools actually participating in the information gathering that the magazine does. Some schools in the past notoriously didn't participate and were lower in the rankings than they would be otherwise. The problem is, so many parents use this as the gospel of what a "good school" is that they've become too popular to not play along with their game.

Well, if only Carnegie would release their info publicly, then maybe parents would have a better idea. I suspect though that Carnegie needs the money (because it spends a ton bringing experts in to evaluate departments with a fine toothed comb over several days and even weeks) and because parents wouldn't really know what they were looking at. Carnegie would also lose customers if it ever decided to actually rank departments.

Having seen the Carnegie reports, they are very detailed and telling. You can see exactly how your department ranks in any metric, how your college (i.e. college inside a university) ranks, and that gives you an overall idea.

If you put the Carnegie stuff next to USNews, there is just a world of difference. The Carneige stuff look much more like the AAU, which isn't good or bad for UConn since UConn would still be around 60 in those numbers, but a lot of schools in the USNWP list would drop off.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
As if that's a bad thing.

I'm a straight, while male, so yeah that'd be great for me!

Oh wait, I'm Jewish, so I'd be subject to quotas for college and I wouldn't be able to live anywhere in Fairfield County.

But otherwise, 1950 is great! Sure, my friends J & M can't get married because they're gay, and sure my friends N & P can't get married where they want because they're an interracial couple (and sure they can't even eat at the same restaurant in some states) and sure my sister can't get into the universities she wants to or pursue the career she want, but otherwise, terrific!

Reaction Score
The US News rankings do serve an important purpose. Otherwise, old reputations would basically be among the ways to weigh college quality.

Reaction Score
The US News rankings do serve an important purpose. Otherwise, old reputations would basically be among the ways to weigh college quality.
they do serve a purpose. but you have people on here reading these rankings and making them to be far more than they are.
from one year to the next I hardly think one data point is meaningful. Over 5-10 years, and 5-10 datapoints is more telling.
Still not the end-all determining factor as to the academic merits of a school.

Reaction Score
National Championship? :cool:

Reaction Score

US News puts a huge amount of emphasis on old reputations.

I saw today where they asked university presidents to rank business schools out of a list of 30 schools. It was a dummy test to see how these questionnaires are filled out. 1/3rd of the schools on the list did not even have business schools. Princeton finished #2 to Harvard. Princeton doesn't have a business school. Maybe they were thinking of U. Penn.?

Reaction Score
I can't believe no one is complaining about Georgia being #56.
Georgia?

Vanderbilt and Florida, fine. But Georgia?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can't believe no one is complaining about Georgia being #56.
Georgia?

Vanderbilt and Florida, fine. But Georgia?

Actually, Georgia was long the best public school in the SEC before Florida passed them. I always wonder if that was real or based on nonsense metrics at Florida. Alabama is pretty solid on the research end.

Reaction Score
Florida is a good school and very hard to get into but I truly believe they are number fudgers. UF grads have an insane drive to win at everything in my experience. Always rubs me the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom