Men - UConn @ #25 UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (Friday 3/8/24 @7p (ET), Saturday 3/9/24 @6p (ET) & Sunday 3/10/24 @4p (EDT). All games on ESPN+/Mixlr | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ #25 UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (Friday 3/8/24 @7p (ET), Saturday 3/9/24 @6p (ET) & Sunday 3/10/24 @4p (EDT). All games on ESPN+/Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, after a no out single, a double play eliminates the baserunner. Carrea comes out of the game, Mayer takes the mound.

Mayer gets a strikeout to end the inning. 12-1 Gauchos.

Reaction Score
Top 9th, UConn offense goes down in order with 2 strikeouts.

Gauchos with a 12-1 win, they get a sweep of the series.

Reaction Score
Well then. Might be a long year.

It is true that we started 4-10 a few years back and ended pretty strong.

Reaction Score
Trip report
  • I’m not even in my seat and Tammaro swings at the first pitch and pops it up, can we please lead Daniels off? what am I missing here?
  • SQuigs got hit really hard by their left handed bats. Add to that the free 90s and you get that type of outing. He did a nice job getting out of that bases loaded jam but that’s only positive. Put them in a 4-0 hole early and that was effectively the ball game.
  • there’s high quality ABs, low quality ABs and no quality ABs. Today’s ABs were no quality. Not competitve. Garbo‘s was typical, take breaking ball Strike 1, fast ball down the pipe strike 2 swing out of zone strike 3. A caveat to this is UCSB has a very good pitching staff and it’s deep. For the college level they know how to pitch, locate and change speeds. They throw first pitch strikes and they pitch downhill. However today their pitch sequences weren’t even changing. I think they knew they were dominant and dared uconn to hit it.
  • I know they are playing better teams but the hit batsmen and the walks are controllables. And by the way UCSB/Auburn aren’t Wake, TCU and LSU. They’re good but not elite.
  • one minor bright spot is cookie threw well in short stint. Good velocity.
  • the takeaway from all of this is they aren't competitive against ranked teams. That gives you a baseline. But going down to Rutgers is no picnic. Ditto for BC/NE. So coaching staff has to find a way to fix this or losses are really going to start piling up fast. The games they happen to be in they give away like yesterday where UCSB was handed the game.
  • I will be at UCLA Tuesday night let’s see if it changes. Can’t remember the last time they lost 9 of 10. May need to look it up.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I wonder how many times our side has been retired in order. Feels like 50% of the time. Can't pitch and can't hit...yet.

Reaction Score
Trip report
  • I’m not even in my seat and Tammaro swings at the first pitch and pops it up, can we please lead Daniels off? what am I missing here?
  • SQuigs got hit really hard by their left handed bats. Add to that the free 90s and you get that type of outing. He did a nice job getting out of that bases loaded jam but that’s only positive. Put them in a 4-0 hole early and that was effectively the ball game.
  • there’s high quality ABs, low quality ABs and no quality ABs. Today’s ABs were no quality. Not competitve. Garbo‘s was typical, take breaking ball Strike 1, fast ball down the pipe strike 2 swing out of zone strike 3. A caveat to this is UCSB has a very good pitching staff and it’s deep. For the college level they know how to pitch, locate and change speeds. They throw first pitch strikes and they pitch downhill. However today their pitch sequences weren’t even changing. I think they knew they were dominant and dared uconn to hit it.
  • I know they are playing better teams but the hit batsmen and the walks are controllables. And by the way UCSB/Auburn aren’t Wake, TCU and LSU. They’re good but not elite.
  • one minor bright spot is cookie threw well in short stint. Good velocity.
  • the takeaway from all of this is they aren't competitive against ranked teams. That gives you a baseline. But going down to Rutgers is no picnic. Ditto for BC/NE. So coaching staff has to find a way to fix this or losses are really going to start piling up fast. The games they happen to be in they give away like yesterday where UCSB was handed the game.
  • I will be at UCLA Tuesday night let’s see if it changes. Can’t remember the last time they lost 9 of 10. May need to look it up.
Yea it was a tough series, to say the least. They get an opportunity right away with some midweeks. I think ur comments a month or so ago, were spot on…a lot to figure out as a team but just maybe not necessarily in the areas the coaches anticipated as the season is a few weeks old now.

This season’s schedule is a start and I hope they continue to become more difficult. The timing sucks to be playing some of these programs, that’s all. Somebody mentioned in here weeks back, the HS recruit will again become focal point of the recruiting when it applies to Uconn and I tend to agree with that…it seems that’s what has been the staff’s strength for decades now. Development. Their getting these guys more advanced, but with a lot “bad habits” in relation to fundamentals…hence the high walk rates for the pitching staff the past 2 seasons, also the high strikeout rate for its batters. Maybe that’s the rationale with Minnick and some other frosh or inexperienced players moving forward. Still some 40 games left, I just don’t wanna have to rely on a conf tournament win as being the only means into the ncaa’s and it’s not even April! Speaking as fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom