Uconn - 22nd toughest schedule in the country | The Boneyard

Uconn - 22nd toughest schedule in the country

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
So if they go 12-0 they might have a shot at the top 4?

Really though this just means it's highly unlikely that a 6-6 UConn team would somehow get screwed out of a bowl game this year.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. For the past two years, I've been reading snow on this forum from people who are angry because of the quality of our opponents. Many are saying they want to be in a conference that will bring quality opponents into the Rent. They are threatening not to go to ball games because of the lack of quality opponents. Of course, their perception is that Michigan, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois,Minnesota, etc. are the quality opponents they'd come to see.

But now we are faced with the 22nd most difficult schedule in the country. I'd submit that says something about quality of opponent, doncha think? But, especially now that we are rebuilding, it's highly likely that we are still looking at a 2-10 season, even if we are significantly improved. These same folks will be complaining about how bad we are losing to the dregs of college football every week, and they are threatening not to show up at the Rent in what, retaliation???

If we were in the Big 10, we'd still be looking at 2-10 seasons against that level of competition which might not be better that the schedule we have now in terms of quality of opponent. We'd just be playing against teams that people are more familiar with. As I look at the schedule, the very BEST we can hope for is 5-7 and likely not even there.

You really can't have it both ways. If anyone thinks that, because we are in the Big 10, we suddenly are going to be able to compete for national football championships, I want some of what you are smoking. What's more important now is patience and supporting the team while they work themselves back to respectability.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. For the past two years, I've been reading e on this forum from people who are angry because of the quality of our opponents. Many are saying they want to be in a conference that will bring quality opponents into the Rent. They are threatening not to go to ball games because of the lack of quality opponents. Of course, their perception is that Michigan, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois,Minnesota, etc. are the quality opponents they'd come to see.

But now we are faced with the 22nd most difficult schedule in the country. I'd submit that says something about quality of opponent, doncha think? But, especially now that we are rebuilding, it's highly likely that we are still looking at a 2-10 season, even if we are significantly improved. These same folks will be complaining about how bad we are losing to the dregs of college football every week, and they are threatening not to show up at the Rent in what, retaliation???

If we were in the Big 10, we'd still be looking at 2-10 seasons against that level of competition which might not be better that the schedule we have now in terms of quality of opponent. We'd just be playing against teams that people are more familiar with. As I look at the schedule, the very BEST we can hope for is 5-7 and likely not even there.

You really can't have it both ways. If anyone thinks that, because we are in the Big 10, we suddenly are going to be able to compete for national football championships, I want some of what you are smoking. What's more important now is patience and supporting the team while they work themselves back to respectability.

I have always thought the level of competition plus the OOC games was good quality, albeit as you say with lesser known commodities. Granted their are many who totally trash this conference but more so for the perception of it being comprised of former CUSA teams. As we witnessed with UCF's beat down of Baylor in the 2013 Fiesta and Houston's come from behind bowl win over Pitt, the American has potential. They key is for members of the league to do well against the OOC opponents during the regular season and bowls. Then if
Aresco can rework the TV deal and the Playoffs expand to 8, the American has a chance to be relevant with the P5's. Naturally an invite from the B1G or the ACC will result in UCONN's exodus from the American. We can't hold our breath. We have to win now! Gonna be a tough schedule. I agree it dosn't look promising. I am hoping for steady progress and some surprises!

Reaction Score
I have always thought the level of competition plus the OOC games was good quality, albeit as you say with lesser known commodities. Granted their are many who totally trash this conference but more so for the perception of it being comprised of former CUSA teams. As we witnessed with UCF's beat down of Baylor in the 2013 Fiesta and Houston's come from behind bowl win over Pitt, the American has potential. They key is for members of the league to do well against the OOC opponents during the regular season and bowls. Then if
Aresco can rework the TV deal and the Playoffs expand to 8, the American has a chance to be relevant with the P5's. Naturally an invite from the B1G or the ACC will result in UCONN's exodus from the American. We can't hold our breath. We have to win now! Gonna be a tough schedule. I agree it dosn't look promising. I am hoping for steady progress and some surprises!

I'd also like to add that I think some of the AAC teams got a bump in strength according to the "analysts" because of some of the great OC's that were brought in to these league. SO I think that has also affect UCONN's SOS.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. For the past two years, I've been reading e on this forum from people who are angry because of the quality of our opponents. Many are saying they want to be in a conference that will bring quality opponents into the Rent. They are threatening not to go to ball games because of the lack of quality opponents. Of course, their perception is that Michigan, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois,Minnesota, etc. are the quality opponents they'd come to see.

So have you actually looked at that schedule and saw how many of the teams that make it such a tough schedule actually play at the Rent this year? I'd put the number at 2 depending on what you deem as quality. ECU and Navy are the only ones I can see.

Why should we be excited for this schedule in regards to games we can see at the Rent?

The schedule is tough because we play Missouri, BYU, Cincy, and UCF away. I don't think the home slate of 'Nova, Army, USF, and Houston are what people are drawn to.

Reaction Score
So have you actually looked at that schedule and saw how many of the teams that make it such a tough schedule actually play at the Rent this year? I'd put the number at 2 depending on what you deem as quality. ECU and Navy are the only ones I can see.

Why should we be excited for this schedule in regards to games we can see at the Rent?

The schedule is tough because we play Missouri, BYU, Cincy, and UCF away. I don't think the home slate of 'Nova, Army, USF, and Houston are what people are drawn to.

I personally couldn't careless who came into The Rent. I love watching football games at the stadium. And I'll be at the game whether it's against the last place FCS team or against Alabama. Obviously certain games are easier to get excited about, but that doesn't mean you should avoid games because we're not playing a P5 team. It's only going to get harder scheduling those teams because they only want to play each other and use teams in the same conference, but for an opposite division as OOC games.

Try to be happy with what we have and when we start winning, then the bigger names will come calling,.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I personally couldn't careless who came into The Rent. I love watching football games at the stadium. And I'll be at the game whether it's against the last place FCS team or against Alabama. Obviously certain games are easier to get excited about, but that doesn't mean you should avoid games because we're not playing a P5 team. It's only going to get harder scheduling those teams because they only want to play each other and use teams in the same conference, but for an opposite division as OOC games.

Try to be happy with what we have and when we start winning, then the bigger names will come calling,.
I'm not saying I don't enjoy going to games. I just find it silly to say people need to stop complaining about the schedule because we have the 22 toughest. In reality that doesn't translate into a good home slate. So I don't see any reason for folks to question shelling out money to see a schedule as poor and uninspiring as the one we have this season. It's just reality. Games are a lot of fun but the average fan isn't going to come out for many of the games we have at home this year unless the team somehow surprises.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying I don't enjoy going to games. I just find it silly to say people need to stop complaining about the schedule because we have the 22 toughest. In reality that doesn't translate into a good home slate. So I don't see any reason for folks to question shelling out money to see a schedule as poor and uninspiring as the one we have this season. It's just reality. Games are a lot of fun but the average fan isn't going to come out for many of the games we have at home this year unless the team somehow surprises.

OK I see your point now. I would love to see big name teams on our schedule and hopefully that starts this year by getting back to a bowl game and proving that we can add value to the B1G

Reaction Score
Author of article watched a different BYU-Memphis game than everyone else.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't believe the premise, at all. Just about every SEC and Pac12 team has a tougher schedule as do most of the B12 and B1G.

Reaction Score
This is similar to what UConn FB fans have heard from time to time the last 4-5 decades.

Going back to the old Yankee Conference/A-10 1-aa levels of play, "one of the toughest schedules" usually equated to saying "based on perceived talent, UConn isn't expected to win many games, in or OOC competition". And their predictions in the 70's and 80's were usually spot on. Another similarity I see between those days and now is UConn played in what was perceived to be playing in a conference that was considered a non factor at the 1-aa level.......the Yankee Conference.

Then what happened? I can remember the headlines on the cover of a perennial preseason college football magazine as if I read it yesterday.....but the year was 1984: "What happened to the Yankee Conference?"

What happened was a number of conference teams started getting decent caliber QB's and receivers and competing with the OOC "powerhouses" of the 1-aa level. And they added some name 1-aa teams to the conference.......Delaware and Richmond. Then UConn hired coaches such as Tom Jackson and Skip Holtz and all of a sudden UConn became relevant in a now "relevant" conference at the 1-aa level. Eventually, before going 1-a, UConn found itself going to a 1-aa playoff.....and lost in the second round to a perennial contender for the 1-aa championship.......Georgia Southern....in a very competitive game.

Since UConn left the Yankee/A10 conference, the conference has maintained its integrity at the 1-aa level, sending multiple teams to the national playoffs, and winning the 1-aa NC a couple of times the last 15 or so years.

Does this have a familiar ring?

Nationally the AAC is perceived as irrelevant. UConn's schedule is one of the toughest in the country.....because not many expect it to win many games.....in or out of conference. Being a college FB fan for decades, I'm not too upset about "the unknown" names in the conference. ECU and UCF has generally fielded decent teams.......and play competitively against quality OOC competition. I know some West Virginia fans who feared seeing ECU on their schedule because of a real possibility they could loose to them. The teams don't have glitzy names, but some have decent histories in college FB.

UCF, ECU, Cincinnati can add some decent OOC wins to the conference resume. Houston and SMU are "pouring" tons of money into facilities and gaining prominent coaches in a rich recruiting grounds. I wouldn't be surprised if they start making noise in the near future. Personally I think they have an eye on possibly rejoining some of their old SWC partners in the BIG 12 if additional conference realignments pop up on the horizon.

I have confidence that the old Yankee conference headlines in 1984 can reappear on the horizon for the AAC........"What has happened to the AAC?"..........which may be followed with "BD revives UConn's program".

I get it.....everyone, including me, likes the glitzy names. However given the fact the AAC doesn't have that glitz right now, I am still going to show up at games to support the program and kids.....regardless of who is on the schedule. This all makes me think back to my little league days.........on a team that wasn't expected to do or win much, if at all. Yet my dad showed up at every game. I would have felt horrible if he didn't.

I love college FB, I love UConn. Just think how the players feel looking at vacant seats as if "nobody cares". Everyone has reasons for going or not going to games.....and I'm fine with that. But as for me, I will not contribute to a players "horrible feeling"

Reaction Score

Yeah, further illustrates how this is sheer lunacy.

Memphis and Miss State's 10 wins last year are weighted equally. Something tells me that Miss St. would be a tougher game.

The rest of the AAC according to this idiotic metric:

36. SMU
70. USF
82. Tulane
89. Tulsa
105. Temple
109. Cincy
111. Houston
115. ECU
120. Navy
121. Memphis
122. UCF

Reaction Score
Not an easy schedule but do not think it is anywhere near 22nd. Anyway does not make a difference if 2nd hardest or 122nd hardest, just need to win more games as much more important where we rank in December not where our schedule ranks in March.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
So if they go 12-0 they might have a shot at the top 4?

Really though this just means it's highly unlikely that a 6-6 UConn team would somehow get screwed out of a bowl game this year.

6-6 is optimistic. I'm thinking 4-8 or 5-7. But I expect the losses to be much closer this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I've been saying it's a tough schedule.

It's especially tough because of the home road split.

It is a tough schedule and an unattractive home slate at the same time.

Also at the same time it's not the 22nd toughest schedule. Don't even need to look at OOC - anyone in the SEC, PAC 12 or Big 12 has a tougher schedule.

From an athletic standpoint I'd also rather be in the ACC. It's a better basketball conference and it gives UConn a chance in football. It's the damn 20 million difference in the Big 10...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Pretty simply:

If UConn had Kansas' schedule in 2015. Their over/under would be 1.5 wins and 0-12 would be on the table.

Reaction Score

Sadly... People care more about the perceived quality of an opponent than the actual quality of an opponent. Its the way fans in college sports behave now. they don't care if its a crappy 5-7 Penn State, Michigan team as long as B10... but ifs a good non-Power5 team they start complaining and threatening they won't attend the games.

Its what the TV media has done to our sports. If an opponent doesn't have the visibility the big boys enjoy... then everyone thinks that they suck

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sadly... People care more about the perceived quality of an opponent than the actual quality of an opponent. Its the way fans in college sports behave now. they don't care if its a crappy 5-7 Penn State, Michigan team as long as B10... but ifs a good non-Power5 team they start complaining and threatening they won't attend the games.

Its what the TV media has done to our sports. If an opponent doesn't have the visibility the big boys enjoy... then everyone thinks that they suck

This isn't sad. It's reality. Everyone would always rather play a mediocre Michigan or Florida than a strong ECU. People want to see teams they have heard of before, even better if those teams are down and you might actually beat them. Who the hell wants to play a really strong no-name team? That's a lose lose situation. The people UConn needs to go to games are casual fans. The name on the uniform is far more important than anything else. History, prestige, fame, these things matter.

Agree with others that this is not the 22nd toughest schedule. Not close. As for UConn magically being better in the B1G? Who said that? We'd initially be worse against that schedule. But we'd get more fans, more donations and better recruits, so we would be better in a few years.

Reaction Score
This isn't sad. It's reality. Everyone would always rather play a mediocre Michigan or Florida than a strong ECU. People want to see teams they have heard of before, even better if those teams are down and you might actually beat them. Who the hell wants to play a really strong no-name team? That's a lose lose situation. The people UConn needs to go to games are casual fans. The name on the uniform is far more important than anything else. History, prestige, fame, these things matter.

Agree with others that this is not the 22nd toughest schedule. Not close. As for UConn magically being better in the B1G? Who said that? We'd initially be worse against that schedule. But we'd get more fans, more donations and better recruits, so we would be better in a few years.

I'd equate UConn FB moving to the B1G to UConn Hockey moving to Hockey East. We hopefully have the right coach in place right now and if the move happened today, we'll take some lumps the first couple years, but we'll see a spike in attendance and should see "better" recruits. Overall it will improve the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom