UConn 2016-17 sked | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn 2016-17 sked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You know what's really scary? What if they don't loose 4 or 5?

THAT is what's on the minds of opposing coaches. What if UConn doesn't take that "dip" that a lot of on-lookers expect and predict they will? We (UConn Nation) can see far enough down the road that based on the talent that's coming in the next two years, UConn will no doubt return to a position of dominance.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
THAT is what's on the minds of opposing coaches. What if UConn doesn't take that "dip" that a lot of on-lookers expect and predict they will? We (UConn Nation) can see far enough down the road that based on the talent that's coming in the next two years, UConn will no doubt return to a position of dominance.
I think it's important for other coaches to pay attention to UConn this year and watch how Geno handles his team. It's very apparent in OCC play who is prepared and who isn't and that's regardless if you win or lose. I like last years OOC schedule because of how diverse all the teams we played were. The squad got to see all kinds of different offenses and defenses and it clearly made them better. This year will be more of the same with a younger group so I am excited to watch them grow. That is a mistake I think too many coaches make. They don't allow their teams to see different styles of basketball throughout the year. I know you can't choose your conference but coaches have a certain amount of control over their OOC. Also, I am shocked at the number of ranked teams who's stats never changed over the coarse of the year? How is that possible.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
When the beginnings of the OOC was initially announced I said that The UConn could lose up to 4 games next season. However I also said Geno's team will be a hard nosed, gritty, feral team that will be different and more cohesive by the end of the season. This teams basketball IQ will be off the charts and by tourney time no one will want to play them. Catch them early because during the Big Boogie teams will see nothing but their tails.
Good one

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Your link takes me to last year's schedule. I'd be surprised if locations have been finalized yet.
Click to the next year and you'll see this... Granted it's just the OOC for now but still.

upload_2016-6-21_16-10-31.png

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Before we start predicting how many games we will lose lets take a look at what our opponents graduated. We are a really talented team with a 6'5 post player who can score and rebound. One of our strengths this season is we will be a great rebounding team. Chong can handle the point without many mistakes. Saniya becomes a scorer like in HS and its a big plus. We play defense and many of our opponents cant match our defense and a couple of them have inexperience at the guard positions which would mean more turnovers. Katie Lou developed in to a very good all round scorers. Collier has shown she can perform under pressure in the NCAAs. We were winning most games by 20+ against good teams last season and thats with Geno calling off the dogs. Im not giving in thinking we are going to lose 4 or more games. We are battle tested, we play terrific defense, we are quick, and we have very good ballhandlers. All that spells very few turnovers. IMO teams will lose games to UConn because of mistakes and lack of defense. Last years team relied on the Big 3. This season they will rely on each other. This years team will have balance from 1-8 and will all contribute. Im looking forward to a very good season.

Reaction Score
Geno & CD are geniuses to know how to forge this team for a run at #12.
Not 1 other ncaa div 1 coach comes close.
Last season was fun, but this season will be EPIC.

Reaction Score
We know that Kim's been calling day and night for the past three years, and looks like she finally got through to schedule one this year. I'm sure she's sad to have missed the departing seniors.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Baylor will be a very good team this season. The matchup between UConn and Baylor will be a good one. Although early in the season a tuff matchup like this will expose weakness's and where the teams need work. UConn will be fine. We won most of our games last season going away and although we lost our Big 3 other teams have lost alot too. Dont forget Baylor and ND both didnt make the FF last season and have graduated players so dont be so quick to think they are way better then UConn. UConn is disciplined and a great defensive team and IMO Butler in the middle will make this team go on both sides of the ball. I dont expect as many 30pt+ wins as last season but I do expect a ungrad class that will put on a show and surprise alot of fans. The games will be more competitive with UConn winning most of them if not all of them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
BDont forget Baylor and ND both didnt make the FF last season and have graduated players so dont be so quick to think they are way better then UConn. UConn is disciplined and a great defensive team and IMO Butler in the middle will make this team go on both sides of the ball. I dont expect as many 30pt+ wins as last season but I do expect a ungrad class that will put on a show and surprise alot of fans. The games will be more competitive with UConn winning most of them if not all of them.

Baylor and ND didn't lose anywhere near as much as the Huskies have. I get the positive energy thing but it's okay to state that UConn is as vulnerable as they've been in many years.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Baylor and ND didn't lose anywhere near as much as the Huskies have. I get the positive energy thing but it's okay to state that UConn is as vulnerable as they've been in many years.
Baylor and ND both are top 4 teams this season. Perhaps the top 2 teams. I agree UConn is not as overwhelming as they have been in the past. For the first time in years there are some question marks and alot of that will depend on how the underclassman develop and play as a unit. IMO Butler is the key. How fast she develops with tell us how good UConn will be. The double double she averaged at Gtown as a freshman tells me she will be fine. We dont have the Big 3 or a Tina or a Maya this preseason. Could one or more of our players develop into an AA? Cant count that out. However unlike previous years it was almost automatic.

So what do we have? We a a very good group of talented players, most of which are underclassman who will be developed into Genos mold. We have top players KLS being a number 1 and Dangerfield being a number 2 as well as Collier being a top 10 and Butler FOY in the BE. So we have the talent to in it all however we dont have a player yet that can take over a game and I think KLS has that potential. How they will perform as a unit is a wait and see. I know this in last seasons FF Gabby and Collier filled in great for Katie Lou. Yes they were surrounded by the Big 3 but there was no fear and their execution was impressive. This season will be different. This season there is no player to rely on yet to take over a game. Its up to them.

My early expectations I see a great rebounding team. I see a combo that will develop between Dangerfield our future and the rest of the team. Dangerfields development as well as Butlers development could be the answer to our year end achievements. Who will start Im not sure . We do know that Nurse Collier Williams Butler KLS Chong and Dangerfield will see alot of time.

Preseason we are a top 4 team just on reputation and talent. Our early season tuff schedule will exploit where we need to improve. FSU away and Baylor at home to start the season will be a tuff challange right out of the box. I am really looking forward to this season. It will be exciting to see this team develop during the season and through the NCAA tournament.

The Regionals will be at Harbor Yard and I will purchase a section of seats for the Boneyarders and Friends.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Being reported that the Ohio State game will be in Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom