UConn 2014-2015 Undefeated again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn 2014-2015 Undefeated again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I stated in a previous post, any team UCONN beat last year has to make up 20+ points and hold UCONN UNDER their average points! If UCONN remains sickness/injury free they will be better defensively than last years record setting team and still average over 80+ points a game!
Of the toughest NEW opponents, SoCar has not proven they can beat a top ten opponent, let alone the National Champion team and UCLA is talented but very young, MN and/or Vanderbilt have some talented players but as teams are not competitive!
Please explain who you think can do the deed.
I fully concur, especially with your point about our potentially being even better on Defense. I am a big believer in Morgan Tuck. Of course, we're all making presumptions about her good health. In the Championship game in New Orleans two seasons ago, I was sufficiently fortunate to have courtside seats, and could really assess the action up close. My main takeaway from that game was my sanguine feelings about her likely contribution for 2013-14. Of course, that was not to be, and injury can loom its ugly head and upset any projections. But her defensive presence whenever she got into that game was almost startling. Every time the ball game to her side, whether it was Schoni or anyone else handling it, they were confronted with an "I dare you" look of intimidation and a physical presence that, on each occasion, resulted in the ball being worked back out to the backcourt. When Geno goes to his big lineup, with Stokes, Stewart and Tuck down low, opposition scoring down there is going to be stifled even more than last year. We'll see even more blocked shots. Notre Dame, the second best team, lost way more to graduation relative to the remaining lineup than we did, and will have to rely heavily on Freshmen, as will SC. I just can't see a potential loss if we stay healthy, but we'll see.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Like all of you, I will be pulling ardently for UConn in every game, and will be fairly devastated if they should blow one. But honestly, we can talk all we want about the two great players that were lost to graduation, yet the talent level on this team remains so clearly superior to that of any potential competitor...isn't it really hard to envision any scenario by which they'd get knocked off? Sure, it could happen, and might, but going into the season not only does Championship #10 seem like an inevitability but an undefeated season looms as a decidedly more likely possibility than any alternative. My question is, given this reality, and our mutual pro-UConn bias notwithstanding, wouldn't any of you prefer to enter this (or any)campaign with a bit more suspense in the offing?
Im all about winning. Its tuff to stay up when your winning all the time and expected to win and have a better team and should win every time. It doesn't always happen that way. Remember the loss to St Johns a couple of years ago. This team is built to with stand losing for all the reasons that have been mentioned in all the posts and threads. Breanna is the biggest reason why and next season that will be more apparent with Butler Samuelson Collier and Boykin coming in and this years freshman class will be Sophs. We will have a lot of underclassman with very little experience at the college level. The fact that Butler has a year of college under her belt and our Sophs will also is a huge factor going into next season. UConn will have a lot of inexperience next season but a tremendous amount of talent to go along with Stewart Tuck Chong and Jefferson who will be the nucleus coming back. Butlers college experience which should help quite a bit. So next season you may see Mojeff Butler Stewart Tuck and one of the guards starting with Samuelson Boykin and Collier getting a lot of minutes to prepare them for the following season.

Reaction Score
I see Tony's undefeated 2014-15 and raise him an undefeated 2015-16 season. I feel that Geno is putting together what may be the very best UCONN team of all time for that 2015-16 season. The addition of Butler with a full season of learning the system under her belt and the typical sophomore leap that Williams, Ekmark, Edwards, and Nurse will make-added to Stewie, MoJet and Morgan is beyond ridiculously good. I'm not even counting on some strong possible contributions from Samuelson, Boykin and Collier. It will be a season long coronation for both Uconn and Stewie, as very likely the first WCBB player to lead her team to 4 titles and possibly the recognition of the greatest WCBB player of all time!!!!

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
I see Tony's undefeated 2014-15 and raise him an undefeated 2015-16 season. I feel that Geno is putting together what may be the very best UCONN team of all time for that 2015-16 season. The addition of Butler with a full season of learning the system under her belt and the typical sophomore leap that Williams, Ekmark, Edwards, and Nurse will make-added to Stewie, MoJet and Morgan is beyond ridiculously good. I'm not even counting on some strong possible contributions from Samuelson, Boykin and Collier. It will be a season long coronation for both Uconn and Stewie, as very likely the first WCBB player to lead her team to 4 titles and possibly the recognition of the greatest WCBB player of all time!!!!

Go Huskies!!!

2015-2016 will be among the most talented UConn teams ever but it will be loaded with Freshman and Sophomores. That's a lot of inexperience to overcome the best teams in UConn history.

Reaction Score
Like all of you, I will be pulling ardently for UConn in every game, and will be fairly devastated if they should blow one. But honestly, we can talk all we want about the two great players that were lost to graduation, yet the talent level on this team remains so clearly superior to that of any potential competitor...isn't it really hard to envision any scenario by which they'd get knocked off? Sure, it could happen, and might, but going into the season not only does Championship #10 seem like an inevitability but an undefeated season looms as a decidedly more likely possibility than any alternative. My question is, given this reality, and our mutual pro-UConn bias notwithstanding, wouldn't any of you prefer to enter this (or any)campaign with a bit more suspense in the offing?

It doesn't matter. If point differential was such a big deal I'd have hopped off the bandwagon a long time ago.

I'm excited for example - to see Stokes - see how her game has evovlved. Wouldn't it be cool to see her productive but also able to excute vs the top teams more than once where she is on th high post and making good passes and knocking down a few jumpers? Before she hits those in the big games - she probably has to hit them in the blowouts too.

I can go on about each player such as MoJeff maybe taking on more scoring - using change of pace moves and shooting more 3's etc.

Reaction Score
2015-2016 will be among the most talented UConn teams ever but it will be loaded with Freshman and Sophomores. That's a lot of inexperience to overcome the best teams in UConn history.

What I find excting about 15-16 is that ND, USC and Tenn will also be loaded. For example I think DD is awesome.

Reaction Score
I think UConn will definitely win the NC. Normally, I wouldn't want to say that any team will go undefeated, but the reality is UConn is so much better than everyone else I would be very shocked if the Huskies lose this year. I think South Carolina will be the second best team, but they are too young to hang with UConn. I'm excited for the season! Preseason is OK, but I'm ready for Nov. 14 when it really all begins.

Reaction Score
There is no team that is a threat to UConn this season. ND is good but not as good as the team we beat by 20+ either is Duke Stanford Baylor or MD. South Carolina is very talented and a top 2/3 team however they lost in the sweet 16 last season. Are they better this season they should be but theyre no where near UConns level right now. Could they be better in March..yes so will a lot of other teams including UConn lost Bria and Stef and replaced them with Kia and Chong/Nurse/Williams and Tuck is back as is a healthy KML. Don't forget last season UConn was without Tuck and KML for some time.

Those of you look at scoring or how tall a team is or their offense remember this it all starts with defense and when you have top players in WCBB at 3-4 positions and two who should be POY and a stifling defense how do you lose. Most top teams would love a go to player and UConn has 2-3 go to players. Breanna is a game changer. No other team has that. Last season UConn won every game by double digits. That's a lot to overcome for any team and then to say that team can over come double digits and beat UConn. Remember this is UConn not some shooting star team. UConn is a very powerful dynasty that continues to jump leaps and bounds over what they've already proven.

We are going to find out early this season when UConn travels to Stanford in 3 weeks how good they are and then over the next month or so UConn plays ND DePaul UCLA Duke and St johns All good tests before the conference begins.

Mr.Tony- You'd be interested to know that in a pre-season AAC poll (found on the Temple University WBB website), UConn was NOT a unanimous selection to win the league championship. We received 10 of 11 first place votes while USF got one vote to finish ahead of us. Really.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Mr.Tony- You'd be interested to know that in a pre-season AAC poll (found on the Temple University WBB website), UConn was NOT a unanimous selection to win the league championship. We received 10 of 11 first place votes while USF got one vote to finish ahead of us. Really.
Geno cant vote for his own team...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Two more undefeated seasons would bring us to 124 in a row and counting.... Is that crazy to even imagine those numbers?
I don't think its crazy. A lot will depend on the development of this years class and next years class however next season with Stewart, MoJeff and Tuck as the keys I don't see another team who can match them. Then take an experienced post player in Butler at 6'5 who averaged a double double as a freshman at GTown and yes UConn is still at the top of the polls. Tenn loses a lot this season and brings in DeShields next season however the Tenn team imo has not been coachable and thus the reason for their underachievement. ND and USC will be good but they don't match up well will UConn. Again a lot will depend on UConns underclassman and how fast they develop. Will Ekmark and Samuelson be KMLs replacement from deep? Will Boykin and Collier be ready to start and play underneath and who will this years freshman class develop? A lot of key questions however we still have a great nucleus in Stewart MoJeff Tuck and Butler and for the underclassman to come in and play beside them is less stressful then if they weren't there to rely on

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Last year at almost exactly this time the question was posed, "Who will stay within 20 points of UConn this year?" The responses are instructive of the reason why it is safe to say that no one knows nuttin' in the preseason.

The unstoppably optimistic Tonyc naturally said no one had a chance, which of course was way off the mark.

reno tony was also too optimistic when he said he didn't see it happening, but he was also way too pessimistic in saying UConn would only win its regular seasons games by 33.3 instead of 36.6 (34.3 for all 40 games), the third best mark ever.

easttexastrash said ND, but he was off the mark because of a last minute Banks shot.

And maybe ericsandiego was on the mark when he said "several" but how many games exactly is several? In all, 6 opponents in 7 games held UConn under the 20 point margin, with Stanford doing it twice at 19 both in the regular season and tourney, MD in the regular season and BYU in the tourney also reached the nirvana mark of 19, MD was at 17 during that huge three-game under-20 crisis for UConn early in the season, Texas A&M got it at 15 in the tourney, and Baylor left Husky fans shaking by threatening the single-digit ignominy before going down by 11.

So these seasons generally turn out to be a lot more full of anguishing t0ughness than is expected in the bright days of October.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think UConn will definitely win the NC. Normally, I wouldn't want to say that any team will go undefeated, but the reality is UConn is so much better than everyone else I would be very shocked if the Huskies lose this year. I think South Carolina will be the second best team, but they are too young to hang with UConn. I'm excited for the season! Preseason is OK, but I'm ready for Nov. 14 when it really all begins.
Too young? The Gamecocks could start 2 seniors and 3 juniors if Dawn keeps her starting lineup from last season. Of course, our freshman and sophomore classes are probably more talented.

Reaction Score
Too young? The Gamecocks could start 2 seniors and 3 juniors if Dawn keeps her starting lineup from last season. Of course, our freshman and sophomore classes are probably more talented.

Who do you think is going to start this year for USC? And who do you think will be your top 2 scorers?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Who do you think is going to start this year for USC? And who do you think will be your top 2 scorers?
I think Ibiam, Welch, Dozier, Mitchell and Sessions will start because Dawn rarely starts freshmen unless that's all she's got. Coates could sometimes start either in place of, or in addition to, Ibiam. Dozier is not one of our 5 best players, but she is an important role player who won't make a lot of mistakes. Will Wilson, White, Cuevas or Duckett start? Probably not early in the season, but any of those four could distinguish themselves enough to crack the starting lineup. We also have Tina Roy as an "X factor" who really came on strong late in her freshman year, but got hurt and had to sit out a year. She never regained form last season, but hopefully she will this season. Roy can be deadly from outside. If she gets back to how she played late in 2011-12 then she may start some games.

I am anxious to see Cuevas play in our exhibition on Sunday. She is lightning quick and I love NYC players.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think Ibiam, Welch, Dozier, Mitchell and Sessions will start because Dawn rarely starts freshmen unless that's all she's got. Coates could sometimes start either in place of, or in addition to, Ibiam. Dozier is not one of our 5 best players, but she is an important role player who won't make a lot of mistakes. Will Wilson, White, Cuevas or Duckett start? Probably not early in the season, but any of those four could distinguish themselves enough to crack the starting lineup. We also have Tina Roy as an "X factor" who really came on strong late in her freshman year, but got hurt and had to sit out a year. She never regained form last season, but hopefully she will this season. Roy can be deadly from outside. If she gets back to how she played late in 2011-12 then she may start some games.

I am anxious to see Cuevas play in our exhibition on Sunday. She is lightning quick and I love NYC players.
Cuevas is really good. She will need some development. The HS and AAU coaches in NYC have been raving about Bianca for years. I think you have a good one in her.

Reaction Score

Who do you think will be your top 2 scorers?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Who do you think will be your top 2 scorers?
Probably Mitchell and Coates. I think Coates was underrated coming out of high school. Alaina is a very talented basketball player.

Reaction Score
The AAC doesn't allow for unanimous anything. UConn was voted as high as it possibly could be under league rules.

Reaction Score
Tuck is pretty awesome. Wasn't she the #1 ranked player in her high school class (yes, ahead of Stewie) until she got hurt, and then Stewie became the #1 rated recruit? I mean, you know you're loaded when that kind of player is coming off your bench. Like Geno said about Tuck, "she's good at everything."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom