UConn +12 at Temple. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn +12 at Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Tim did good Saturday....no mistakes....no turnovers. But outside of the trick play, the offense was mostly ineffective. Run, run, run, punt. Sometimes a pass was successfully completed, but not enough attempts to cause Temple to back off the line.
For the most part I agree. There were a couple bad drops while Tim was QB. I know Bloom had one of them. What I'm hoping for is that the little taste of the real game he got (versus mop up duty) and a full week of first team snaps will have him and Verducci better prepared for Temple. Houston had all 11 players in the box at times, so UConn will have to throw the ball effectively to create running space or Temple will do the same thing. Start the game with a long pass attempt just to start stretching it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There's something with Boyle that seems to generate more drops. Touch? Placement? I'm not sure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if we win this game with Boyle. He will need to make plays for us to win, not just avoid effups. I can't see him doing that, he just isn't the goods.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There's something with Boyle that seems to generate more drops. Touch? Placement? I'm not sure.

velocity...its comes out a little too hot.

Reaction Score
To be real, it's gonna be very tough to conjure up points against Temple's defense, even more so with Boyle and with lousy weather. Think it's all on the D's shoulders (and special teams) to find a way to win this one - another single-digit game would be fine. Something like a 9-7 win. We've fared well when we get teams in a low-scoring street fight (except for Mizzou, but that was a win if we make 1 or 2 more plays).

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Took under 42.5- in the rain and with Temple's D with Boyle potentially at QB there's just no way we score enough points. Thinking 17-3 Temple

Reaction Score
To be real, it's gonna be very tough to conjure up points against Temple's defense, even more so with Boyle and with lousy weather. Think it's all on the D's shoulders (and special teams) to find a way to win this one - another single-digit game would be fine. Something like a 9-7 win. We've fared well when we get teams in a low-scoring street fight (except for Mizzou, but that was a win if we make 1 or 2 more plays).

Mizzou would have been a win if the refs didn't hand them a first down on that 4th and 12.

Reaction Score
The reports I'm seeing show a clear night. Rain moves out before 7PM. The way things have been going lately, I'm going with Boyle having a break out game and we pull it out somehow. Take the points and the under.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Took under 42.5- in the rain and with Temple's D with Boyle potentially at QB there's just no way we score enough points. Thinking 17-3 Temple

Would tend to agree. Methinks it will be a defensive slugfest. Probably in the same 20-17 range.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nailed it. I was thrilled for Boyle Saturday, and if he's our guy the next two games (and in my heart I sort of hope he is) I'm fully behind him. As most fans were and will be. But comparing their results, even removing BS's legs, is absurd. TB has a lot to prove to be at that level. But, if he's handed the ball, let's hope he proves it.

Any reason why you hope Boyle starts the next two games?

Reaction Score

I think it's the story of it. Boyle transferred here from BC after choosing them over us and ended up as a backup QB. Local kid whose only chances have been behind terrible OL's and high expectations. If he were to suddenly come good, it'd be a heck of a story, right?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think it's the story of it. Boyle transferred here from BC after choosing them over us and ended up as a backup QB. Local kid whose only chances have been behind terrible OL's and high expectations. If he were to suddenly come good, it'd be a heck of a story, right?

I guess? If Shirreffs is cleared by the doctors I don't see any reason not to play him though?

More practice with the starting QB and our best shot to win 2 more games seems like the better option?

Reaction Score

NOthing to do with Irish Loop's theory. I believe that the Drs. and he and his family make the call, and they don't need advice from me, but given that hit, what we've accomplished this season, what is left to accomplish this season and what we have to play for next year, part of me would just want to give his head and brain time to settle down and come back ready for spring practice.

I think Temple will be a very hard game to win even with BS (they have everything to play for and we should be coming down from an emotional high) and the bowl game will likely not be against an opponent that any of us will really care about anyone. So I'm fine letting BS heal even if it means losing the last two (and there is no reason we still couldn't beat a mediocre MAC or Sunbelt team with Boyle).

That's what I meant. But, as I said, you have to trust the Drs. but if he was my son I'd want him to have some time to recover.

Reaction Score
I'm just going to throw this out to create some controversy. So, you hardcore evaluators of point spreads; am I off to think think that the really point spread should be Temple -3.5? Seriously, UConn defense is that good. The underlying question is can UConn score.

Thoughts?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@businesslawyer Totally understand and agree from the medical perspective. I'd sit him this week and see where it stands come the bowl game.

I just wasn't sure if there was a different angle you were looking at.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm just going to throw this out to create some controversy. So, you hardcore evaluators of point spreads; am I off to think think that the really point spread should be Temple -3.5? Seriously, UConn defense is that good. The underlying question is can UConn score.

Thoughts?

Yes you are totally off. You are pretty much saying UConn and Temple are equal on a neutral field with Tim Boyle playing.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?

I think Temple has shown enough to be a problem defensively and with their passing game. If their best RB has gotten over the ND bruising that complicates things further. We'll need to create multiple turnovers and get a couple of big TD plays on offense and lights out special teams. It's a big ask but maybe Temple was hoping for a Husky team that had given up by now. The spread is correct but not the over/under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom