UCL & Europa knockout round draws are complete | The Boneyard

UCL & Europa knockout round draws are complete

Reaction Score
So Arsenal's reward for winning their group ahead of PSG is.... Bayern. You could have predicted that one. They always seem to draw Bayern or a Spanish giant early. Not that PSG got off any easier, they get Barca.

UCL
City v Monaco
Real v Napoli
Benfica v Dortmund
Bayern v Arsenal
Porto v Juventus
Leverkusen v Atletico
PSG v Barcelona
Sevilla v Leicester

For Europa, Series A teams were not treated well in the draw with some really tough first round games. United is the favorite to win Europa according to the bookmakers.

Europa
Gent v Spurs
United v Saint-Etienne - a battle of Pogba's as Paul's older brother plays for Saint-Etienne
M'gladbach v Fiorentina - tough break for both
Villarreal v Roma - another really tough first round draw for both teams
Athletic Bilbao v Apoel Nicosia
Legia Warsaw v Ajax
Anderlecht v Zenit St Petersburg
Astra Giurgiu v Genk
Ludogorets v FC Copenhagen
Celta Vigo v Shakhtar Donetsk
Olympiakos v Osmanlispor
Rostov v Sparta Prague
Krasnodar v Fenerbahce
AZ Alkmaar v Lyon
Hapoel Beer Sheva v Besiktas
PAOK v Schalke

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have an idea, how about all the Arsenal fans put on their big boy pants and quit whining? Bayern can be had.

Reaction Score
I have an idea, how about all the Arsenal fans put on their big boy pants and quit whining? Bayern can be had.
Arsenal fans don't have big boy pants, and the men pee sitting down.
Bus2YzZIgAEGyrX.jpg

I do agree tho, this is the year to take Bayern. Arsenal fans should be bummed the round doesn't begin next week as they appear to be in top form and Bayern is just so-so. February is a long way away though. They've drawn each other in this round or group play something like each of the last 5 years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It just gets old, year after year. We finally win the Group and still end up with them. It would be nice to play someone different for a change. When the traveling fans get to the pubs in Germany, everybody there knows their name already.

But yea, I think we can, (not necessarily will) beat them this year. We'll see.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
@meyers7 Here's is my one question about Arsenal this year. Whenever I tune in, I see Oxley-Chamberlain doing something positive. Except when he is sitting. I assume you catch most of the Gunners games, why does he ever sit?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
@meyers7 Here's is my one question about Arsenal this year. Whenever I tune in, I see Oxley-Chamberlain doing something positive. Except when he is sitting. I assume you catch most of the Gunners games, why does he ever sit?
Well, he has been doing much better this year. He and Walcott are/have been healthy for awhile. In the past they'd get a run of 4-5 games and then get hurt. But Iwobi is also doing quite well this year (more in creating than scoring). Along with Sanchez and Giroud. Both who are scoring when they play. Add in Perez who has 5 goals in 8 appearances, and for once Arsenal has a decent strike squad. Mostly it's just rotation now, except for Sanchez, who pretty much plays every game. It's hard enough to get him to come off at 80 minutes.

Sanchez, Özil and Koscielny pretty much play whenever they are available. The rest get rotated a bit. Which is nice. More competition, keep everyone on their toes. Keep injuries down. Keep players somewhat happy.

Sanchez - 13 goals / 21 app
Walcott - 10 goals / 18 app
Chamberlain 6 goals / 20 app
Giroud - 5 goals / 13 app (11 subs)
Perez - 5 goals / 8 app
Iwobi - 2 goals / 19 app

In January, Welbeck is supposed to be back too. He's done pretty well when he is healthy too. Just never really healthy for very long.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
As Maxwell Smart used to say, "Missed it by that much."

Prior to the game, my gunners coworker and I were chatting. I said, "hey, you never know", in an attempt to be supportive of his feelings.

He quickly responded, "I always know...so, no." He was really really correct... :eek:

#ForzaJuve

Reaction Score
Spurs can now focus on EPL and FA cup.
Alli gets a straight red card in the first half, Kane with an own goal. Not a good day at Wembley. Spurs draw and lose on aggregate 3-2.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Prior to the game, my gunners coworker and I were chatting. I said, "hey, you never know", in an attempt to be supportive of his feelings.

He quickly responded, "I always know...so, no." He was really really correct... :eek:

#ForzaJuve
You're a Juve fan too. Sweet.

Reaction Score
Absolutely incredible. One of the greatest comebacks ever. After Cavani scored I thought it was over.

Reaction Score
unreal. the best comeback in champs league history and pulisic gets 1 and 1 on the same day? incredible

Reaction Score
unreal. the best comeback in champs league history and pulisic gets 1 and 1 on the same day? incredible
Even better, Pulisic actually had 2 (assists) and 1!

Reaction Score
This Leicester -Sevilla game is insane. Foxes up 2-0 (3-2 aggregate), Jamaican Wes Morgan scored for a Leicester, first Jamaican to score in a champions league knockout match). Ex-Gunner and a Citizen, Samir Nasri, booked with a second yellow/ red card in the 70th minute (Vardy acted like he was head butted, bad call by official from my angle on the couch), Schmeickel (sp?) saved a PK by Sevilla in the 80th minute. 4 minutes plus added time remaining if you can turn it on.

Reaction Score
And Leicester go through to the quarters. 2-0(3-2)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm a happy camper as Juve finish the job against Porto. 3-0 on aggregate...

Reaction Score
Just turned on Monaco v City on my iPhone. Should be exciting down the stretch. Turned it on with Monaco up 2-0... moments later City scores to cut deficit to 2-1, and go up on agg. 6-5... 5 minutes later Monaco scores on a nice set piece to tie the agg and be up on away goals. Monaco playing without Falcao who picked up an injury over the weekend.

Reaction Score
Monaco and Atletico are thru.

The quarters will have 3 from Spain,2 from Germany, and 1 team each form Italy, England, and France.
Atletico
Barca
Real
Bayern
Dortmund
Juve
Leicester
Monaco

The draw is Friday, and it is an open draw... so anyone could draw anyone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I couldn't watch the game. Am I wrong to think that City is filled with gutless ?

Reaction Score
Quarter final draw is complete, and the top 4 teams (IMO) are facing eachother

Bayern v Real - this would have been a great final, I like Real
Barca v Juve - this is the year for Juve, I like them taking out Barca
Atletico v Leicester - Atletico
Dortmund v Monaco - Wow, two teams that are very happy with their draw... only would have been happier had either of them drew Leicester. Go Dortmund!

Reaction Score
Europa Draw is complete

Ajax (NED) v Schalke (GER)
Anderlecht (BEL) v Manchester United (ENG)
Celta Vigo (ESP) v Genk (BEL)
Lyon (FRA) v Beşiktaş (TUR)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Dortmund v Monaco - Wow, two teams that are very happy with their draw... only would have been happier had either of them drew Leicester. Go Dortmund!
As a Juve fan I approve of this message. I agree that the best four sides are facing one another, which is good for the competition in that there will be more variety in the semifinals for the first time in a while.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

When is that Bayern v Real match?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom