U17 USA vs Czech Rep 8:15 AM | The Boneyard

U17 USA vs Czech Rep 8:15 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
It's so hard to watch anything other than UConn basketball. it just looks so sloppy. I'm trying to figure out what the plan is on offense and I don't believe there is one lol. Did DeCosta verbal somewhere?

The opponents clearly have a better more sophisticated offense. USA defense is decent at the guard spot, not to good with the forwards and centers. They look a bit slow afoot.

Last edited:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Bailey is having a rough time out there. Surprised they haven't subbed for her.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA leads 33-23 at the half. Should have had a bigger lead. 16 Turnovers many of them unforced and 7 missed Free throws. Shooting 53% from the line. This is a young team playing against similar age players, but there are too many missed layups and unforced TO's. TO's probably because they haven't played together long enough.

Will be interesting to see if a team clogs up the middle and force USA to hit outside shots, will they be able to.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I really like the play of Jenna Brown she is going to be really good in college. Also, you can tell USA isn't use to the physicality. One puzzling thing... we were running dribble weave hand off vs a 2-3 zone?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
LOL... if we could make a layup. Can't imagine what the score would be or free throw. Why no Sam Brunelle? Is she injured?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain that DeCosta would drive Geno that much closer to retirement

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA play keeping Czech Rep in the Game. Can see USA losing if they continue

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USa Wins 72-63. USA won't win this tournament unless they improve their play. Too many turnovers (27) and missed layups.

Live Stats: FIBA Live Statistics USA fortunate that Czech Rep only hit 8 of 31 three points shots.

Collier only played 9 minutes and took 5 shots.

Reaction Score
Czechs are not a bad team but USA should have easily won this game by 15-20 points...... must tighten up in all areas if they want to win this championship................

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Czechs are not a bad team but USA should have easily won this game by 15-20 points. must tighten up in all areas if they want to win this championship......
Completely agree. Some of the line ups made no real sense. The Czechs U17 screen better than half of the WCBB Top 25.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Why do you say that? The box shows 1-9 shooting and 5 turnovers, but 16 rebounds.
Those 8 misses were all lay ups. At least 3 I saw were uncontested... literally wide open. She did do a really good job getting in position for rebounds and was willing to chase down some long ones and hustled up and down the floor. I could have sworn she verballed to Cal but I looked everywhere and no such thing exists... To be fair, three of the 8 were also all on one possession.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Those 8 misses were all lay ups. At least 3 I saw were uncontested... literally wide open. She did do a really good job getting in position for rebounds and was willing to chase down some long ones and hustled up and down the floor. I could have sworn she verballed to Cal but I looked everywhere and no such thing exists...
Thanks. Geno would threaten to pull DeCosta's scholarship for missing layups. Maybe some of her rebounds were off her own misses, like Tina in her early years but she is a great rebounder.

I haven't seen any info on her deciding. UConn was looking at her and may still be. Not sure. Cal is not very far from Stockton.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
LOL... if we could make a layup. Can't imagine what the score would be or free throw. Why no Sam Brunelle? Is she injured?
She is youngest member of the team, she is there mostly for the experience will likely STAR with the U16 team next year.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
She is youngest member of the team, she is there mostly for the experience will likely STAR with the U16 team next year.
She couldn't have shot any worse than DeCosta... heck give her a few minutes. We certainly weren't gonna win this one going away with the turnovers we were having. I would've loved to have seen her out there @ the 4 and Nelson-Ododa @ 5. They really could have gone 4 out 1 in vs the czechs. I just felt like some of the line ups were really strange.

Reaction Score
Why do you say that? The box shows 1-9 shooting and 5 turnovers, but 16 rebounds.

Those numbers pretty much tell the story.......She reminds me a bit of early Gabby with a loads of athletic talent and effort but many missed open looks and turnovers........she makes 2-3 bad plays and then makes an amazing play.........whoever coaches her at the next level better have patience and a large supply of rolaids

Reaction Score
She couldn't have shot any worse than DeCosta... heck give her a few minutes. We certainly weren't gonna win this one going away with the turnovers we were having. I would've loved to have seen her out there @ the 4 and Nelson-Ododa @ 5. They really could have gone 4 out 1 in vs the czechs. I just felt like some of the line ups were really strange.

Nelson-Odda was a major factor again but she would make life a lot easier for her team and herself if she practiced her foul shooting............don't have the stats in front of me but must have shot 30% from the line with a fair number of attempts

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Nelson-Odda was a major factor again but she would make life a lot easier for her team and herself if she practiced her foul shooting..don't have the stats in front of me but must have shot 30% from the line with a fair number of attempts
I'm not sure if she typically shoots that low of a % but yeah I hear ya. It could be the physicality, the odd ball you have to play with in international play, or perhaps it is typical for her which I doubt. Some of the misses today were just so strange all around @ the free throw line and besides. They need to move their offense up the floor a bit. They are starting the offense way too close to the end line.

Reaction Score
I think DeCosta's reputation as a super athlete with some consistency issues is pretty well established although I don't know if that applies to her foul shooting........the rims seemed very tight judging by some of the weird bounces but it didn't seem to bother the Czech girls at least at the foul line where they must have shot well over 80% as a team

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I've been most impressed with Bailey and Nelson-Odoba. Bailey is going to do very well with the right coaching in college. She has the wide shoulders of a center but can move and handle the ball better than a power forward.

I need more from DeCosta and Dodson but both are extremely athletic, especially DeCosta. She does some things that you just don't see a lot of girls do on the court. Both need to become better finishers through contact, heck, the entire team really...

Chrysten (sp?) Williams will be a great combo guard wherever she goes... can run point and moves well without the ball. I like the 2018 point guard Henderson... she's big on SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom