U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 36 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Someone leaves or gets a redshirt. We don't know when the transfers are leaving. BYers are assuming they all stay for the extra year. I think it's likely, but I have no idea. Maybe Geno does.

Hard to see a non-medical redshirt and one transfer wouldn't clear up much with that many (quality) players.

Reaction Score
Hard to see a non-medical redshirt and one transfer wouldn't clear up much with that many (quality) players.

You can't expect every recruit to work out, can you? And even a player like Gabby Williams hasn't played huge minutes the past two seasons and that's been okay with her development, hasn't it?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But suppose we strike out in 2019, or at least don't get true studs, especially tall ones. I'd rather load up in 2018 if they are good and our type of kids.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
^^^Louisville is not in the running for Carter. The guard spot on our roster was filled/ completed when Dana Evans and Lindsay Duvall committed.
I'm sure Louisville still has an offer out there for her. :rolleyes: :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The LVs have 3 on the list, as do the Huskies. I think all our 2018 targets are on the list too.
The Baylor women's front page has this picture congratulating Didi & Alexis for making Naismith watch list. I thought that was a nice touch by Baylor.
12255608.jpeg

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The LVs have 3 on the list, as do the Huskies. I think all our 2018 targets are on the list too.
Yes both teams have loaded up for next year. There are a lot of names on the list. It will be narrowed down as the season goes on.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You can't expect every recruit to work out, can you? And even a player like Gabby Williams hasn't played huge minutes the past two seasons and that's been okay with her development, hasn't it?

Gabby's averaged 16 and 19 min/game her two seasons. Only the starters are likely to hit those marks the next two years. Unless numerous players sit entirely or leave.

Reaction Score
Not that it will turn out this way but you could have all 5 starters play 25 mins each and that would still leave 15 mins for each of 5 subs.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not that it will turn out this way but you could have all 5 starters play 25 mins each and that would still leave 15 mins for each of 5 subs.

That leaves zero minutes for the other four players. That's the problem.

Reaction Score
Gabby's averaged 16 and 19 min/game her two seasons. Only the starters are likely to hit those marks the next two years. Unless numerous players sit entirely or leave.

It all depends what you mean by "sit entirely." If you definition of a player averaging 5 minutes per game is "Sit entirely" that could be an option because in 40 point blowouts unless he's very upset because overall nobody sits "entirely." Even Pulido and Lawlor averaged 2.6 and 3 minutes. So if they didn't "sit entirely" neither will anyone else.

As for injury or player's leave it is highly possible.

So my point is there could be players that either get hurt, leave, or sit a lot because they aren't as good (not every player that is recruited blossoms into a good fit / fine player). In reality there is adversity. We can't ignore that.

Gabby got her 16 and 19 minutes in part because Tuck was always a concern, last year Butler was way behind the eight-ball because of a thumb injury, KLS was in the early doghouse, and Collier apparently was banged up with her hip and even she said during the season she needed to get much stronger in her upper body (i.e.e not ready.).

If Collier wasn't ready as a frosh and I'm sure you've read the posts on here in which a poster quoted you completely raving about Collier's greatness in high school and who was undoubtedly the best, then it's logical to assume that more than likely the new class of kids or other factors will open up enough minutes for more than 5 players because if Collier wasn't ready then why should all of the others be? I think you've grossly lowballed the minutes also we must assume Geno will bench his stars during the game or not even let them play which ultimately will allowother players minutes per game to go up.

This is a coach who benched 1st team all-american Stewart and what should have been 1st team a/a Morgan Tuck. This year he may not do it in an extreme level but next year count on it he will.
--------
By the way, do you think Butler will play decent vs Baylor tomorrow night? What about Kyla - will she play and if she does do you expect her to get annihilated? Big game tomorrow night on the boards.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Collier wasn't ready as a frosh and I'm sure you've read the posts on here in which a poster quoted you completely raving about Collier's greatness in high school and who was undoubtedly the best, then it's logical to assume that more than likely the new class of kids or other factors will open up enough minutes for more than 5 players because if Collier wasn't ready then why should all of the others be? I think you've grossly lowballed the minutes also we must assume Geno will bench his stars during the game or not even let them play which ultimately will allowother players minutes per game to go up.

Collier still got 17 minutes a game; that's not chump change. Minutes worked out okay last year because Edwards and Boykin were not on the roster as originally intended, Ekmark was more or less left out, and there were only 10 roster players to begin with. Next year the roster # is 14.

By the way, do you think Butler will play decent vs Baylor tomorrow night? What about Kyla - will she play and if she does do you expect her to get annihilated? Big game tomorrow night on the boards.

Quite frankly, I'm concerned the entire front line might foul out. I assume Geno will go all zone but that makes rebounding even tougher and they are at a disadvantage there to begin with.

Reaction Score
Collier still got 17 minutes a game; that's not chump change. Minutes worked out okay last year because Edwards and Boykin were not on the roster as originally intended, Ekmark was more or less left out, and there were only 10 roster players to begin with. Next year the roster # is 14.

Quite frankly, I'm concerned the entire front line might foul out. I assume Geno will go all zone but that makes rebounding even tougher and they are at a disadvantage there to begin with.

But last year's team had two starters averaging 30 minutes and another getting 28. Why can't that be 4 starters for next year? If two players weren't on the roster as intended, why are you so positive that next year might not be the same? So let's just say one player leaves or is hurt instead of 2. Now you've got 152 minutes for nine players. That is 16.89 minutes per player. Some players get 14 minutes while another player or two is close to 20. Now suppose one player gets Ekmark's 9 minutes? Now that is an average of nearly 18 minutes a player. And then suppose like last year two players get 12+ minutes. Now that bumps up one or tow more players to get more - closer to the starters minutes. Or maybe these two players get 15 and you bump up a few of the starters? Why is that so impossible?
----------

As for the Baylor game-- Regarding the front line, why are you concerned they will foul out? You're worried this early they just aren't ready? And what do you think by the end of the year? Do they have the goods to compete well enough vs these elite teams. I wonder about SC.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If two players weren't on the roster as intended, why are you so positive that next year might not be the same? So let's just say one player leaves or is hurt instead of 2. Now you've got 152 minutes for nine players. That is 16.89 minutes per player.

I don't have any reason to assume anyone is leaving or suffering a long-term injury at this point. But even under your hypothetical, you're giving two players massive minutes (let's say Stevens and KLS) while others get 17/gm. You're only going to play Collier, Dangerfield, Williams, and Nurse 17 minutes a pop? I don't think Geno will do that. To me, those six have to be expected to conservatively play 150 if the team is going to be what it should be. Then you have Camara and Walker. Add in Bent who I think is the backup PG as well as swing guard, and there may be nothing left for Butler, Irwin, and the other frosh.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As for the Baylor game-- Regarding the front line, why are you concerned they will foul out? You're worried this early they just aren't ready? And what do you think by the end of the year? Do they have the goods to compete well enough vs these elite teams. I wonder about SC.

I just think UConn doesn't have true post defenders outside of Butler although Collier made lots of plays down low against FSU. There is an athleticism and size gap that's going to be daunting. Fouls can pile up from attempting to out-rebound larger players; doesn't just have to be from defending. If Butler is on the bench who guards Brown, Mompremier and Davis? Gabby's best out on the perimeter but she'll have to chase Davis all over I assume. Are Collier and Samuelson going to check them? Double the post players as soon as they get the ball in the block?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The first annual LakePoint Basketball Showcase begins with the lone girls match-up of the day as The Lovett School takes on Winder-Barrow. The game will tip-off at 1:00 P.M. at the LakePoint Champions Center.

WinderBarrow is led by the #1 ESPN Ranked girls player in the nation, Junior, Olivia Nelson-Ododa. Averaging 16 PPG and 10.6 RPG last year, Nelson-Ododa received multiple awards including Region 8-AAAAA Player of the Year and the Athens Banner-Herald Co-Player of the Year. She is being actively recruited by Ohio State, South Carolina, Duke, and UConn, among others.

Lakepoint Basketball Showcase Kicks Off with Elite Girls Match-Up

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The first annual LakePoint Basketball Showcase begins with the lone girls match-up of the day as The Lovett School takes on Winder-Barrow. The game will tip-off at 1:00 P.M. at the LakePoint Champions Center.

WinderBarrow is led by the #1 ESPN Ranked girls player in the nation, Junior, Olivia Nelson-Ododa. Averaging 16 PPG and 10.6 RPG last year, Nelson-Ododa received multiple awards including Region 8-AAAAA Player of the Year and the Athens Banner-Herald Co-Player of the Year. She is being actively recruited by Ohio State, South Carolina, Duke, and UConn, among others.

Lakepoint Basketball Showcase Kicks Off with Elite Girls Match-Up
Thanks! Keep us posted on the results.

What have we hear in terms of interactions between UConn staff and Olivia?

Reaction Score
That leaves zero minutes for the other four players. That's the problem.

I agree. You can't fight the arithmetic.
We don't know for sure if Stevens will stay for her second year at UCONN.

2017-2018
Dangerfield
Nurse
Stevens
Lou
Collier
Williams
Walker
Camara
Butler
Coombs
Gordon
AEH
Irwin
Bent

2018-19
Dangerfield
Lou
Collier
Walker
Stevens (maybe)
Camara
Gordon
Coombs
AEH
Irwin
Bent
Possible recruits
C Collier
C Williams
Smith
Nelson-Ododa
With Stevens questionable, this will give us 10 or 11. I don't see a problem picking up 1 or 2 bigs, in addition to C Williams, if they want to go to Storrs.
Just as Walker will overlap for one year with Nurse and Gabby, C Williams will overlap for one year with Lou and Collier. If Stevens doesn't stay for her second year, the frosh big(s) would see lots of pt right away.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Winder-Barrow lost only one player off last year’s state runner-up squad that went 26-7 and returns a strong cast of veterans, including heavily-recruited junior center Olivia Nelson-Ododa.

The 6-foot-4 Ododa is the top-ranked player in the Class of 2018 according to espn.com and was recently named preseason All-USA by USA Today.

“She’s not what you would expect for most girls that size,” Thomas said of Nelson-Ododa, who scored 17 points per game and averaged 3.5 blocks a year ago. “She’s graceful, fast and coordinated and can do all the skills that top-notch guards can do, which is what makes her so highly-recruited. She’s really improved her outside skills and has developed into a great all-around player.”

Winder-Barrow girls basketball seeks return to state finals - Barrow Journal

Reaction Score
I don't have any reason to assume anyone is leaving or suffering a long-term injury at this point. But even under your hypothetical, you're giving two players massive minutes (let's say Stevens and KLS) while others get 17/gm. You're only going to play Collier, Dangerfield, Williams, and Nurse 17 minutes a pop? I don't think Geno will do that. To me, those six have to be expected to conservatively play 150 if the team is going to be what it should be. Then you have Camara and Walker. Add in Bent who I think is the backup PG as well as swing guard, and there may be nothing left for Butler, Irwin, and the other frosh.

I made "a little" math error before in my prior post to you- -- but here you go - this wouldn't be outrageous in terms of minute distribution: though I don't know much about Camara other than she's good. Is she terrific? A/A caliber? UCONN's top 8 is obscenely good.

Player 1: Red Shirt: for conversation I'll say Kyla. Though she's not an ideal player to redshirt but for our discussion it would be eaiser for me to distribute minutes if it was another player-- -- a player get injured or transfers. So I'm making it tougher on myself for minute distribution as it pertains to our discussion. But expect a red shirt or player leaves or God forbid a player gets hurt.

OFF TOPIC: Let me say 1st off -- I want to thank you for posting the games of the h/s kids. I remember you and I were amazed at Crystal's play at one point. We were both saying "wow! Thank you for posting that on here. I never expected she would have done this to Baylor in 2nd game of her career vs a quality team like Baylor -- -- just wow what she did. Just wow. Thanks for giving me the preview of what was to come.

Now back to Player 1: I'm not being mean when I say this-- please don't take it that way but just because you don't want to use the past two years as a guide that players leave and don't want to believe that maybe one player can get hurt doesn't mean I have to. We've lost 3 players the last two years, I think losing one even if it is a redshirt is probable. Just to remind you we all make opinions, we're not in a court of law. I know you didn't say we were in a courtroom - but when you say "I don't have any reason to assume . . ." -- I look at like two straight years they have lost players, so I have no reason to not to assume because of the frequent injuries in wcbb and because UCONN does have a lot of quality players and these are KIDS not pros who can decide they want to go close to home etc. We all make projections. You sort of assumed that things could have been ugly for UCONN tonight, right? So no minutes for player 1.

Players 2 - 6: 5 players= 40 minutes: The players in this category are Hunter, Lexi, Bent, Coombs and Butler. This doesn't mean Butler will only get 8 minutes. She might get 13, while one player gets 10 and three others get 6, 6 and 5. I've looked up the history and Geno has given to scholly players that weren't walk-ons - at times he has given 5 minutes average. It could be anyone of these players. Maybe Coombs or Bent etc gets 13 etc. All are in contention.

Players 7-9 3 players = 51 minutes: The players are Camara, Walker, Gabby (Just like players 2-6 this can be in any variation. For example 20, 16 and 15.)

Players 10 - 14 5 players - 109 minutes that's an average of near 22. The players are Stevens, Nurse, Danger, Collier and KLS.

************I am not saying this is the lineup -- but it can be which you seem to dismiss as you insist that a lineup will be a huge problem.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You put a lot of thought into those scenarios. I just can not see the top six getting 22 minutes or less on average. Geno's gonna want to give his team the best chance to win against a killer non-con schedule. Perhaps one or two of them, but players like Dangerfield, Stevens, Collier, and perhaps KLS should get more, imo. You saw against Baylor that Bent and Irwin barely played even with just a 9-player unit. He's going to shorten the lineup considerably against better teams, that we know. To get those types of averages, the better players would have to be severely restricted against lesser conference foes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@hoophuskee & @Sluconn Husky I think your disagreement is philosophical and it is not hard to create a minutes scenario to support your respective philosophies.
My philosophy (answer) if the questions of how many players & what type does UCONN recruit in 2018/19 is: As many quality players, that want to come to UCONN regardless of position & considering available scholarships. We are in the information age and each player and their parents knows the make up of the UCONN roster & that makes it easy. The only variables then is how much do you believe in your own ability and is that ability going to allow you to get playing time-assuming playing time is important to you. Let's face it, if playing time is not important to you UCONN is probably the wrong school for you. I deplore the idea of asking a kid on your existing rosters to even consider a healthy read shirt because that says two bad decision were made along the way. One by the Kid the other by the staff. There is no shame in losing a minutes contest at UCONN the only shame IMO is having the ability to compete for minutes at UCONN and not trying=double "l" because UCONN probably going to beat you if you go somewhere else anyway. Isn't that right Kalani & Lauren?

Reaction Score
You put a lot of thought into those scenarios. I just can not see the top six getting 22 minutes or less on average. Geno's gonna want to give his team the best chance to win against a killer non-con schedule. Perhaps one or two of them, but players like Dangerfield, Stevens, Collier, and perhaps KLS should get more, imo. You saw against Baylor that Bent and Irwin barely played even with just a 9-player unit. He's going to shorten the lineup considerably against better teams, that we know. To get those types of averages, the better players would have to be severely restricted against lesser conference foes.

I''ve put a lot less thought than Geno ever will once the team is his, right? I know the "rankings" off the top of my head and just had to go back a few years onuconnhuslies.com. I love them all - I just didn't want to make it seem so "cold." Anyhow, it took more time to do the typing making and also ensuring that I didn't diss someone. :)

As for over the season, not every game is "a killer." And next year we're going to "kill" even real good top teams. So what you call "a tough ooc" may very well be just a couple of close games. In the games that are wipeouts you don't need to play CD and Nurse 35 minutes. When I'm giving you averages, yes some of the games he will restrict them. It comes down to how many do you expect to be close? But what you've seen on occasion "is the benching of all-americans" such as Stewie and Tuck in their junior years for one game. So he'll have 8 players to possibly bench on occasion. Do you really believe in some games next year he is not going to bench a star player here or there? Now he did that to two super great players. I'm looking at next year UCONN has potentially 8 players that can be all-americans or be starters on nearly every top team in america. OFC they won't all be an a/a but there is individual potential. Knowing Geno if one of those 8 (Azura, KLS, Nurse, Collier, CD, Gabby, Walker and Camara) let's down a bit from that expectation - and Geno knows he has a bench, you don't think he'll give any of them a benching? This is EIGHT players. Are all EIGHT going to live up to his expectations for a full year?

As I said when I made up the lineup - I don't know enough about Camara. I was "assuming" she is on a very, very high tier. Plus I took a poor player to redshirt whom I thought would get the lowest minutes - which helps your argument more. If I made it easier on myself I would have included someone else, thus Irwin's minutes could be lower than anyone else's thus I'd add them to the starters minutes which only would have strengthened my argument.

The fact is, next year UCONN is going to be absolutely super great. An example is Moriah Jefferson. For two years MJ saw 30 minutes. In several of the games from what I recall especially her jr year she was in late even in some blowouts. IMO that was because we didn't have an adequate backup pg. So there is a chance that CD won't play MJ minutes next year because we have an adequate backup pg. So if Bent or Coombs isn't living up to what he expects - then CD will get more. And as for your "we're trying to win comment" - I have three players getting an average of 17 minutes. You mean we can't win with them? There was a big speartion in the past from starters to bench. With Walker and Gabby - how much separation is there vs the other starters?

*****Also - What I don't get is - here was your post in which I replied to you: You said to another poster then I replied to you--
"Hard to see a non-medical redshirt and one transfer wouldn't clear up much with that many (quality) players." and then you reply to me just now: He's going to shorten the lineup . . .

So what is it that you are arguing with me? If he shortens his bench then the starters get more minutes. So you take away 5 minutes from the bottom. That's now 23 minutes on average. If you add a 2nd player that is a non-medical redshirt and one transfer which you said above saying it wouldn't clear up much - it is now almost 24 minutes per starter. Now all this assumes that all 8 players will play very very good all the time to Geno standards. And is Geno going to keep his starters in so they can win like MD? The point is, if Geno has the players the caliber of the top 8, you can't expect all 8 are going to have a "rosy-time" or not go through rough patches just because they are winning on just talent. He'll be upset that number 8 player isn't as good as number 2 player etc. One player is off a bit- then the others get those minutes. Some games some of the top 8 players will get a DNP or get very few minutes because he is upset with them. He has shown a HISTORY of doing just THAT. THAT will lower the average minutes or increase minutes for those in which Geno placed a star on the bench for a whole game. For example KLS and her rebounding. KLS got 2 rebounds last night. I know Gabby got zero but she is guarding posts. This year he may not make a big deal of her rebounding because he needs her. But next year he won't accept two rebounds when he needed rebounds. **Plus this year we have 4 players with offseason surgery (CD, NC, KLS and KN.). We have two players with knee issues - Gabby and Coombs. Maybe others I don't know. Players are going to get nicked up. I just can't imagine everything is going to be rosy-fine throughout the year other than we are going to destroy even the real good teams. A rare game will be close. You don't need to have a short bench. You must remember when Muffett was said ot have mentioned she desperately wanted to get into UCONN's bench. SO wouldn;t it stand to reason Geno shortened his bench for a reason?

Reaction Score
@hoophuskee & @Sluconn Husky I think your disagreement is philosophical and it is not hard to create a minutes scenario to support your respective philosophies.
My philosophy (answer) if the questions of how many players & what type does UCONN recruit in 2018/19 is: As many quality players, that want to come to UCONN regardless of position & considering available scholarships. We are in the information age and each player and their parents knows the make up of the UCONN roster & that makes it easy. The only variables then is how much do you believe in your own ability and is that ability going to allow you to get playing time-assuming playing time is important to you. Let's face it, if playing time is not important to you UCONN is probably the wrong school for you. I deplore the idea of asking a kid on your existing rosters to even consider a healthy read shirt because that says two bad decision were made along the way. One by the Kid the other by the staff. There is no shame in losing a minutes contest at UCONN the only shame IMO is having the ability to compete for minutes at UCONN and not trying=double "l" because UCONN probably going to beat you if you go somewhere else anyway. Isn't that right Kalani & Lauren?

slu and I do have a ton of philosophical differences - this is one of many. To his credit all of our disagreements have always been extremely civil. Plus I love the way he and you and others share information on the young players. As I mentioned above I can remember him sharing the games / links of Dangerfield. Both of us - we were just saying "wow."

But when you see our posts going back and forth we are "ying-and-yang." One of the main things for me is that I'm not a huge fan of size. I prefer fastbreak basketball. Now if you give me size and fatsbreak - now we're talking. I'm sure everyone would agree with that- but overall game to game - we look at things differently. I see some posters weren't too thrilled with Jones from Baylor - I am opposite view.

And as for slu and I- this is the 1st time I saw Baylor, he had mentioned "how do you guard both their bigs"-- I think he did-- and if he didn't I apologize I misunderstood- but Baylor is playing a bit that way so it's Kim's philosophy- imo it seems too slow and mechanical and neither of those big seems much of passers - too easy to beat them down the floor etc. I just don't like that style over the span of the NCAA Tourney.

Yet Rebecca Lobo was super impressed with them. - Why? IMO because she loves post play. Again philosophical and it is so fun to discuss these things. With me for Baylor I'm impressed with Jones the most. And as for Nina Davis she seems very quick. Hasn't she developed anything at the ft line or out? And I would have thought Cox would have been a real real good combo high post/low post player. I thought she was a good passer. Either Kim ahs other uses for her or Cox just isn't very good yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom