U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mike Flynn's thoughts on the U17 competition:

Chemistry and Redemption – Bluestar Media
Interesting observation by Mike in this article:

"For those who closely follow youth basketball, it was also known that the 2016, 2017 and 2018 high school classes were not looking stellar in the potential array of talent that the USA could put out on the floor. The core issues – no star and no future Olympian-level guard inherently needed to lead a great team."

Mike's comment would exclude list Crystal Dangerfield, Megan Walker, & Christyn Williams as potentials stars or future Olympians.

Reaction Score
The bronze medal finish definitely placed added pressure on the decision makers to make major changes....as somebody else said...hope they didn't throw the baby out with the bath water....
The Baby they should throw out is the head coach. I have never seen such a bad job coaching and adjusting to the available talent. She was a flash in the pan as a high school coach. Too methodical. Her system works for a high school team with limited talent but not an all star team.

HGN

Reaction Score
I would expect nothing less.
It's that type of attitude shown by Lexi that is going to make her one outstanding player and teammate. The ability to encourage others
and not feel threatened or jealous of another players success.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
More plaudits for Ms Brunelle. Seems Nixon should go on the watch list as well.

One player who was there but not mentioned anywhere is Faith Masonius.
I believe that Faith is class of 2019, right? A young un.

Reaction Score
More plaudits for Ms Brunelle. Seems Nixon should go on the watch list as well.

One player who was there but not mentioned anywhere is Faith Masonius.

I'm not sure that Faith's game can be best appreciated in that kind of environment. She's the least flashy player that I've seen at that level in some time. If they were looking for a great team player who does all the little things I'm sure she would be right up there.

Reaction Score
Shooting guard Michelle Sidor (2019) from Saddle River Day in northern NJ was also in attendance

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This thread reminds us of the extreme difficulty and vital importance of evaluating talent. It's tough enough to create a competitive (gold medal level) team from an array of all-star talent. The stakes go way up when projecting performance at the next level. Therein lies Geno's genius.

Look at how consumed NBA teams are about the upcoming draft. Or the annual ordeal by NFL coaches and GMs (with frequent spectacular hits and misses). Then think back at how often we said "Who?" when Geno discovered yet another diamond in the rough. Will Molly or Kyla be next to prove my point?

Reaction Score
Interesting observation by Mike in this article:

"For those who closely follow youth basketball, it was also known that the 2016, 2017 and 2018 high school classes were not looking stellar in the potential array of talent that the USA could put out on the floor. The core issues – no star and no future Olympian-level guard inherently needed to lead a great team."

Mike's comment would exclude list Crystal Dangerfield, Megan Walker, & Christyn Williams as potentials stars or future Olympians.
The observations of this self appointed Guru mean nothing to me. He's speaking for all of "those who closely follow youth basketball"? Those three probably haven't paid to attend one of his Blue Star camps. Watch what he says when one of those kids becomes an Olympian-level guard. His line will be, "I saw it coming way back when".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The Baby they should throw out is the head coach. I have never seen such a bad job coaching and adjusting to the available talent. She was a flash in the pan as a high school coach. Too methodical. Her system works for a high school team with limited talent but not an all star team.
That was what I thought I remembered too - bad coaching and one bad game. But I wasn't sure this was the same coach?

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be something if they all agreed to go to the same place together? No, not UConn or any other super-duper major power, but some place a little under the radar with a great coach, like, say, DePaul? Won't happen, of course, but would be a very fun shake-up.
Wishful thinking, so I want Collier.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that Faith's game can be best appreciated in that kind of environment. She's the least flashy player that I've seen at that level in some time. If they were looking for a great team player who does all the little things I'm sure she would be right up there.

Faith Masonius can play. Maybe her talents don't shine in this type of environment, but as you and I (and others) have seen this winter, this young woman is going to make some D1 coach very happy. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy her at the HS level for a few more years. And not surprised to see the Michelle Sidor traveling all-star circus make the scene as well. Who knows what comes next for her, but what fun to watch her (and Faith) this year. Thanks for the reports....

Reaction Score
Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 5h5 hours ago
WBB: The seven finalists for Maya Dodson (GA-2017) as listed on her USA Basketball page http://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/d/dodson-maya.aspx…

Ck2X2d-W0AADByV.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member