U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 18 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The fact that Walker still has Texas on her list should worry both UCONN and Notre Dame. There is every reason for her to choose UCONN and Notre Dame if she wants to go to a program that is almost guaranteed to get her to a FF. For her to be considering UT, who has not been to a FF in quite a while, tells me that she really likes what she see there and there may be that gut feeling that it is the place for her to be.

If I'm being realistic, Texas, with the way they have recruited lately, is not far (if at all) behind ND as a team that can contend for an NC in the next few years. It does bother me because of where Walker is from.

With a few exceptions, most notably Turner, ND has mostly signed players from a zone extending west to the Mississippi and south to Kentucky and Virginia. ND does not tend to get the players from the deep south, California, or Texas. Fortunately, Walker is inside ND's recruiting zone, though at the edges of it. It would be a blow for Texas to take her when they are already able to recruit the best Texas players, of which there are so many excellent ones.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Clearly she will pick the school with the most room for custom T-shirts ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
We shall see my friend! I'm hoping for a much closer game and not a butt whooping, UNLESS it's the Gamecocks handing out the whoopings! :D
That's the attitude young woman.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've had that same thought......kind of like the being a baseball free agent and joining the Cubs.....I sure hope that's not the case.....
I'm a Mets fan through and through. But if the Mets can't win, go Cubbies. Those fans deserve it man. For all their fatalism, they are true baseball fans. And I too hope that's not the case with Walker.

Reaction Score
Baylor fans see UT as the biggest challenger for the top Texas talent. Aston will eventually beat Baylor and that will help her cause greatly, as will a FF appearance. And UT as a great pipeline established with Duncanville HS, the top HS program in the state that produced Atkins and where some top talent is currently developing.

Keep an eye on UT. They are headed upward and I will not be at all surprised if Walker ends up in burnt orange.
I like Aston better than Mulkey for a coach. Two players I cant wait to watch this year are Higgs and Atkins. They both played well last year against Conn.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I like Aston better than Mulkey for a coach. Two players I cant wait to watch this year are Higgs and Atkins. They both played well last year against Conn.

You like her more or you think is a better coach? She is surely more likeable but she has yet to prove that she is a better coach. It will take a few wins over Mulkey to prove that. She had a tremendous amount to talent last year and Baylor owned UT.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well of course. Being in the hunt for the top recruit is always preferred, now on the other hand, I could do without the stress that comes with anticipating that top recruits decision. I remember feeling nauseous the entire day A'ja was making her decision between UConn, SC and others. The anticipation of waiting for that decision is the worst, so for that, I do not envy you all..

I'm not completely out of the woods though, Evina Westbrook (the #2 recruit) is still considering SC among many and the anticipation for her decision is wearing on me. Though it's not as bad as Wilson's because I don't really expect SC to land Westbrook. I don't doubt Dawn's ability to recruit but Westbrook has a 6 great programs as her finalists and all of them can build future classes around a player like her.

We're in the mix early for the current #1 players in the 2018 (Nelson-Ododa) and 2019 (Brunelle) classes.. and I think we'll be there in the end for both so I'm enjoying the lack of stress while I can.

SCG, We've been stressing for almost a year now. We're down to the final few hours. We should know something in the next 10 days (end of the month). When you fail to get a highly coveted ( a program defining) recruit that you really really want, it's depressing. We've had our share of let-downs lately, A'ja Wilson being one of them. Hopefully our fortunes are changing, and scales will begin to tip in our favor once again. No doubt Nelson-Ododa and Brunelle are also on UConn's radar. If not, they should be.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well, never say never SCG. This unattributed photo from another board could offer comfort:

View attachment 15693

I find it strange that these schools would ask an undecided recruit to model one of their uniforms before even agreeing to go to that school...... Frankly that would be a turn-off for me if I was a recruit with multiple visits in front of me......don't think you'll ever see UConn doing that..a T-shirt maybe but not a uniform!!!!!!!!

Two high fives Charlieb!!! I completely agree. I'd put on a sweat shirt and maybe a cap, but NEVER a full uniform for the reasons you mentioned. To ask a visiting recruit to do that is "ballsy", in addition to showing very poor judgement, and a lack of respect for the recruit.

A request of this nature would be a HUGE turn off for me if as you say, I had other visits in front of me, and I had not made a decision yet. This is what you do IF and WHEN you make a verbal to a program. The fact that no one is smiling in this photo suggests that they all realize that this is NOT a good photo opt/idea. One word describes this picture..........TACKY. I'm surprised her parents allowed this. :confused:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Two high fives Charlieb!!! I completely agree. I'd put on a sweat shirt and maybe a cap, but NEVER a full uniform for the reasons you mentioned. To ask a visiting recruit to do that is "ballsy", in addition to showing very poor judgement, and a lack of respect for the recruit.

A request of this nature would be a HUGE turn off for me if as you say, I had other visits in front of me, and I had not made a decision yet. This is what you do IF and WHEN you make a verbal to a program. The fact that no one is smiling in this photo suggests that they all realize that this is NOT a good photo opt/idea. One word describes this picture.....TACKY. I'm surprised her parents allowed this. :confused:

Actually, the word "creepy" came to my mind. It's like asking a first date to model some clothes you bought for them. I would run...

Reaction Score

A request of this nature would be a HUGE turn off for me if as you say, I had other visits in front of me, and I had not made a decision yet. This is what you do IF and WHEN you make a verbal to a program. The fact that no one is smiling in this photo suggests that they all realize that this is NOT a good photo opt/idea. One word describes this picture.....TACKY. I'm surprised her parents allowed this. :confused:

Of course if she's already decided that Texas is for her she would be happy to wear it.................

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Carnac

Reaction Score
Of course if she's already decided that Texas is for her she would be happy to wear it.......

Can you imagine Walker donning a ND uniform, knowing she was going to commit to UConn? THAT would be adding insult to injury, and not something I'd want my future coaches/teammates/fans/boosters to see.
Can you see Dee, Maya or Stewie in a ND uni? :mad:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Can you imagine Walker donning a ND uniform, knowing she was going to commit to UConn? THAT would be adding insult to injury, and not something I'd want my future coaches/teammates/fans/boosters to see.
Can you see Dee, Maya or Stewie in a ND uni? :mad:

In the second half of the last UConn-ND game, wasn't Moriah wearing a #3 ND uniform? ;)Head bang:D

I can't imagine Walker o Westbrook donning uniforms for official pics in any way, shape or form next weekend. Practice uni's if they scrimmage, maybe. T-shirts or appropriate football game garb, yup.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SCG, We've been stressing for almost a year now. We're down to the final few hours. We should know something in the next 10 days (end of the month). When you fail to get a highly coveted ( a program defining) recruit that you really really want, it's depressing. We've had our share of let-downs lately, A'ja Wilson being one of them. Hopefully our fortunes are changing, and scales will begin to tip in our favor once again. No doubt Nelson-Ododa and Brunelle are also on UConn's radar. If not, they should be.

The wait is almost over! I know how much you guys want Walker but even if Walker decides on Notre Dame or Texas all is not lost for UCONN.. ya'll are still bringing in a VERY strong class of guards that are eventually going to be one of the best backcourts in WBB in a few years and you guys are still very much in play for Christyn Williams in the 2018 class. I think she's all but signed her papers for Connecticut.

Carnac

Reaction Score
In the second half of the last UConn-ND game, wasn't Moriah wearing a #3 ND uniform? ;)Head bang:D

I can't imagine Walker o Westbrook donning uniforms for official pics in any way, shape or form next weekend. Practice uni's if they scrimmage, maybe. T-shirts or appropriate football game garb, yup.

In the second half of the last UConn-ND game, wasn't Moriah wearing a #3 ND uniform? Yes, but it was only in your dreams. :p

Carnac

Reaction Score
The wait is almost over! I know how much you guys want Walker but even if Walker decides on Notre Dame or Texas all is not lost for UCONN.. ya'll are still bringing in a VERY strong class of guards that are eventually going to be one of the best backcourts in WBB in a few years and you guys are still very much in play for Christyn Williams in the 2018 class. I think she's all but signed her papers for Connecticut.

This is one time I wish I really had the powers of the real "Carnac the magnificent" and peer into a crystal ball and see into next week. The suspense is killing me. :confused:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
In the second half of the last UConn-ND game, wasn't Moriah wearing a #3 ND uniform? Yes, but it was only in your dreams. :p

Actually, it was a nightmare, given the way she very effectively guarded Marina Mabrey (said #3) and shut her down after Marina was hitting from here, there and everywhere in the first half. For intensive purposes, Moriah was wearing that ND jersey...wherever MM went, so did MJ. (Credit where credit is due...)
:(:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This is one time I wish I really had the powers of the real "Carnac the magnificent" and peer into a crystal ball and see into next week. The suspense is killing me. :confused:

uhhhhhhhhhhhh...............you mean you don't?

Reaction Score
You like her more or you think is a better coach? She is surely more likeable but she has yet to prove that she is a better coach. It will take a few wins over Mulkey to prove that. She had a tremendous amount to talent last year and Baylor owned UT.
What is the second word of my first sentence. By the way, Baylor was a lot more talented than Oregon State. What happened there?

Reaction Score

To be honest, while I think Walker is an excellent player, I don't know that she is a program changing player...............she will absolutely make any of the three teams stronger but the surrounding cast will still have to pull it's weight to win an NC.................

Carnac

Reaction Score
uhhhhhhhhhhhh.....you mean you don't?

Sadly, I must admit, I'm a charlatan. This Carnac thing is just a rouse. Something I thought I'd have some fun with here in the yard. Admittedly, I can't see any further into the future than you can. :( If I have offended anyone, please forgive me. :)

Reaction Score
Sadly, I must admit, I'm a charlatan. This Carnac thing is just a rouse. Something I thought I'd have some fun with here in the yard. Admittedly, I can't see any further into the future than you can. :( If I have offended anyone, please forgive me. :)

I could have predicted you were going to say that.................it's OK we'll get over it eventually..............

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That's what Hank Gathers had. Sad for her but good they found it before something terrible happened.

"The University of Georgia will honor her scholarship, which includes providing medical care and treatment," according to the release. Good for UGA and Coach Taylor. Best of luck to the young woman and the folks working on her behalf to help her situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom