U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 17 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

Reaction Score
Coincidentally ...;) ... I'll be heading west on Rte. 80 this Friday to go to one of those other two schools and attend, like Ms. Walker and Ms. Westbrook (and maybe a person or two we don't know about) the Duke/ND football game. The place we tailgate on Saturday morning/afternoon is just outside of the Joyce Center, home of the Basketball arena, and I've wandered into coaches taking recruits/commits on a few occasions.

I agree with you, however: coaches and campuses (in their own way) make their pitch and then -- hopefully -- the commit's priorities (mind) and gut take over. We'll see.

In the meantime play ball! Hope to see a Men's soccer game vs. Syracuse in addition to the football game.

How long of a drive is that from NJ? I would guess 10 -12 hours...................A big weekend for you guys for sure.............despite your record, that football game should be a wipe out........kind of like the women's basketball game between the same 2 teams will be this winter

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
How long of a drive is that from NJ? I would guess 10 -12 hours....A big weekend for you guys for sure...despite your record, that football game should be a wipe out...kind of like the women's basketball game between the same 2 teams will be this winter

Should make it in 10 to 11 hours depending on stops, weather, etc. Given that South Bend is still in the Eastern time zone, we'll still have time to hit campus on Friday afternoon in the daytime. It will be a fun gathering under any football circumstances...a bunch of my friends from "way back when" and from all over the place (Midwest, Texas, Florida, NJ, NYC) come year in, year out to get together. Should be fun, weather notwithstanding.

As for the Dookie b-ball game, yeah, that's one I'm excited to see on our home court. Love Greenwell but that coach.....even when she was at MSU, you liked to beat her team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
LOL, I'm really gonna enjoy the fallout from this decision. There will be some GREAT reading on a few message boards.

There is one thing you would have enjoyed more, namely having the Gamecocks in the conversation. Though I do understand the pleasure of just watching a horse race when you don't have any money down.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There is one thing you would have enjoyed more, namely having the Gamecocks in the conversation. Though I do understand the pleasure of just watching a horse race when you don't have any money down.

My stress level is much lower knowing that Baylor has no chance at Walker. My stress level will be much higher when Baylor has to face Walker, wherever she may go. Watching her at Texas for four years would be both entertaining and painful.

If Walker were to choose Texas I think that they may very well win another NC, which would be an incredible accomplishment for Aston and I would be happy to see that program return to that caliber. I grew up a Texas fan and loved Conradt and the classiness that she brought to the game, much like Marsha Shart at TTU and Pat Summitt. The firing of Conradt and hiring of GG, IMO, was a horrible chapter in that program's history and Aston brought the program back to one that the UT fans can be proud of again.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The fact that Walker still has Texas on her list should worry both UCONN and Notre Dame. There is every reason for her to choose UCONN and Notre Dame if she wants to go to a program that is almost guaranteed to get her to a FF. For her to be considering UT, who has not been to a FF in quite a while, tells me that she really likes what she see there and there may be that gut feeling that it is the place for her to be.

Reaction Score
The fact that Walker still has Texas on her list should worry both UCONN and Notre Dame. There is every reason for her to choose UCONN and Notre Dame if she wants to go to a program that is almost guaranteed to get her to a FF. For her to be considering UT, who has not been to a FF in quite a while, tells me that she really likes what she see there and there may be that gut feeling that it is the place for her to be.

Austin is the most fun college town of the three that's for sure.............the UT program is clearly on the rise so if I were a Baylor fan I would be watching with great interest................both teams have a huge built in recruiting advantage right now with the massive amount of b'ball talent in the state............the Northeastern US simply can't compete at this time.................UConn will just have to "borrow" a few of the more adventurous Texas players every now and again............

Reaction Score
Walker with Holmes for 3 years would be scary good. Throw in the highly rated guards they have (Atkins 2014, Higgs 2015, Sutton 2016, Patterson 2017), and all they really need a good C, and Texas has tons of those in the 2018 class (will play 2 years with Walker/Holmes, and 3 with Walker).

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Well of course. Being in the hunt for the top recruit is always preferred, now on the other hand, I could do without the stress that comes with anticipating that top recruits decision. I remember feeling nauseous the entire day A'ja was making her decision between UConn, SC and others. The anticipation of waiting for that decision is the worst, so for that, I do not envy you all..

I'm not completely out of the woods though, Evina Westbrook (the #2 recruit) is still considering SC among many and the anticipation for her decision is wearing on me. Though it's not as bad as Wilson's because I don't really expect SC to land Westbrook. I don't doubt Dawn's ability to recruit but Westbrook has a 6 great programs as her finalists and all of them can build future classes around a player like her.

We're in the mix early for the current #1 players in the 2018 (Nelson-Ododa) and 2019 (Brunelle) classes.. and I think we'll be there in the end for both so I'm enjoying the lack of stress while I can.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well of course. Being in the hunt for the top recruit is always preferred, now on the other hand, I could do without the stress that comes with anticipating that top recruits decision. I remember feeling nauseous the entire day A'ja was making her decision between UConn, SC and others. The anticipation of waiting for that decision is the worst, so for that, I do not envy you all..

I'm not completely out of the woods though, Evina Westbrook (the #2 recruit) is still considering SC among many and the anticipation for her decision is wearing on me. Though it's not as bad as Wilson's because I don't really expect SC to land Westbrook. I don't doubt Dawn's ability to recruit but Westbrook has a 6 great programs as her finalists and all of them can build future classes around a player like her.

We're in the mix early for the current #1 players in the 2018 (Nelson-Ododa) and 2019 (Brunelle) classes.. and I think we'll be there in the end for both so I'm enjoying the lack of stress while I can.

Well, never say never SCG. This unattributed photo from another board could offer comfort:

Happy Face.jpg

Reaction Score
Is it me or do they coaches look like Westbrook told them "no way" right before they snapped this pic?

I find it strange that these schools would ask an undecided recruit to model one of their uniforms before even agreeing to go to that school................ Frankly that would be a turn-off for me if I was a recruit with multiple visits in front of me...........don't think you'll ever see UConn doing that.......a T-shirt maybe but not a uniform!!!!!!!!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think our South Carolina friends was thinking they were getting a 4th commit for 2017. Looks like it's so.

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000
South Carolina WBB with 2017 commit #4—Bianca Jackson, 5-11 W, Brewbaker Tech Magnet HS (Montgomery, AL); espnW #54

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think our South Carolina friends was thinking they were getting a 4th commit for 2017. Looks like it's so.

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000
South Carolina WBB with 2017 commit #4—Bianca Jackson, 5-11 W, Brewbaker Tech Magnet HS (Montgomery, AL); espnW #54

I thought she axed us from her finalists!

Dawn is so sneaky! :D

I swear I have no idea what's going on anymore.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
How many more can SC take?

Without pulling a "Louisville"?

Only one more.

We may wrap it up here though. Unless the big one decides to jump onboard too.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think Megan is intrigued by the thought of 1) Being the one. 2) Being the one who brings a long wanted championship to Texas. It's been a long time for the entire sports program. 3) Being the one who finally beats the Hated Husky's.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Without pulling a "Louisville"?

Only one more.

We may wrap it up here though. Unless the big one decides to jump onboard too.
Have I said "Go Dawn" lately? A championship for that great fan base would be tremendous for WCBB. But I still think The UConn will whup your butts in Storrs. By February the Husky's will be a different team than the one that plays Baylor in November. But if not, Dawn deserves one.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Have I said "Go Dawn" lately? A championship for that great fan base would be tremendous for WCBB. But I still think The UConn will whup your butts in Storrs. By February the Husky's will be a different team than the one that plays Baylor in November. But if not, Dawn deserves one.

We shall see my friend! I'm hoping for a much closer game and not a butt whooping, UNLESS it's the Gamecocks handing out the whoopings! :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Austin is the most fun college town of the three that's for sure...the UT program is clearly on the rise so if I were a Baylor fan I would be watching with great interest......both teams have a huge built in recruiting advantage right now with the massive amount of b'ball talent in the state..the Northeastern US simply can't compete at this time.......UConn will just have to "borrow" a few of the more adventurous Texas players every now and again..

Baylor fans see UT as the biggest challenger for the top Texas talent. Aston will eventually beat Baylor and that will help her cause greatly, as will a FF appearance. And UT as a great pipeline established with Duncanville HS, the top HS program in the state that produced Atkins and where some top talent is currently developing.

Keep an eye on UT. They are headed upward and I will not be at all surprised if Walker ends up in burnt orange.

Reaction Score
I think Megan is intrigued by the thought of 1) Being the one. 2) Being the one who brings a long wanted championship to Texas. It's been a long time for the entire sports program. 3) Being the one who finally beats the Hated Husky's.

I've had that same thought................kind of like the being a baseball free agent and joining the Cubs..........I sure hope that's not the case...............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom