U-20 World Cup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

U-20 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all groups through 2 games, some interesting story lines developing at U20's

US is taking care of business, granted it has been against vastly inferior teams (we got a very good draw w/ our group)

CONCACAF performing so-so. US is only team to clinch a spot in the knockout round and sitting atop their group; Panama is bottom of their group, but it's all very close. A win over 1st place Ghana will pretty much assure them of advancing to knockout phase...easier said than done; Mexico is bottom of their group (in fairness, it's actually a 4 way tie on points, Mexico -1 gd has them in last, while 1st place Serbial is only +1 in gd..so much to play for all the teams in this group in their final group matches); Honduras completely spit the bit v. Fiji last night, getting smoked and putting them in pretty much a must win v. Germany to advance to knockout rond;

Group D (Mexico) is the most evenly matcehd of the groups. All 4 teams are tied w/ 3 points, so HUGE matches on Saturday of Mexico v Serbia and Uruguay v Mali. All to play for.

In knockout round, the US will either play:
- if we finish 1st in group A (win or draw v Ukraine): 3rd place team out of Group C, D, or E which would be one of Senegal, Colombia, Serbia, Mali, Uruguay, Mexico (doubt they'd match us up with Mexico in first knockout round); Hungary or Nigeria.
- if we finish 2nd in group A (lose to Ukraine): the runner up of group C which is most likely Colombia or Portugal, and a longer shot of it being Senegal (if they smoke Qatar and Portugal beats Colombia).
Whoever it is, odds are the US faces it's toughest test of the Cup in the first knockout round, as our group was relatively weak.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I want Mexico. We are their Daddy.
US-v-Mex.jpg

Reaction Score
Imagine if the French brought Pogba and Laporte to the tournament. Talk about out of hand.

In fairness, I think our U-20s would beat the US U-23s on this squad.
U.S. U23 finished second in their group (behind France, and ahead of Netherlands, Costa Rica and Qatar). They will play runner up of Group B in the third place game on Sunday. That will be either Mexico, Morocco, England, or Ivory Coast - to be determined tomorrow.

Reaction Score
70 minutes in, and Ukraine is up 1-0 on a dazzling free kick in the ~55th minute. I wouldn't say they've dominated, but Ukraine has been decisively the better side, and it hasn't been particularly close. Figure they (the Americans) are probably resting on their laurels a bit, maybe playing for the tie. This was most evident in the first half, when the Ukes had 66% possession, but it was mostly just defenders kicking it around. Also, Allen started instead of Rubin, although he did just come in at the 67th minute. Should be interesting to see how hard the US pushes to get an equalizer.

On another note, the ref has had a terrible game. Soft fouls galore both ways, and I will admit, being a supporter is both sides, that the majority have gone in favor of Ukraine. However,the Americans got a penalty a minute or two after the Ukrainian goal, on what was a clear and complete dive. However, Hyndman's penalty was saved superbly.

Reaction Score
2-0 now. Same kid that scored the free kick picked up an easy one set up by an overlapping run from the left back.

And as I type that, another goal comes across for Ukraine. Hat trick for Viktor Kovalenko. The second goal was set up by no support from the wing on the left back's run, while this one was just shoddy defense.

I question if not having Mizaga hurt the back line that badly. I'd heard great things about Palmer-Brown, but from what I gather Mizaga and Carter-Vickers played with great chemistry. Ah well, regroup for the knockout round. Hopefully Mizaga will be back.

Connor Donovan now checking in at the 83rd minute to get some PT for the Americans.

Reaction Score
I read that Ramos played for the draw. That's disappointing.

Miazga probably sat because they didn't want to run the risk of another yellow card and have him miss the next match.

Reaction Score
Disappointing result, hopefully a good wake-up call for the Americans. So next up is the 2nd place team from group C (Portugal, Colombia or Senegal - there final group games are tomorrow).

In group B the big surprise is Argentina won't advance to knockout round. They finished in 3rd place with only 2 points total and -1 GD, and there are already 4 other 3rd place teams who have 3 points or better (top 4 3rd place teams advance). I believe Argentina was one of the tournament favorites coming in. Panama is out of the cup, finishing fourth.

Reaction Score
Disappointing result, hopefully a good wake-up call for the Americans. So next up is the 2nd place team from group C (Portugal, Colombia or Senegal - there final group games are tomorrow).

In group B the big surprise is Argentina won't advance to knockout round. They finished in 3rd place with only 2 points total and -1 GD, and there are already 4 other 3rd place teams who have 3 points or better (top 4 3rd place teams advance). I believe Argentina was one of the tournament favorites coming in. Panama is out of the cup, finishing fourth.

I watched the first 20 minutes before work. Looked like they were just sitting back. Really disappointing tactics.

Reaction Score
You wanted it, you got it... In the Toulon Tournament in France at least. U.S. U23 v Mexico U23 in the 3rd place game. Mexico lost to Morocco today 2-1, assuring a Final of France v Morocco.

Reaction Score
You wanted it, you got it... In the Toulon Tournament in France at least. U.S. U23 v Mexico U23 in the 3rd place game. Mexico lost to Morocco today 2-1, assuring a Final of France v Morocco.
Correction...US v England for 3rd place. Apparently England's big win over China tied them w/ Mexico on points and GD, but put them ahead on total goals. Buh-bye Mexico.

Reaction Score
Mexico's U20 out of the WC. They lost to Serbia 2-0 this morning, and finished last in their group. Tough couple of days for El Tri as their U23's lost to Morocco yesterday keeping them out of the Toulon Tournaments 3rd place game. I feel terrible for them :)

Reaction Score
Big win for the u20s. Next up is Serbia. Winner likely gets Germany in the semis

Reaction Score
Haven't seen the match yey, but what a huge win. I did read that US's Kelly Acosta got a red card (second yellow) in the 81st minutes, so he is out v. Serbia. He took a Colombian down in the box, but the US keeper saved the PK!! Also, another US forward may be out of the tournament. Bradford Jamieson left on a stretcher with a neck brace on.

As for Serbia's game, they scored late, 91st minute. to tie Hungary, then got the winner off an own goal in the AET (118th minute). Serbia also had a Defender sent off in with a second yellow, so they be without a starter as well. Serbia did defeat Mexico in group play, 2-0 (they won their group with 6 points, losing to Uruguay and beating Mali)

Reaction Score
Wow. What an amazing week for all four of the major programs.

Reaction Score
Looks like both of the early quarter-final games, Brazil-Portugal and Mali-Germany, are going to PK's.

Reaction Score
Brazil wins their 2nd consecutive knockout game on PK's. First it was Uruguay, and now Portugal. They get the winner of Senegal - Uzbemistan.

Mali upsets (I think) Germany on PK's. They await US - Serbia winner.

Reaction Score
US loses on PK's 6-5. Good match. Tough to score with Jaimeson and the other guy out. Each team had several advantages in PK's.

Reaction Score
Watched the 1st half before falling asleep. U.S. was in control the first 20 minutes, then Serbia looked the stronger side the rest of the half. Pretty evenly matched overall. CCV was a presence on the back line, just physically stronger than guys older than him, played with confidence. One noticeable difference (this was discussed in a different thread) was the first touch. Hyndeman, Rubio, and a few others had a heavy first touch. Zelalem (sp?) was pretty polished, but he needs to get stronger.

I DVR'd the game, will watche the 2nd half thru PK's later.

Reaction Score
I must have watched a different game. I thought we were seriously outplayed after the first 20 minutes and were very lucky to get to PKs. Yes, the game might have been differen if 3 of our 4 forwards weren't out for the game, but everyone has the same size roster.

Reaction Score
I watched most of the game. I thought Serbia had moments where they could have won and we had moments when we could have won. You go 120 minutes at this level and don't score a goal even off a set piece or a PK then that's about as even as one could get. While it sucks to go out on PKs I don't think these kids should feel down at all.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/u20worldcu...t-satisfied-world-cup-quarterfinal-run-we-wan

Zelalem is all in on the US. He was one of three players on the team that is eligible for the next U-20 WC in three years time. But for some reason I think he'll be consumed by the big team whe that rolls around.

I thought he had an OK tournament, he was better in group play. He's heavily one footed, but has a good IQ for the game. I guess one fault that is actually a positive is that he seems to be looking to make that one dangerous pass all the time that will open up the defense, which is kind of bold but possibly counter productive.

Zach Steffen is really impressive. He looks and acts like an elite goalkeeper.

In my opinion, the outfield player that was the most consistent was Ariola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom