Tyler Davis moves from QB to TE | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyler Davis moves from QB to TE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is my take as well. And we better hope that Williams can play as well. Do we have a QB committed yet for next year?

Yes

First Commit was Jordan McAfee from that tough Boston northern city of Everett.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yes

First Commit was Jordan McAfee from that tough Boston northern city of Everett.

McAfee happens to be the only Diaco QB recruit who had P5 offers under his belt, for those who find that to be a better indicator than rankings.

Reaction Score
When you accept a QB commitment on April 3rd, you are basically loudly proclaiming that he was top tier of your choices. You had a bunch of kids - in your region that you tracked - and this is one guy you are happy with. We may take another in this Class; but, that's being opportunistic. Someone fell to us OR surprised us on his Senior Film. It's notable that Tyler Davis and Donovan Williams both were that guy in the two previous classes.

That doesn't mean we can't have a CT kid like Bisack develop from modest expectations into a very good QB at this level. I actually expect that has far more chance of happening in Connecticut than 30 other states. Kids don't get that early development and refined fundamental training here.

Reaction Score
Jay Rose is 100% a TE? Zero chance at QB?

(sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere ...)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If that actually happens we will be in a very bad spot.
That bad spot would mean that we've lost our #1 and #2 QB to injury and we need to pull him in as second string. That's a bad spot for any team, but better to have a guy with 2 years under his belt than Darius Butler or Deshon Foxx taking snaps.

Reaction Score
That bad spot would mean that we've lost our #1 and #2 QB to injury and we need to pull him in as second string. That's a bad spot for any team, but better to have a guy with 2 years under his belt than Darius Butler or Deshon Foxx taking snaps.

Neither of them were QB's. They came in to run a specific package. Foxx was actually very effective in that role. If Davis plays primarily QB in 3 years after spending 2 years as a TE, our troubles go deeper than just losing a couple of QB's to injury.

Reaction Score
I'm with Jimmy on this. Plus you don't move a guy from qb to tight end if you think he is your future qb. That's just coach speak.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Neither of them were QB's. They came in to run a specific package. Foxx was actually very effective in that role. If Davis plays primarily QB in 3 years after spending 2 years as a TE, our troubles go deeper than just losing a couple of QB's to injury.
Darius was an emergency backup QB. Foxx came in because our 1st/2nd string QB's were largely ineffective. The point is that if we're going to have to move a kid from their current position to QB due to injury, his skill set as an actual QB is beyond either of theirs.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We can all see this Saturday and then make our own opinions. I will wait and see before I commit anymore on this subject. I for one am curious what the freshman Williams looks like along with Anderson

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
We can all see this Saturday and then make our own opinions. I will wait and see before I commit anymore on this subject. I for one am curious what the freshman Williams looks like along with Anderson

Bill, I love ya.

But, I don't spend countless hours drinking whiskey and smoking weed out of a MacGyvered soda can so I can log on here and read intelligent posts.

Reaction Score
I thought at the spring game, Bisack clearly out-performed Davis and looked like a legitimate, composed QB back there.

This really doesn't surprise me. Lets hope Williams/Bisack can play and Davis finds some field time at TE. Never hurts to have too many 6'5, 240 lb athletes

Reaction Score
Davis is not being moved to TE because he's too valuable to not have as a TE. He's being moved there because he was not going to figure in the depth chart at QB. His development as a QB did not materialize as was hoped when he was recruited. He may be a terrific athlete and turn out to be an NFL TE, but we lost some hoped for and needed depth at QB.

We have to hope the BS stays healthy and that Anderson can be a poised and effective back-up and also stays healthy. Freshman QBs = TOs, and if we have to put Bisack or Williams on the field this season we could be in a lot of trouble.

Is what it is. I still think we are in the market for a transfer or JUCO for next season.

Reaction Score
I see from the updated roster that Davis is listed as a "F." It's not a big deal, but what is the point of this "new" position? Is any defense going to be confused seeing a F on the field as opposed to a TE?

Reaction Score
Moving Davis means he needs to adjust his body for the position, including adding weight. as such, this feels to be more than a temporary move. If we experience issues there, he can move back. But I sense barring unforeseen events, this is a perm move.

I like the idea of taking an athlete and giving him an opportunity to play rather than hold a clipboard. But we'll all see in a few weeks.

As for building depth at qb, we hear about a battle for starter. More, Diaco has recruited a qb every year, so the pipeline feels better (to me) now than it has in many years.

Reaction Score
Fwiw I don't know if the pipeline feels better but I like what Diaco is doing in bringing in a juco for immediate support and recruiting quarterbacks in every class. With luck one of them turns out to be above average. And the others find other roles. I assume he will also be on the lookout for available transfers/juncos going forward to fill in when needed. I'm not yet confined that the pipeline is set but I have a sense that it is at least a pipeline now..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fwiw I don't know if the pipeline feels better but I like what Diaco is doing in bringing in a juco for immediate support and recruiting quarterbacks in every class. With luck one of them turns out to be above average. And the others find other roles. I assume he will also be on the lookout for available transfers/juncos going forward to fill in when needed. I'm not yet confined that the pipeline is set but I have a sense that it is at least a pipeline now..

It's all relative right? Compared to where we were in 2014, it looks pretty good. We have a guy we know is decent as a starter. We have a SR former JUCO backup, who has at least played some games at that level. We have a RS freshmen who seems to be passing the eye test well enough that they feel they can move Davis. We've got another freshman RS this year (presumably) and another coming in next year.

I think they are moving Davis is to maximize his possible value to the team as an athlete, but they don't do it unless Anderson and Bisack look as capable or more so at QB.

Reaction Score
Johnny McEntee

Let's not talk pipeline until you all grasp that he was an early year starter here ... with virtually no alternatives.

Reaction Score
Say he and Bisack are close but neither is, as Diaco put it, closing the gap anytime soon. Then WTF, get the kid own the field doing something else rather than holding a clipboard. I mean you have to swallow your pride and help the team. Having said that I was hoping that he was fighting Anderson for the #2 spot by now.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Oh no! Our third (or possibly fourth or maybe even fifth QB) might be more valuable as a TE! Our long term future is ruined! :D :p

Reaction Score
Ed Daigneault ‏@EdDaigneault Aug 10
Tyler Davis on his move to TE: "If (Diaco) wanted me to be the water boy, I'd be the water boy. I'd do anything for that guy." #UConn

Regardless of what his move to TE means to his development at QB and the depth on the roster at QB, this is a resounding comment about their head coach. These kids will do anything for Diaco, each other and this program. To me that is huge and they have come a long way in the past 3 years. I love to hear comments like this.

Reaction Score

When UCONN utilizes 2 TE sets Alec Bloom is usually the Y and Myers is usually . In most scenarios Bloom is on the line with traditional blocking assignments ... releasing for shallow crosses and 5-6 yard sits. Myers is the "move TE" ... could line up anywhere from FB to slot ... shifting formations ... changing the leverage ... sometimes in motion at the snap ... depending on protection his routes are usually a little deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom