Two thoughts after today's game | The Boneyard

Two thoughts after today's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First, the key to the sox being a better team is the general manager. Cashman is a horrific general manager. A monkey can spend this much money and put together a better team.

Second, sox fans show their lack of class by chanting "yankees suck". Really? Winning the game isn't enough? Pathetic.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
What an incredibly stupid statement. They both have good GM's. Period.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did you see the fans on Tek's hit down the left field line? They stayed out of the way. Those are good fans, it would have been easy to grab that ball.

zls44

Reaction Score
Did you see the fans on Tek's hit down the left field line? They stayed out of the way. Those are good fans, it would have been easy to grab that ball.

Looked like it hit the red wall. But they were smart enough to stay back. It's still a frigging dump.

Reaction Score
I think he is dumber than a monkey. You can't prove he is a good GM and I can't prove he isn't. It is all opinions, OBVIOUSLY. I base my opinion on the fact that he does less with more, consistently. He was handed a solid team with a great farm system and even he couldn't screw that up...at first. But he eventually did. Period my . The only stupid thing stated here was that another's person's opinion is stupid. What, you can't handle someone seeing things differently than you do? Do you think the offense, particularly against decent to good pitchers, is comensurate with the money spent on position players? I don't. Do you think the pitching has a number of dominate, lights out, pitchers commensurate with the money spent on the staff? I don't. At what point do people stop blaming the players and start blaming the guy that signed them all? Sure, one or two bad moves will happen. But how many players that he acquired or kept have played up to expectations or their salaries and how many players that he passed on or traded away have had great seasons since? People whine about the payroll of the Yankees for a reason. It is absurd. And, still, I don't see a team that is crushing other teams like their payroll is crushing that of other teams. THAT is the bottom line. Period.

zls44

Reaction Score
Before Cashman got control- real, legitimate, like-every-other-GM control- they didn't even have a farm system since Stick. Cashman got control and they re-did the entire drafting/development process. You can see the rewards the last couple of years, and you get to see the biggest potential reward tomorrow night in Jesus Montero.

If Cashman wasn't in charge, they'd have traded him for scrap.

Greg Golson's arm in Sept. last year...the occasional flashes from Hughes/Joba...Ian Kennedy...Cano...Nunez' bat...Banuelos...Robertson...Gardner...Melky...I could go on.

He's drafting between 29-50 in the first round when he even has a draft pick. I'm impressed by Cashman because of the stuff they've developed. The Orioles and Dodgers have thrown cash around in the past. But it takes a good GM to set up a system where they develop talent, too.

Reaction Score
Looked like it hit the red wall. But they were smart enough to stay back. It's still a frigging dump.

I'd much rather they build a generic new stadium and triple the number of luxury boxes and premium seating. Wrigley field is another dump that needs to go. Character, tradition and architecture have no place in the game of baseball, give me four bases then simply maximize the $ and fannies in the seats, that's what every single stadium should be. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i don't disagree with you there. most think it's charming cuz it's old and has character, but i was there 4 years ago and was shocked at how dumpy it was. of course, i live in San Diego and while i'm not keen on the ball park we ended up with here (it's far different than the one we voted on), it's very well designed and has a very open and airy feel to it.

Reaction Score
I guess it personal preference, similarly I'd rather stay at an old school hotel with some character but small rooms versus a state of the art Marriott. Yes Fenway is aged and the grandstand seats can be uncomfortable, and section 1-11 are really bad viewing - but its value as a tourist attraction year-after-year is undeniable and even the best new stadiums run out of that juice after a couple years.

And there is a HUGE chance and far greater likelihood that any rebuild would be a mediocre monstrosity ala the Fleet Center/TD Bank Garden. As bad as the Boston Garden (calling it the Old Garden is an insult and implies the new thing is anywhere close) was and that place was unquestionable a dump and a fire trap, I think any true basketball fan would much rather be going to Celtics games there versus the cookie cutter.

Reaction Score
I think he is dumber than a monkey. You can't prove he is a good GM and I can't prove he isn't. It is all opinions, OBVIOUSLY. I base my opinion on the fact that he does less with more, consistently. He was handed a solid team with a great farm system and even he couldn't screw that up...at first. But he eventually did. Period my . The only stupid thing stated here was that another's person's opinion is stupid. What, you can't handle someone seeing things differently than you do? Do you think the offense, particularly against decent to good pitchers, is comensurate with the money spent on position players? I don't. Do you think the pitching has a number of dominate, lights out, pitchers commensurate with the money spent on the staff? I don't. At what point do people stop blaming the players and start blaming the guy that signed them all? Sure, one or two bad moves will happen. But how many players that he acquired or kept have played up to expectations or their salaries and how many players that he passed on or traded away have had great seasons since? People whine about the payroll of the Yankees for a reason. It is absurd. And, still, I don't see a team that is crushing other teams like their payroll is crushing that of other teams. THAT is the bottom line. Period.

I look to the fact that the Yankees have made the playoffs every year but one during Cashman's reign. You can point to all the money they've spent, but a lot of teams that spend a lot of money don't have anywhere near that type of success. He's made some shrewd signings like Swisher, Colon & Garcia, some solid trades like Curtis Granderson and they've kept some homegrown talent like Cano & Gardner that I'm sure would have made good trade bait. Sure there have been some flops, but what GM has no signings they don't regret?

Reaction Score
But how many players that he acquired or kept have played up to expectations or their salaries and how many players that he passed on or traded away have had great seasons since?

Feel free to answer your own questions and prove Cashman is as bad as you say.

For every miss on Al Aceves or Tabata for Nagy / Marte, there is a Bobby Abreu for spare parts or Nick Swisher for Wilson Betemit move. You could argue they gave up on Cabrera too soon, but if they hadn't, where would he be playing ? Gardner is STILL a better player. And they got value (potentially at the time) for him in trade with Atlanta.

Just because Phil Hughes at age 25 hasn't fully lived up to the hype - YET - doesn't mean Cashman is a failure.

zls44

Reaction Score
He had Raph Soriano foisted upon him & Feliciano's shoulder is a mess, but Chavez, the kids they've called up, Andruw Jones, Martin, all very good moves. This is the deepest Yankee bench I can remember. Reminds me of having guys like Canseco, Fielder, Sojo, Leyritz on the bench.

zls44

Reaction Score
I'd much rather they build a generic new stadium and triple the number of luxury boxes and premium seating. Wrigley field is another dump that needs to go. Character, tradition and architecture have no place in the game of baseball, give me four bases then simply maximize the $ and fannies in the seats, that's what every single stadium should be. :rolleyes:

They can re-build Fenway, putting basically a second deck on it, and lose nothing. What they'd gain is public safety and joining Post-WWI building codes.

Nobody seems to think much of Fenway every winter when they're stuck in that stupid waiting room to try and buy the most expensive average prices in baseball.

But hey, at least they can self-proclaim it America's most beloved ballpark. Hooey.

Reaction Score
The market is usually a good measure of value, and if Cashman left NY he'd be hired pretty quickly by another team.

Reaction Score
They can re-build Fenway, putting basically a second deck on it, and lose nothing. What they'd gain is public safety and joining Post-WWI building codes.

Nobody seems to think much of Fenway every winter when they're stuck in that stupid waiting room to try and buy the most expensive average prices in baseball.

But hey, at least they can self-proclaim it America's most beloved ballpark. Hooey.

Every winter people are in a waiting room to pay the most expensive prices in baseball and you think somethings gotta change?!

Reaction Score
Every winter people are in a waiting room to pay the most expensive prices in baseball and you think somethings gotta change?!
i think that has more to do with the minimal capacity than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom