Twitter vs ESPN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Twitter vs ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You're correct that present-day sports broadcasting is an expensive business. But you'd be foolish to ignore this basic math:

Viewers - especially millenials - are rapidly moving away from traditional cable TV, and ESPN is cutting expenses to compensate. They've already laid off hundreds of tenured employees, and are utilizing cost-saving methods in their broadcasts, such as having announcers call games from a remote location.

The days of relying on non-sports-fan-cable-subscribers to subsidize sports broadcasting are dwindling. Networks need new ways to monetize viewers, and streaming is the future.

This thread isn't so much about Twitter or another streaming service overtaking ESPN or eliminating cable altogether. Instead, it's a discussion about how the changing landscape of broadcasting will cut into ESPN's marketshare, and how that will impact future sports media negotiations.

No argument. But there's no magic elixir in streaming. Somebody has to monetize those rights fees somehow, and pay to produce the content. If streaming and cable cord cutting makes that harder, then (a) streamed content will have to become more costly to consumers and/or (b) rights fees will go down.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Television ratings for everything this September are abysmal including the NFL.

Network prime-time is ridiculously bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No argument. But there's no magic elixir in streaming. Somebody has to monetize those rights fees somehow, and pay to produce the content. If streaming and cable cord cutting makes that harder, then (a) streamed content will have to become more costly to consumers and/or (b) rights fees will go down.

It won't be or. It will be and.

When the day comes that ESPN and others sports networks aren't collecting billions of dollars from people who don't watch sports...
Look out below.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It won't be or. It will be and.

When the day comes that ESPN and others sports networks aren't collecting billions of dollars from people who don't watch sports...
Look out below.

Yes, and about 50+ channels currently on basic cable will go bye bye. Nobody is paying even 25 cents a month for Lifetime.

Reaction Score
Pac-12 Networks Announces Live Streaming Partnership with Twitter
Pac-12 Networks Announces Live Streaming Partnership with Twitter

SAN FRANCISCO (July 14, 2016) – Pac-12 Networks announced today that Twitter will be its premier streaming partner for Pac-12 Plus, a broadband network of live events produced by the conference’s 12 universities, with at least 150 games over the 2016-2017 academic year live streamed to fans on Twitter.

“The Pac-12 Networks’ collaboration with Twitter reflects our ongoing commitment to increasing exposure for Pac-12 universities and their live, school-produced events,” said Pac-12 Networks President Lydia Murphy-Stephans. “By expanding our digital footprint, Pac-12 Plus also allows us to connect more fans with more, live Pac-12 sports content through a platform they use every day.”

“Twitter is the fastest way to find out what is happening in live sports,” said Anthony Noto, Twitter's chief financial officer. “Our partnership with the Pac-12 Networks will give sports fans a great way to view live sporting events along with the live Twitter conversation they are already accustomed to.”

The final roster of school-produced Olympic events shown on Pac-12 Plus will be determined as the season approaches, but will include Olympic sports such as soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, baseball, ice hockey, swimming & diving, softball, track & field, wrestling, lacrosse, tennis, and water polo.

These events are produced by Pac-12 universities and will also still be streamed on university official athletic sites and Pac-12.com. This partnership further establishes Pac-12 Networks’ leadership in engaging fans in new and innovative ways.

Reaction Score
Twitter is now the home of college sports live-streams thanks to Campus Insiders deal
Twitter is now the home of college sports live-streams thanks to Campus Insiders deal

Read more: Twitter is now the home of college sports live-streams thanks to Campus Insiders deal
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook
Barely a week has passed since Twitter announced its live-streaming deal with Pac-12 Networks, and it is already adding hundreds of additional college sports live games to its lineup.

Twitter’s latest partnership is with Campus Insiders, a digital platform that broadcasts live events on its website, smartphone apps, and across a range of streaming devices. As part of the deal, Twitter will live-stream more than 300 college sports events including football, basketball, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, volleyball, field hockey, water polo, and swimming.

In addition to the live broadcasts, Twitter will also stream breaking news, highlights, and match analysis segments produced by Campus Insiders and the ACC Digital Network, both of which are owned by Silver Chalice.

Read more: Twitter is now the home of college sports live-streams thanks to Campus Insiders deal
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Twitter To Live Stream First College Football Games This Week With Mountain West Conference
Twitter To Live Stream First College Football Games This Week With Mountain West Conference
College football will appear on Twitter starting with the Utah State-Weber State game and also on Saturday when Mountain West Conference team Air Force hosts Abilene Christian. Neither game is being televised, but Twitter will broadcast the stream produced by the Mountain West Network on Campus Insiders to a worldwide audience.

Mountain West Conference commissioner Craig Thompson said earlier this month that the Mountain West would be the only NCAA Division I football conference that will be live streaming football games this fall.

Reaction Score
Fishy and others claimed that Twitter would never be able to compete with ESPN to purchase live sports but with the NFL, PACN, and now even FBS football games it sure looks like they are moving in that direction to me.

If the Big 12 can pull it's head out of its' arese it might be able to pull off a conference network deal with Twitter through this round of realignment. Also might be a big deal if the AAC decides to add Western schools and redo its' TV deal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fishy and others claimed that Twitter would never be able to compete with ESPN to purchase live sports but with the NFL, PACN, and now even FBS football games it sure looks like they are moving in that direction to me.

If the Big 12 can pull it's head out of its' arese it might be able to pull off a conference network deal with Twitter through this round of realignment. Also might be a big deal if the AAC decides to add Western schools and redo its' TV deal.

What are they paying for those games and who is producing them.

Looks like 0 and not Twitter.

Call me when there is a way to make actual money.

Reaction Score
Who is going to set up all the "infrastructure" at a live event to make this happen? Think about all the stuff that goes into each game, like the cables suspended over the field and cameras runnning along them. Having HuskyHawk on the sidelines of the Rent with one hand on an iPhone 7 Plus and the other hand down his pants is not going to cut it for most viewers. I don't think twitter has all of this locked up yet. They must be paying for the rights to use someone else's feed, right?

Reaction Score
What are they paying for those games and who is producing them.

Looks like 0 and not Twitter.

Call me when there is a way to make actual money.

From my basic understanding Twitter makes money differently as far as advertising goes. That was in the article where they purchased NFL games and letting the NFL keep some of the advertising income from commercials.

As far as production if you had read the article it was quite clear. Mountain West Network. Campus Insiders, PAC Universities, ACC Digital Network, etc...

This change has been going on for a few of years and it's obvious Twitter is focusing on live college sports looking at what has happened the last 2 months If you want to pretend none of this is happening or that it's all getting done for free you are entitled to your opinion but I can assure you there is $ involved. Heck broadcasting an Air Force football game probably had at least a few people watching. I have no doubt BTN will be next to look at other options like this.

So are you just trolling or do you really believe none of this is actually happening?

Reaction Score
As far as production if you had read the article it was quite clear. Mountain West Network. Campus Insiders, PAC Universities, ACC Digital Network, etc..
I understood that from the article but I find it very hard to believe that Campus Insiders (never heard of them until now), the PAC universities, etc are going to be able to deliver such a high quality product in terms of video quality and magnitude (angles, replays, HD, graphics, stats, etc). It seems like quite a bit of overhead for entities like the universities.

Reaction Score
Who is going to set up all the "infrastructure" at a live event to make this happen? Think about all the stuff that goes into each game, like the cables suspended over the field and cameras runnning along them. Having HuskyHawk on the sidelines of the Rent with one hand on an iPhone 7 Plus and the other hand down his pants is not going to cut it for most viewers. I don't think twitter has all of this locked up yet. They must be paying for the rights to use someone else's feed, right?

For the PACN it's the individual schools. I assume it's the same for the Mountain West Network, and ACC Digital Network. Campus Insiders also does some of the production. Each of those articles touches on production.

Reaction Score
I understood that from the article but I find it very hard to believe that Campus Insiders (never heard of them until now), the PAC universities, etc are going to be able to deliver such a high quality product in terms of video quality and magnitude (angles, replays, HD, graphics, stats, etc). It seems like quite a bit of overhead for entities like the universities.

You asked so I repeated it. I believe Campus Insiders has been doing this for a while so this is nothing new.

Campus Insiders Offers Unique Media Training For Students
CHICAGO, IL – Campus Insiders has joined forces with its conference partners including the Patriot League and West Coast Conference to provide students with a unique learning experience.

Campus Insiders is working directly with students of the Patriot League and West Coast Conference member schools to produce live sporting events. Students will gain hands on media experience by either assisting the Campus Insiders production team on site or by producing the game on their own with the use of Campus Insiders professional equipment and direction. These television quality productions will stream live across the Campus Insiders Network including the official Patriot League Network on CampusInsiders.com and the Patriot League and Campus Insiders mobile apps. Select games will also be made available on the Campus Insiders channels on Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Fire and Go90.

Boston University, a member of the Patriot League, has led the effort by creating a formal partnership with its College of Communication’s BUTV10 to produce more than 100 live sporting events on the Patriot League Network each academic year. Students from Boston University work alongside members of their athletic department, as well as Campus Insiders’ producers, to execute the production of live games for their school.

Another indication are some of teh on campus studios that we have seen such as the project ant North Carolina State that was put out to bid before the ACC Network was announced.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Students. So the feeds are going to suck in August, slowly get better until May and then start all over again come August.

Reaction Score
Campus Insiders

Looks like they already do production for the ACC and Big 12 digital networks as well as other conferences like the Mountain West, CUSA, Patriot, etc...

In fact UConn will be playing on one of thier networks today.
1:00 pm
Connecticut at Boston University
Field Hockey
network-patriot-league-network.svg

Reaction Score
Interesting. Students. So the feeds are going to suck in August, slowly get better until May and then start all over again come August.

Snap out of it man. This has been going on for quite some time. Go jump on thier website and see what it's about. More than likely you have watched one of thier games and just didn't' know it.

Students do production work on many of these conference networks, especially for sports with limited appeal. There is nobody running the sidelines with an I phone.

Reaction Score
Snap out of it man. This has been going on for quite some time. Go jump on thier website and see what it's about. More than likely you have watched one of thier games and just didn't' know it.

Students do production work on many of these conference networks, especially for sports with limited appeal. There is nobody running the sidelines with an I phone.
Just watched a bit of the Villanova v. Lafayette football game from yesterday I believe. It's nice for FCS but I cannot imaging watching FBS football like that. It's decent but there is a significant difference in quality. I guess the old adage holds: you get what you pay for.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From my basic understanding Twitter makes money differently as far as advertising goes. That was in the article where they purchased NFL games and letting the NFL keep some of the advertising income from commercials.

As far as production if you had read the article it was quite clear. Mountain West Network. Campus Insiders, PAC Universities, ACC Digital Network, etc...

This change has been going on for a few of years and it's obvious Twitter is focusing on live college sports looking at what has happened the last 2 months If you want to pretend none of this is happening or that it's all getting done for free you are entitled to your opinion but I can assure you there is $ involved. Heck broadcasting an Air Force football game probably had at least a few people watching. I have no doubt BTN will be next to look at other options like this.

So are you just trolling or do you really believe none of this is actually happening?

How is it trolling to point out that Twitter doesn't pay to stream this stuff and they don't do the production?

Yeah they stream stuff you can already stream on CI.

None of this is the earth shattering change you are claiming it to be.

Call me when people actually make money and not when they are streaming volleyball games so that the player's families can watch.

Reaction Score
How is it trolling to point out that Twitter doesn't pay to stream this stuff and they don't do the production?

Yeah they stream stuff you can already stream on CI.

None of this is the earth shattering change you are claiming it to be.

Call me when people actually make money and not when they are streaming volleyball games so that the player's families can watch.

It is actually earth shattering that live college sports will be viewed on Twitter and Hulu. You can continue to pretend otherwise but it represents a major change in how we watch live sports and we are likely only seeing the top of this iceberg.

Most of us realized twitter is not doing the production. Why would they? You can continue to dwell on that or you can accept that in the new era of TV the company who broadcasts does not always do the production. Been that way for years with on campus production of events. Where have you been?

Do you really not think UT students do some production work on LHN?

You have to keep in mind this is evolving so the company who streams/broadcasts games doesn't' always do the production. BTN produces content (with student help) and then sells it elsewhere as well. This is nothing new.

Call me when yo do some research on this so we can have a real conversation instead of you just claiming it will never work.

Do you think the NFL let Twitter stream football games for free? LOL

Reaction Score
You seem shocked that a FCS game is not broadcast the same way a p-5 matchup on ABC is broadcast. Have you never watched FCS or low level FBS games?

Almost all the olympic sports content on conference networks is like that as well. Has nothing to do with Twitter. Mid major sports have been that way for decades. LOL.

If you are expecting field hockey to look like a p-5 football game as far as production you are going to be disappointed.

Honestly it's really strange that you would expect a villanova vs lafayette FB game to be a quality production. Why are you shocked by the level of production in that game? Seriously. Why?

Twitter and Hulu are just testing the waters with inexpensive college sports content right now. Won't' be long until they are putting better more valuable content. Already have FBS football games so it's obvious they are moving that direction.

IT's funny looking at how we differ. I think we are seeing the beginning of a huge change in how we watch live sports and you guys seem to think this will never work and just a fad that will pass. I guess we will see who is right the next few years.

Just watched a bit of the Villanova v. Lafayette football game from yesterday I believe. It's nice for FCS but I cannot imaging watching FBS football like that. It's decent but there is a significant difference in quality. I guess the old adage holds: you get what you pay for.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It is actually earth shattering that live college sports will be viewed on Twitter and Hulu. You can continue to pretend otherwise but it represents a major change in how we watch live sports and we are likely only seeing the top of this iceberg.

Most of us realized twitter is not doing the production. Why would they? You can continue to dwell on that or you can accept that in the new era of TV the company who broadcasts does not always do the production. Been that way for years with on campus production of events. Where have you been?

Do you really not think UT students do some production work on LHN?

You have to keep in mind this is evolving so the company who streams/broadcasts games doesn't' always do the production. BTN produces content (with student help) and then sells it elsewhere as well. This is nothing new.

Call me when yo do some research on this so we can have a real conversation instead of you just claiming it will never work.

Do you think the NFL let Twitter stream football games for free? LOL

Honestly you are too dim to even deal with. No Twitter is paying $10 million for the 10 NFL games.

If you don't think it matters who produces the games and how that impacts what is going on - enjoy.

I never said it wouldn't work - yet not a single person who talks like you do on this board ever comes up with even fantasy math to make a case about how it's financially viable.

Reaction Score
Honestly you are too dim to even deal with. No Twitter is paying $10 million for the 10 NFL games.

If you don't think it matters who produces the games and how that impacts what is going on - enjoy.

I never said it wouldn't work - yet not a single person who talks like you do on this board ever comes up with even fantasy math to make a case about how it's financially viable.

LOL. When you have no actual evidence to present, just go personal. I prefer to use facts.
Twitter Gets NFL Thursday Night Games for a Bargain Price

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Twitter Inc. just did its first broadcast deal, and it’s a big one. The company will stream 10 Thursday night National Football League games during the 2016 season, a package that cost the service around $10 million, according to a person familiar with the matter.

I don't think twitter has to produce sporting event to stream them. If you feel that they do enjoy, but that hardly makes it true.

We have already seen conference produce content that is sold elsewhere. BTN has been doing it for a while now as have others. This is not a new concept, not sure why you seem to think it is.

So you now claim you never said it wouldn't work, but in the next sentence say it won't work from a financial perspective. Essentially saying its' "not feasible", AKA "wont work."

I have no idea how twitter will make money at this, they do things so differently than normal networks it's hard to imagine how they will make $ but I have no doubt they will. And with so many other streaming options there is sure to be others who want that content.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL. When you have no actual evidence to present, just go personal. I prefer to use facts.
Twitter Gets NFL Thursday Night Games for a Bargain Price

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Twitter Inc. just did its first broadcast deal, and it’s a big one. The company will stream 10 Thursday night National Football League games during the 2016 season, a package that cost the service around $10 million, according to a person familiar with the matter.

I don't think twitter has to produce sporting event to stream them. If you feel that they do enjoy, but that hardly makes it true.

We have already seen conference produce content that is sold elsewhere. BTN has been doing it for a while now as have others. This is not a new concept, not sure why you seem to think it is.

So you now claim you never said it wouldn't work, but in the next sentence say it won't work from a financial perspective. Essentially saying its' "not feasible", AKA "wont work."

I have no idea how twitter will make money at this, they do things so differently than normal networks it's hard to imagine how they will make $ but I have no doubt they will. And with so many other streaming options there is sure to be others who want that content.

I never said it wasn't going to work.

I like how you admit that you don't know how they will make money on it - odd that you can have that opinion but be so certain that it's going to turn into a revenue stream for conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom