Tulane Trip Shaping Up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tulane Trip Shaping Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Two really good restaurants are Peche Seafood Grill and Root. Go to Frenchmen Street for music. It's not as good as it was years ago but still worth a trip if you haven't been to that section. Rock N Bowl is also fun.

Reaction Score
One of my best friends went on and on and on about it. And I kept explaining that I just don't like olives. You could make the best muffaletta in the world but it won't make me a fan of olives. It's unbelievable how people can't understand something like, "Just cause you like it doesn't mean I will."

I get not liking the sandwich but who the doesn't like olives?!?!?!?!?

Reaction Score
I was originally thinking BYU for away game this year but Tulane might win out simply for New Orleans... Never been and I really want to go.

Possible fun in NOLA vs. possible fun in Provo? I can't say one bad thing about the Mormons I've met. However, they are little light in the drinking, chasing women and other aspects of debauchery we non-Mormons cherish. Just something to keep in mind.

Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
So if we are going Friday to Sunday with game included - what are the MUST do's? Accommodation recommendations? Restaurant recommendations?
1. Commanders palace. Food is 5 star... I recommend lunch cause it was a lot cheaper and they serve .25 cent martinis.
2. See the preservation hall jazz concert. DO NOT be deterred by waiting in line for an hour plus (you can buy beer in line). There's no food or booze inside and almost no seats. This is my personal #1 on the don't miss list.

Reaction Score
So if we are going Friday to Sunday with game included - what are the MUST do's?
Accommodation recommendations?
Restaurant recommendations?
I am a many time New Orleans visitor, including both Women's Final Fours and last year's UConn/Tulane football game. The New Orleans Marriott on Canal at the edge of the French Quarter is a good choice for a full service hotel. Last year I enjoyed staying at one of the old boutique hotels in the Quarter, the Hotel St. Marie.

Restaurants start with Commander's Palace, one of my three favorite restaurants anywhere. Note that there is a dress code. Diner is pricey, but the food and experience are worth it. I always liked Brennan's (the birthplace of Bananas Foster) in the Quarter, but it was closed last year. It has reopened; I hope that it is what it was. For seafood Drago's is popular; in the French Quarter try The Red Fish Grill or the Acme Oyster House.

When you get home, folks who have been to New Orleans may ask if you had a Central Grocery muffuletta, a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's (their red jambalaya is not bad), and beignets with hickory coffee at Café Du Monde -- be prepared to stand in line for a table at their French Market location, and check out Jackson Square.

If you have time, I recommend the World War II Museum. Catch their the short "Beyond All Boundaries" 4-D film experience, with narration by Tom Hanks. I also recommend the Creole Queen Paddlewheeler cruise to The Battle of New Orleans, which includes on-site Chalmette battlefield narration by the National Park Service.

From downtown, the St. Charles Streetcar through the beautiful Garden District to Tulane is fun if not quick. Get off at Audubon Park and walk to campus. And if you have time, a Park walk and the Audubon Zoo.

Reaction Score
I am a many time New Orleans visitor, including both Women's Final Fours and last year's UConn/Tulane football game. The New Orleans Marriott on Canal at the edge of the French Quarter is a good choice for a full service hotel. Last year I enjoyed staying at one of the old boutique hotels in the Quarter, the Hotel St. Marie.

Restaurants start with Commander's Palace, one of my three favorite restaurants anywhere. Note that there is a dress code. Diner is pricey, but the food and experience are worth it. I always liked Brennan's (the birthplace of Bananas Foster) in the Quarter, but it was closed last year. It has reopened; I hope that it is what it was. For seafood Drago's is popular; in the French Quarter try The Red Fish Grill or the Acme Oyster House.

When you get home, folks who have been to New Orleans may ask if you had a Central Grocery muffuletta, a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's (their red jambalaya is not bad), and beignets with hickory coffee at Café Du Monde -- be prepared to stand in line for a table at their French Market location, and check out Jackson Square.

If you have time, I recommend the World War II Museum. Catch their the short "Beyond All Boundaries" 4-D film experience, with narration by Tom Hanks. I also recommend the Creole Queen Paddlewheeler cruise to The Battle of New Orleans, which includes on-site Chalmette battlefield narration by the National Park Service.

From downtown, the St. Charles Streetcar through the beautiful Garden District to Tulane is fun if not quick. Get off at Audubon Park and walk to campus. And if you have time, a Park walk and the Audubon Zoo.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you like Oysters, the fried oyster po-boy and the grilled oysters at Drago's are must haves. The only must do down there are the beignets and coffee at Cafe Dumonde.

A fried oyster Po Boy is my second favorite sammich; trails the Cuban sammich by the smallest of margins.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Concur on the WWII exhibit. Tom Benson, the owner of the Saints, has been a huge donor to veteran's groups for a very long period of time. He puts his money where his mouth and heart are at.

Not a big fan of muffuletta's but it has to do with me not liking salami or olive spreads. Mrs. Chin is a big fan.

I would personally walk by Café du Monde and get the pics but wouldn't wait 30 seconds for the beignets. There's not a whole lot going on with the recipe. You go there for the photo op and Facebook update. Plenty of places in town have the same or better quality beignet.

Birthplace of Banana Foster's? I'm in for that.

I usually stop by Pat O'Brien's just to relive some great personal history stories that I've had with friends there.

As for music, follow your ears. You can't go wrong.

Reaction Score
I haven't been since the Packers/pats Super Bowl in the late 90s. Maybe time to go back.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Booked a room for Thurs-Mon. Should be a fun November weekend.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Booked a room for Thurs-Mon. Should be a fun November weekend.

Yes, it should. This thread put the wheels in motion for us to put a trip together. I'm already looking forward to it.

Reaction Score
Would people want me to try and get a group rate room block somewhere? Maybe at the Marriott suggested by Mikejays?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Would people want me to try and get a group rate room block somewhere? Maybe at the Marriott suggested by Mikejays?
We're all set with rooms but would be interested in a pre-game meet.

Reaction Score
Whoever mentioned Commanders Palace sure hit the nail on the head. Absolutely one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. I have a friend who is a real foodie who ranks it in the top 5 in the World. And he travels extensively. As far as Cafe Dumond it is the opposite but is just a nice place to take a break for reasons I can't exactly explain.

Reaction Score
Whoever mentioned Commanders Palace sure hit the nail on the head. Absolutely one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. I have a friend who is a real foodie who ranks it in the top 5 in the World. And he travels extensively. As far as Cafe Dumond it is the opposite but is just a nice place to take a break for reasons I can't exactly explain.
If going to Commanders Palace, wear long slacks. I was denied just to stop in for a drink with shorts on. Suppose to be top notch though.

Reaction Score
Of all the places I have been, definitely my least favorite city. I might have liked it better when I was in college.

The only good thing I saw there was the WWII museum. Definitely worth a visit.
Personally I love the city. I have been going to the Jazz Fest for 10 years. I had never been to the WWII museum but thanks to your post I went this year. Awesome!! Spent 3 hours there and barely scratch the surface. Will definitely go back next year. They are adding a new building in 2016. Thanks for the heads up.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
was in NOLA for jazzfest last week . . . 3 hour delay on Southwest got me a $200 voucher. They fly non-stop Newark to NOLA once a day. But they don't start booking reservations in November 2015 until tomorrow (May 14). Im hoping I can snag flights for the game weekend first thing in the morning complements of the airline

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
.. But they don't start booking reservations in November 2015 until tomorrow (May 14).

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering when November would open up. We booked this morning, $374 from Bradley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom