Tuberville stepping down. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tuberville stepping down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's a good lesson at how you can turn a big negative around and gain momentum. When you have a fan base who is flogging you for a change, you can give it to them and if you choose wisely maybe end up with momentum going into the next season where it was looking to be desperate. A new coach likely brings some added recruits, fans want to see what the new guy can do with a very young roster etc, and all the sudden everyone is focused again on September. It's important to be stealth and strike quick though. I'm now curious to see what coach they land. Good for the AAC if they get a good coach. I saw where Purdue guy had an article this am after that announcement worrying Cincy would take their candidate(s). Funny.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Tuberville’s buyout was set to decrease from $2.4 million to $1.5 million on December 7.

They obviously were able to negotiate something to get out in front of the coaching carousel. Cincinnati gets it. They know the importance of football and act like it. Tuberville was their only bad coach hire in the past 20 years. I have no doubt the next coach at Cincinnati will be good and win right away.

We're double lacing our cement shoes.

Reaction Score
They won't get PJ Fleck, not a chance. He's already more or less turned down Purdue and is a candidate at Oregon. No way he's choosing Cincinnati when he's getting interest from mid- to top-tier P5 schools like UO. There's even a few reports that Notre Dame could be a candidate if they work out something with Kelly. Wouldn't shock me if Strong ended up at UC though.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Cincinnati acting like a school who wants in the P5. UConn being left in the dust.

Dennis DoddVerified account ‏@dennisdoddcbs 2h2 hours ago
Cincinnati makes it official on TT. Gotta think Jeff Brohm and Charlie Strong are candidates.

Jody Demling ‏@jdemling 2h2 hours ago
Can confirm that Cincinnati has already reached out to Western Kentucky coach Jeff Brohm.

Dan WolkenVerified account ‏@DanWolken 3h3 hours ago
The numbers I’ve heard floated for Purdue are in excess of $3 million. Will be interesting to see if Cincy can come close to that for Brohm

Pat FordeVerified account ‏@YahooForde 3h3 hours ago
Multiple reports that Tommy Tuberville is resigning at Cincinnati. Accelerated timing allows UC to get into Jeff Brohm Sweepstakes.

Reaction Score
I thought I'd seen another report of Brohm interviewing at Baylor. Other than Purdue, UC is the only other schools I'd seen reported with interest in him. Baylor is toxic and Purdue is a garbage P5 job so UC isn't out of the question there.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The majority of Coach contracts have a January to December term. There are a few exception but most run calendar year.

So, we make the same mistake most everybody else makes just because they're making it? That makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
So, we make the same mistake most everybody else makes just because they're making it? That makes a lot of sense.

Yeah... I'm sure ADs @ schools like Clemson, WVA, Lousiville, Michigan, etc.. have no clue what they are doing w/ structuring coaches' contracts.

Reaction Score
There's been a bunch of Cincinnati beat reporters saying UC is interested in Fleck. Without a series of really, really specific things happening he won't end up there. He has to explicitly not want to leave the Midwest, UC has to come up with P5 money to pay him, no other Midwest or other attractive P5 jobs have to open (Purdue does not count here), and the timing has to work exactly right. UC has to essentially throw a hail mary to get him. And if ND decides to part with Kelly or vice versa, it's game over for UC on Fleck.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
There's been a bunch of Cincinnati beat reporters saying UC is interested in Fleck. Without a series of really, really specific things happening he won't end up there. He has to explicitly not want to leave the Midwest, UC has to come up with P5 money to pay him, no other Midwest or other attractive P5 jobs have to open (Purdue does not count here), and the timing has to work exactly right. UC has to essentially throw a hail mary to get him. And if ND decides to part with Kelly or vice versa, it's game over for UC on Fleck.
I believe that story came from this quote...

At Cincinnati, sources tell us two prominent names in the upcoming search are expected to be PJ Fleck and Troy head coach Neal Brown. Fleck is a candidate at Oregon; but should he not be the choice, we are told Cincinnati could come calling and offers a place Fleck believes he could go 13-0…and win a National Championship. Brown is very familiar with the recruiting area due to his time as offensive coordinator at Kentucky (2013-2014) and has done an excellent job as head coach at Troy the past two seasons.

Sources: Tommy Tuberville stepping down - FootballScoop

Reaction Score
Pretty uphill battle getting into the CFP out of the AAC, if Oregon is on the list the only reason he turns it down is location.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Pretty uphill battle getting into the CFP out of the AAC, if Oregon is on the list the only reason he turns it down is location.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Oregon that passes on Fleck, not vice versa.

Reaction Score
I think folks are getting a little ahead of themselves on Fleck. He's not doubt a very good coach, but a program like Oregon paying him big bucks seems a little premature. He's winning in the MAC. To hire a guy not from the west coast for big, big money may be a little ahead of the game. Same for Brohm and Baylor. Purdue is a dumpster fire in east lafayette who has to compete with the big boys. Avoid that job at all costs.

Reaction Score
This is why you make the change now instead of waiting until Jan 1. Cincinnati is about to pluck a choice coach out of the available pool. That pool will continue to get shallower toward Jan 1. By that time, your choice is limited to those that were passed over by other hiring schools. You end up with less choices. That doesn't necessarily mean you get a lesser quality coach, but it does increase the odds against you making a successful hire.

If WE (meaning Benedict with support from internal powers-that-be) don't have a candidate targeted, this ain't happening. A pool isn't necessary. It is a straight line.

Reaction Score
Luca Brasi presided over the resignation contract signing party.

Did you know Luca Brasi (the 6-6 actor Something Montana) was an actual member/muscle of the Colombo crime family when Francis Ford Coppola gave him the acting job on the Godfather?

Reaction Score
Zero chance Fleck would waste 5 years at an AAC school, he could end up at Oregon or even ND

I believe that story came from this quote...

At Cincinnati, sources tell us two prominent names in the upcoming search are expected to be PJ Fleck and Troy head coach Neal Brown. Fleck is a candidate at Oregon; but should he not be the choice, we are told Cincinnati could come calling and offers a place Fleck believes he could go 13-0…and win a National Championship. Brown is very familiar with the recruiting area due to his time as offensive coordinator at Kentucky (2013-2014) and has done an excellent job as head coach at Troy the past two seasons.

Sources: Tommy Tuberville stepping down - FootballScoop

Reaction Score
ND and Oregon are highly unlikely to hand the keys over to a MAC coach. Michigan hires Harbaugh, OSU hires Meyer, those brands are going to need to see more than a perfect season in the MAC.

Reaction Score
Scratch Brohm from list (just dropped this is Coaching Carousel thread):

Jody Demling ‏@jdemling 8m8 minutes ago
Per a source, Western Kentucky football coach Jeff Brohm has accepted the coaching position at Purdue

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 6m 6 minutes ago
SOURCE: #WKU coach Jeff Brohm has accepted the #Purdue head coaching job. Am told Boilers really stepped up financially.

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs 6 mins ago
Good hire for Purdue. Brohm was groomed by Petrino as player and coach. I mean that in best possible way.

Jody Demling ‏@jdemling 5 mins ago
Am told the final decision from Jeff Brohm came after Purdue "really went in" financially. Interviewed w/Baylor and Cincinnati had talked $$

Reaction Score
If he can turn Purdue around he will be gone from there in no time.....Winning there is like trying to sail the titanic after it hit 2 ice bergs.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Does anyone think Cincy really has a short at PJ Fleck at this point? How is that at all a step up for him? Might as well just stay at Western Michigan and ask for more $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom