True Detective | Page 5 | The Boneyard

True Detective

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So I just saw a website mock-casting season 2 and there's a picture of Laurence Fishburne and Samuel L Jackson, which I imagine are the questioning cops in the future. Yes, yes, yes, please.
Wait a minute. I thought those two where the same guy????? :rolleyes:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With writing that solid, they do not need big names.

Reaction Score
I had bypass surgery too. 4 grafts. But Errol had to rip the hatchet out. Just sayin'

I thought it might have stuck in his breast bone, like an ax in a tree. It was vertical, so it would likely have hit bone somewhere.

Some interesting post-finale interviews ...

Pizzolato

Fukunaga

Errol

Reaction Score
Wasn't blown away by the finale, they had some details in previous episodes that weren't explained but I still enjoyed it, the showdown at Errol's house was riveting. I know it's just a show but I was happy Rust and Marty lived and are great friends. Can't wait for the second season, whoever is chosen it's going to be well known actors.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just watched 4 or 5 episodes, not sure exactly how many. I liked it with one exception. The cover up was a huge component of the plot. It was why Kohnes got fired, why Marty got suspicious of him, and why both of their lives were ruined for 10 years. And then it just goes away, without explanation. And why would anyone cover up that freak show? Why not just kill him if you are the Tuttles? The Reverend was killed, they couldn't kill that guy. Why would someone like the Tuttles or the biker gang have anything to do with a guy as crazy and useless as the scar face guy?

It was still very good, and I want another one. I would prefer they do an entirely new show, set somewhere else. Detroit or Minnesota or Washington or the desert or someplace where the scenery is striking. Louisiana was definitely at least a supporting actor in that show.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I didn't have a huge problem with the ending, but I felt that a show that was so smart through the first 7 episodes kind of copped out with an ending that had a 20 minute chase scene.

Reaction Score
The 20 minute chase scene was awesome. Looks like it was an abandoned civil war building. My question is how did the police show up? They made a point to show that their cell phones didn't work and the house phone wasn't either. If they were following them it seems awful convenient to not show up until all the action had ended.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Very good acting, very well written...about as good as television gets. Loved Louisiana sets. Gave the exterior shots great depth and emotion.

}!{
Agree, there may be or have been better stuff out there, but I haven't seen it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, that's a bucket full of quirky.

Reaction Score
Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, that's a bucket full of quirky.

In the past two years, I have gained a new appreciation for McConaughey. I thought he was exceptional in this show and he was pretty good in Interstellar as well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In the past two years, I have gained a new appreciation for McConaughey. I thought he was exceptional in this show and he was pretty good in Interstellar as well.
He did a nice job in Mud and Dallas Buyers Club. Even if you go way back he was pretty good in A Time To Kill.

Reaction Score
He did a nice job in Mud and Dallas Buyers Club. Even if you go way back he was pretty good in A Time To Kill.

Funny you should mention that. That was the last John Grisham book that I liked, that didn't read like a airport novel. It was also the last time I liked what he did up until this current run where he reinvented himself as an actor who can play more than one character.

I hate when good actors get into that rut.

Denzel always plays the same guy. And Liam is basically the white Denzel now.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Funny you should mention that. That was the last John Grisham book that I liked, that didn't read like a airport novel. It was also the last time I liked what he did up until this current run where he reinvented himself as an actor who can play more than one character.

I hate when good actors get into that rut.

Denzel always plays the same guy. And Liam is basically the white Denzel now.
Yea kinda, now that I think about it. Although I did think Denzil's character in Flight was a bit different. Not a tough good guy or a tough bad guy, more F&%#ed up guy who really didn't have control.

Liam sorta, if you think of his Taken movies. But he has also done comedies, A Million Ways to Die in the West, LEGO movie, and he's in Ted2 (although I don't know what he's doing, but that's definitely a comedy).

Reaction Score
Yea kinda, now that I think about it. Although I did think Denzil's character in Flight was a bit different. Not a tough good guy or a tough bad guy, more F&%#ed up guy who really didn't have control.

Liam sorta, if you think of his Taken movies. But he has also done comedies, A Million Ways to Die in the West, LEGO movie, and he's in Ted2 (although I don't know what he's doing, but that's definitely a comedy).

They seem to be stuck playing deeply flawed degenerates with special skills. Liam did that well in Non Stop.

Reaction Score
McConaughey will never, ever top this:

Heh. Youtube is blocked at work, so I can't see this. But I know what it is anyhow...

That's what I love about high school girls - I keep getting older but they stay the same age...

Reaction Score
Heh. Youtube is blocked at work, so I can't see this. But I know what it is anyhow...

That's what I love about high school girls - I keep getting older but they stay the same age...
I love those redheads!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I just turbo watched Season 1 over the last weekend and the last two days. Surprised people thought it started slow - I was hooked immediately seeing the difference in Cohle between 95 and 2012. He really did an amazing job and Woody is 95% as good in his role. Episodes 5 and 6 were my favorites as they really tied up all the foreshadowing of the conflict and case. The final two episodes were good to complete the story in 2012, but the real story was concluded with the fight in the parking lot. The characters got a little to soft and fluffy for me - I liked the messes they were previously.

I'm not sure if I want to start season 2 or wait and turbo through that one as well. It would suck to have an equally good story that I have to wait a week to see the next episode. On the other hand I could join the discussion about it here.... Decisions decisions.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I just turbo watched Season 1 over the last weekend and the last two days. Surprised people thought it started slow - I was hooked immediately seeing the difference in Cohle between 95 and 2012. He really did an amazing job and Woody is 95% as good in his role. Episodes 5 and 6 were my favorites as they really tied up all the foreshadowing of the conflict and case. The final two episodes were good to complete the story in 2012, but the real story was concluded with the fight in the parking lot. The characters got a little to soft and fluffy for me - I liked the messes they were previously.

I'm not sure if I want to start season 2 or wait and turbo through that one as well. It would suck to have an equally good story that I have to wait a week to see the next episode. On the other hand I could join the discussion about it here.... Decisions decisions.

I was hooked right from the start on Season 1. I turbo watched as well. In addition to the phenomenal characters, the setting of the show was fantastic. Let's not forget Alexandra Daddario's either.

FWIW, I caught the first two episodes of the second series, and I'm less than impressed. Characters aren't engaging. Setting is bland. And story is sort of forced.

Season 2 is a 'hollywood-ized' true detective. Whereas Season 1 is more akin to a well crafted novel.

jmo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom