Trouble with the Curve | The Boneyard

Trouble with the Curve

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A formula flick with a monster cast about a daughter reconciling with her aging father set around baseball should have been a layup. How the hell did they screw this movie up so badly?

That cast should have been able to improv a better movie in 2 hours than what ended up on the screen.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It wasn't a bad movie. I kind of liked it. JT always seems to surprise me.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm about a half hour into it. So far Clint Eastwood is doing a parody of himself by mixing past performances (Million Dollar Baby and Grand Turino come to mind the most). He's merely a name now. He certainly doesn't have much range anymore outside the angy old crumudgen with a heart of gold.

I already have my thoughts on how Gentry turns out. He looks like Jeremy Brown and has the baseball body of a high schooler that only Billy Beane would love (See: Moneyball; Lewis, Michael). Also, baseball teams typically go for best available in the draft. So many early rounders fizzle that to draft for need doesn't make much sense. For every Zack Greinke, there is an Adam Loewen...if not more.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm about a half hour into it. So far Clint Eastwood is doing a parody of himself by mixing past performances (Million Dollar Baby and Grand Turino come to mind the most). He's merely a name now. He certainly doesn't have much range anymore outside the angy old crumudgen with a heart of gold.
Well put.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Eastwood and Goodman were fine, nothing special either way. Timberlake, who is usually good, was off. This is the second straight movie I have seen where Amy Adams chewed the scenery. She over acted in the Master and she over acted in this movie.

The acting wasn't the problem though. So much of this movie was hokey and contrived. I wasn't expecting an Oscar caliber movie, but I don't get a lot of what they did. The last 20 minutes were ridiculous. Peanut boy should have had a bigger role earlier. Lillard is a decent character actor, but the character was not credible as an exec. The "betrayal" of Timberlake was contrived. Most importantly, the big cathartic scene used an event that was so serious that it made the rest of the movie irrelevant. Or you feel that the movie jumps the shark in that scene.

This movie would have been a B+ if the director just got out of the way. Instead, it was s C+ at best.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Eastwood and Goodman were fine, nothing special either way. Timberlake, who is usually good, was off. This is the second straight movie I have seen where Amy Adams chewed the scenery. She over acted in the Master and she over acted in this movie.

The acting wasn't the problem though. So much of this movie was hokey and contrived. I wasn't expecting an Oscar caliber movie, but I don't get a lot of what they did. The last 20 minutes were ridiculous. Peanut boy should have had a bigger role earlier. Lillard is a decent character actor, but the character was not credible as an exec. The "betrayal" of Timberlake was contrived. Most importantly, the big cathartic scene used an event that was so serious that it made the rest of the movie irrelevant. Or you feel that the movie jumps the shark in that scene.

This movie would have been a B+ if the director just got out of the way. Instead, it was s C+ at best.

How about throwing up a Spoiler Alert? It's not like you just review Summer Catch or Fever Pitch!!!

Reaction Score
It seemed like a made for tv movie, incredibly hokey.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I watched the rest of it over the weekend. While it's always a pleasure to watch Amy Adams, anyone who is even remotely familiar with Baseball could nitpick the film all day long (See below). Obviously baseball is only used as a backdrop for the actual plot, ergo it's as much a sports movie as School Ties was.

Possible Spoiler Alerts to follow (All having to do with baseball, not the plot)!!!

1. As I said last week, rarely do MLB teams draft based on need, unlike basketball and football. 99% of baseball draftees, even high picks, spend a couple two tree years in the minors before they are called up. Needs are constantly evolving.
2. Gentry is not even remotely close to a 5-tool player, as he is referred by Matthew Lilliard's character. I realize this movie is not marketed to the sports fanatic, but they should still have consistency in a sport-specific terms' context. The audience is not able to see even one scene of Genty using his doughy arm, fielding ability, or base running.
2a. Gentry is referred to as the next Pujols. Pujols plays 1b currently, but he has played, and can in a pinch, Left Field and 3rd.
3. On draft day, they refer to drafting Gentry as "signing" him. As in all sports, a player is not automatically signed upon getting drafted. It just give the team exclusive rights to sign within the next 365 days. Also, Gus would not have had to call in.
4. Attitude alone would prompt a team to force Gentry to the minors to learn some humility (See: Bull Durham).
5. Given 4) He would not be in Atlanta or available to hit vs "Peanut Boy." And if he was:
6. He'd more likely be wearing #72 as opposed to #27.
7. If "Peanut Boy" was as good as he is portrayed to Mickey (i.e. Major League ready), he would be on a high school team.
8. Umpires do not allow taunting by the opposing high school team, as sportsmanship is stressed as much as winning and losing.
9. Intentional walk means the catcher stands up and gives a target over the opposite batter's box, to minimize the possibility of grooving a meatball right down Boardway.
10. Finally, and this is the most subjective of my thoughts on this list...Even if the FO didn't trust Gus, I would think they use the 2nd pick on more of a sure thing. Also, Pete wouldn't be running into the "War" room in the last two minutes warning against it. They would have at least 3 players lined up for weeks. Gentry, one in case Boston picked Gentry, and a third just in case Gentry really didn't look good to the Braves' other scout, tailing Gus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom