Transfers: Boykins and Edwards | The Boneyard

Transfers: Boykins and Edwards

Reaction Score
On the plus side, Sadie Edwards is second in scoring for USC, though her team has a big losing streak.

On the other side, Dejanae Boykins has not played since the game before the Maryland game. Does anyone know what's happened to her? I don't see any mention of an injury, or a suspension. She's a former top high school recruit playing for a mediocre Big 10 team. So she should be getting lots of playing time.

What's up? Anyone know?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I was looking as well and prior to the MD game she had been Ave 18 min per however her stats were diminishing or trending down over the past few games (i.e. Playing worse) so I wonder if something is up. I am slightly worried if she can handle the D1 rigors. The Sadie transfer has always perplexed me as she's a Northeast kid going west. She has been steadily improving her stats despite USCs free fall in PAC12 play.

Reaction Score
I was looking as well and prior to the MD game she had been Ave 18 min per however her stats were diminishing or trending down over the past few games (i.e. Playing worse) so I wonder if something is up. I am slightly worried if she can handle the D1 rigors. The Sadie transfer has always perplexed me as she's a Northeast kid going west. She has been steadily improving her stats despite USCs free fall in PAC12 play.

You'd think that there would be some notice somewhere to explain why a kid, as you point out, who is averaging 18 minutes per game suddenly doesn't get into a game. If she's been suspended, then that should be news. If she's injured, that, too, would normally be made public. But I see nothing on Penn State's website. Nothing from google reveals any press reports. Of course, we hope for the best. But she did disappear from UConn under unusual circumstances.

Edwards has had an up and down season. She was high scorer on a number of occasions, especially in big games. But then she's a no-show in other games. Odd.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There are clues, and maybe breadcrumbs as to the reason for her transfer. At the NC parade in Hartford just before Sadie's freshman year, but after she committed, Geno was caught on camera saying she was "lazy". If that sort of effort transferred to college, it's no surprise that she was getting little-to-no playing time in the first half of the year. PT is earned in practice and I suspect that Sadie was not cutting it, at least from Geno's perspective.

She seems like she's found a great home at USC and she's the 2nd leading scorer on the team (11.6 PPG). She's also started in 9 of the 16 games they've played. Her shooting %'s are solid for a guard and she's averaging almost 25 MPG.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Boykin has not played since the PSU/Purdue game on Jan 7. That was the last game before the start of the spring semester at PSU on Jan 9. There were indications that Boykin had some academic issues at UConn. While it is purely speculative, I have to wonder if similar issues became apparent at PSU after the fall semester.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Playing for USC, west coast, and being a better player will never be what happens to Edwards, as long as the current coach is at USC. The current coach has a 1-7 current Pac 12 conference record. This is off a 7-12 record last season and a 7-13 Pac 12 record the year before(records include Pac 12 tournament games). I have heard enough from former players of hers that her practices arent organized, her plays/sets arent much. She expects ball pressure and turnovers to create points. The coach has been able to recruit top talent, although from what I hear her top recruit for 2017, might not make it as she has a very low GPA. She has got nice transfers in Keneisha Horn, for 1 year, Temi Fegemble, for 1 year, and Sadie Edwards for 3 years. She has also lost top talent in McKenzie Calvert, Amy Okonkwo and a pg Cheyenne Butler, also left after 2 games. She forced a player to give up basketball and has 3 players suspended over her 3.5 years of tenure. Nice weather, nice campus, real nice arena, but how much better do you get, and if you dont make the Dance do you get noticed?

Reaction Score
Playing for USC, west coast, and being a better player will never be what happens to Edwards, as long as the current coach is at USC. The current coach has a 1-7 current Pac 12 conference record. This is off a 7-12 record last season and a 7-13 Pac 12 record the year before(records include Pac 12 tournament games). I have heard enough from former players of hers that her practices arent organized, her plays/sets arent much. She expects ball pressure and turnovers to create points. The coach has been able to recruit top talent, although from what I hear her top recruit for 2017, might not make it as she has a very low GPA. She has got nice transfers in Keneisha Horn, for 1 year, Temi Fegemble, for 1 year, and Sadie Edwards for 3 years. She has also lost top talent in McKenzie Calvert, Amy Okonkwo and a pg Cheyenne Butler, also left after 2 games. She forced a player to give up basketball and has 3 players suspended over her 3.5 years of tenure. Nice weather, nice campus, real nice arena, but how much better do you get, and if you dont make the Dance do you get noticed?

Mckenzie Calvert is a headcase, her Folks like to run the show and she like the other Transfer Kansas took in Washington are not team players and often take shots that hurt the team, that's why there pretty bad. I think USC has a chance to be good with Littleton coming in, not sure where she'll be used but she will put up big numbers, I also think they haven't been getting the type of talent other pac teams have, but I would say recruiting wise they are heading in the right direction.

Reaction Score
You have to maintain a certain GPA in order to play. It's possible she's could be struggling.

Reaction Score
Boykin has not played since the PSU/Purdue game on Jan 7. That was the last game before the start of the spring semester at PSU on Jan 9. There were indications that Boykin had some academic issues at UConn. While it is purely speculative, I have to wonder if similar issues became apparent at PSU after the fall semester.

Uh-oh. We'll hope that this isn't the reason. Hoping for the best. But interesting observation.

Of course, we all are rooting for these young ladies to do well, wherever they go after UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Boykin.jpg

I am speculating that D'Jane has an injury of some kind.
This is a picture from PSU last home game 1/16/18. I believe D'Janae is the one in sweats and running sneakers. Academic Issues tend to get you separate from the team (rightfully so) until you can handle your class room business adequately. Hope all is OK.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
There are clues, and maybe breadcrumbs as to the reason for her transfer. At the NC parade in Hartford just before Sadie's freshman year, but after she committed, Geno was caught on camera saying she was "lazy". If that sort of effort transferred to college, it's no surprise that she was getting little-to-no playing time in the first half of the year.

What throws me is why Geno recruits a player he regards as lazy. That really doesn't compute. Can anyone shed some light on that?

Reaction Score
Besides rehabbing, De'Janae was having academic difficulties at UConn. Also, I believe she was homesick.

Reaction Score
Besides rehabbing, De'Janae was having academic difficulties at UConn. Also, I believe she was homesick.
Boykin could not have transferred if she was not academically eligible.
She was not eligible to play until AFTER the Fall semester was completed so I doubt she would have been able to play any games if eligibility was an issue.
So she completed one semester at UConn and two at Penn State and whatever summer classes she took.

I strongly doubt there is any academic eligibility issues ..... so please let no one speculate, it is just not appropriate.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What throws me is why Geno recruits a player he regards as lazy. That really doesn't compute. Can anyone shed some light on that?
I think it was a very confusing busy time (2012 Olympics) for UCONN and Geno. That a player was “lazy” is something I believe Geno learned well after the UCONN offer was extended and accepted.
Urban legend has it that UCONN deliberately chose to have a 1 person class (Saniya) in 2013. The reality is that several prominent players in the class said no to UCONN including DD, Taya Reimer, Linnae Harper, Stephanie Mavunga, & Erica McCall. This article talks about some of the 2013 near misses good perspective for UCONN targets in both 2013 & 2014.
http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20120519/uconn-womens-basketball-recruiting-misses-hardly-a-surprise

Reaction Score
View attachment 18802

I am speculating that D'Jane has an injury of some kind.
This is a picture from PSU last home game 1/16/18. I believe D'Janae is the one in sweats and running sneakers. Academic Issues tend to get you separate from the team (rightfully so) until you can handle your class room business adequately. Hope all is OK.

I'm with you, injury. In the write up for PSUs next game, [link]: " Penn State also has been bolstered in Big Ten play by the addition of UConn transfer De’Janae Boykin. The 6-2 redshirt freshman is averaging 4.7 points and 4.8 rebounds despite battling an ankle injury."

I know it's somewhat circumstantial, but it's current and the best I could find in a pinch. In a Ewingesque manner, that Pat, I hope De’Janae makes it to the F4, and then we kick her .... :cool:

Reaction Score
Regarding Geno's lazy comment: I imagine he finds faults in virtually every recruit. Especially work habits! But he (and his staff) choose those they believe they can "coach up " So my supposition is one of the assistants felt strongly about her and Geno felt that she would need to step up her effort considerably. Not that unusual. After all,look at the "duds" he has now! (And I think the team should gift him some Milk Duds! )

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Regarding Geno's lazy comment: I imagine he finds faults in virtually every recruit. Especially work habits! But he (and his staff) choose those they believe they can "coach up " So my supposition is one of the assistants felt strongly about her and Geno felt that she would need to step up her effort considerably. Not that unusual. After all,look at the "duds" he has now! (And I think the team should gift him some Milk Duds! )
The destructive part of Geno's comment was that it was said about 1 player ( Sadie) to another other player (KML) & the two players would eventually become teammates.
BTW Bria Hartley was also present but Bria was not going to be Sadie's teammate. If Geno has made that comment to Shea, Marisa, or CD there would be no issue and more consistent with the scenario you are describing-basically a disagreement among the staff=Not that unusual.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno has said many, many times that freshmen are inherently lazy. Saying any specific freshman is lazy is merely Geno repeating himself.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Mckenzie Calvert is a headcase, her Folks like to run the show and she like the other Transfer Kansas took in Washington are not team players and often take shots that hurt the team, that's why there pretty bad.

I hope there arent any Kansas WCBB fans lurking on this site..... if they are.... I wonder if they will go snitching back to the Kansas WCBB forum. Gosh knows if someone said anything negative about a UCONN player on Volnation, Wyoming Cowgirl Forum, the Eastern Mennonite Forum et al .... someone would be snitching and reporting back here within 24 hours or so :rolleyes: :cool: :oops:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I think it was a very confusing busy time (2012 Olympics) for UCONN and Geno. That a player was “lazy” is something I believe Geno learned well after the UCONN offer was extended and accepted.
Urban legend has it that UCONN deliberately chose to have a 1 person class (Saniya) in 2013. The reality is that several prominent players in the class said no to UCONN including DD, Taya Reimer, Linnae Harper, Stephanie Mavunga, & Erica McCall. This article talks about some of the 2013 near misses good perspective for UCONN targets in both 2013 & 2014.
http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20120519/uconn-womens-basketball-recruiting-misses-hardly-a-surprise

Thanks for the link, Coco. Very interesting stuff.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Geno's statement something like, "She's not going to come here - she's lazy."? (During the victory parade before Sadie's freshman year, or maybe before her HS senior year?)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That any player, at any academic institution, is having troubles is something I wish I did not know. I also wish people would stop talking about it like they actually do know.
I agree, I dont like that this thread was even started... I think its a passive swipe, kids are gone so let move on and cheer for Chong to finish up strong

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom