Transfer season | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Transfer season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL! And that kids, is why you don't go to a no name school in the swamps to play for a coach that was run out of town previously.

There aren't swamps in Starkville. Ben Howland has a good track record of coaching and developing guards he's just a hard ass (not Calhoun hard) which some players don't like

Reaction Score
Lee would be a good get even though it would only be for one year.

“Marcus Lee informed us today that he is pulling his name out of the draft but has decided he is going to transfer to a school out west to be closer to his family,”

Reaction Score
“Marcus Lee informed us today that he is pulling his name out of the draft but has decided he is going to transfer to a school out west to be closer to his family,”
Hope they're moving.

Reaction Score

Early word seems to be Gonzaga in the lead for the grad transfer

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I don't get how there always seems to be a clear "favorite" landing spot for these guys just minutes after they announce, and it usually turns out right. Must mean coaches are constantly in contact with other coaches' players, which is something I can agree could use some fixing. It turns the college game into a sort of free agency, and yes I am aware that we have benefitted immensely from these transfers in the last few years, just my thoughts.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I don't get how there always seems to be a clear "favorite" landing spot for these guys just minutes after they announce, and it usually turns out right. Must mean coaches are constantly in contact with other coaches' players, which is something I can agree could use some fixing. It turns the college game into a sort of free agency, and yes I am aware that we have benefitted immensely from these transfers in the last few years, just my thoughts.
I wonder if there is an informal policy of not being strict with the rules in cases like this where a graduated student has the right to go where he pleases, pretty much. Would he be considered a "free agent" after graduating?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I wonder if there is an informal policy of not being strict with the rules in cases like this where a graduated student has the right to go where he pleases, pretty much. Would he be considered a "free agent" after graduating?
I'd say after he graduates he's free to do as he pleases, but it seems like almost every single grad transfer has been in heavy contact with multiple coaches well before the end of the year or season, or else they wouldn't know whether to transfer or not (to see if there's interest in his game elsewhere).

Reaction Score
I'd say after he graduates he's free to do as he pleases, but it seems like almost every single grad transfer has been in heavy contact with multiple coaches well before the end of the year or season, or else they wouldn't know whether to transfer or not (to see if there's interest in his game elsewhere).
It absolutely exists. Shonn Miller's Cornell coach was well aware that Shonn would be a grad transfer for his final season and said something along the lines of he'd block any team from getting Shonn if they tried to contact/recruit him during his final season at Cornell.

EDIT: "As early as last summer, when Cornell coach Bill Courtney would see his friends from the UConn coaching staff out on the recruiting trail, they’d usually greet him the same way.

“We know your boy Shonn is (going to be) in his fifth year,” they’d tell Courtney. “We want him.”

While Shonn Miller just committed to UConn a couple of weeks ago, the Huskies have wanted him for quite a while. So did a lot of other top programs. Of course, first things first: there was the pesky impediment of Miller playing his senior season for the Big Red this past winter. Courtney explicitly told all schools it was hands off the 6-foot-7 forward until Cornell’s season was over.

“If they talked to him during the season,” Courtney said, “they were out.”

Shonn Miller was wanted, and needed, at UConn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It absolutely exists. Shonn Miller's Cornell coach was well aware that Shonn would be a grad transfer for his final season and said something along the lines of he'd block any team from getting Shonn if they tried to contact/recruit him during his final season at Cornell.
That's a very different situation due to Ivy League eligibility rules.

Reaction Score
That's a very different situation due to Ivy League eligibility rules.
True, but just the principle of coaches trying to swoop in and recruit a player as a virtual free agent. Just a bit more shady when it's not known at all if a player will transfer or not and the coaches are in contact - like we are seemingly seeing in Lee and Mathews.

BUConn10

Reaction Score

EDIT: "As early as last summer, when Cornell coach Bill Courtney would see his friends from the UConn coaching staff out on the recruiting trail, they’d usually greet him the same way.

“We know your boy Shonn is (going to be) in his fifth year,” they’d tell Courtney. “We want him.”

While Shonn Miller just committed to UConn a couple of weeks ago, the Huskies have wanted him for quite a while. So did a lot of other top programs. Of course, first things first: there was the pesky impediment of Miller playing his senior season for the Big Red this past winter. Courtney explicitly told all schools it was hands off the 6-foot-7 forward until Cornell’s season was over.

“If they talked to him during the season,” Courtney said, “they were out.”

Shonn Miller was wanted, and needed, at UConn
Good example. I can't blame the coach for being upset or strict about it. It can become a real distraction when a talented player has his mind elsewhere, especially for mid-major who may not be used to getting the most talented players, and when they do they want to go for greener pastures.

Reaction Score
Jordan Mathews would be an enormous get. Seems unlikely he'd want to come all the way over here but he'd be the perfect Gibbs replacement.

Reaction Score
Jordan Mathews would be an enormous get. Seems unlikely he'd want to come all the way over here but he'd be the perfect Gibbs replacement.
Mathews is a high character, very very intelligent sniper that will be a great addition for someone. At Gonzaga Few will promise him the 3 guard lineup. Perkins, NWG and Mathews. This will put Silas Melson in a tough spot. Melson could transfer if Mathews comes in. At UConn it could also work with JA, Purvis and Mathews.

He could also wind up at USC with his brother. There is some speculation because his brother didn't end up at Cal it made it easy for him to bolt.

Reaction Score
Rumors swirling that Malik Newman might choose Western Kentucky. WKU is also reportedly in the lead for 5* 2017 center Mitchell Robinson.

Rick Stansburry is the new coach at WKU and recruited/coached Newman's dad at Miss St

Reaction Score
Which of the people discussed above have to sit out a year if they transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom