Transfer season | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Transfer season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some updates from the ESPN Twitter feed. Kasongo seems to enjoy the process.....

Jeff BorzelloESPN Staff Writer
borzello_jeff_m.jpg

Memphis grad transfer Avery Woodson tells ESPN he just committed to Butler. Immediately eligible. 9.6 PPG.

Jeff Goodman@GoodmanESPN

UNLV grad transfer Ben Carter told ESPN he will schedule visits to Arizona, Arizona State, Michigan State, NC State and Miami.

Jeff Goodman@GoodmanESPN

Duquesne transfer L.G. Gill told ESPN he will meet w/ Texas today, ECU tom, Maryland & Iowa state Wed. Official visit to Marquette on 29th.

Jeff Goodman@GoodmanESPN

Tennessee transfer Ray Kasongo told ESPN Purdue, Washington state, Colorado, USC, UNLV, California & San Diego State have all shown interest

Robert Morris grad transfer Rodney Pryor has committed to Georgetown, source tells ESPN. Immediately eligible. The 6-foot-5 wing averaged 18.0 points and 8.0 rebounds last season.

Reaction Score
Here is a couple interesting ones...

borzello_jeff_m.jpg

Columbia grad transfer Grant Mullins told ESPN he visited Syracuse this past weekend and California today. 13.3 PPG, 43.9% 3PT.

borzello_jeff_m.jpg

Kansas coach Bill Self met with Duke transfer Derryck Thornton Jr. in Durham today, source told ESPN.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

IIRC Coach KO was recruiting Gant pretty hard until late in his recruitment. He has not been stellar at Mizzu but with a redshirt year, he could likely be a good player. However, he has overlapping skill and size characteristics with committed or current Huskies (Larrier, Jackson, Durham).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So he's a...

Athletic/Slashing wing
Knockdown Three Point Shooter
Skilled Big Man

Sign me up! :cool:

Reaction Score
IIRC Coach KO was recruiting Gant pretty hard until late in his recruitment. He has not been stellar at Mizzu but with a redshirt year, he could likely be a good player. However, he has overlapping skill and size characteristics with committed or current Huskies (Larrier, Jackson, Durham).
I think we started looking at him when he was teammates with Ahmed hill (I think that was his name), and then got more interested when hill (?) Got less interested

Reaction Score

Transfer #5 out of old Mizzou, joining Montaque Gill-Caesar, Namon Wright, D’Angelo Allen and Tramaine Isabell in leaving Columbia. Funny thing, when Moo went to the SEC they thought they would dominate in basketball. Didn't work out that way though.

Reaction Score
Transfer #5 out of old Mizzou, joining Montaque Gill-Caesar, Namon Wright, D’Angelo Allen and Tramaine Isabell in leaving Columbia. Funny thing, when Moo went to the SEC they thought they would dominate in basketball. Didn't work out that way though.
Has lot to do because they switched coaches and the new coach can't keep his players, they just have to hire a new coach and they should get back to a tournament team.

Reaction Score
Has lot to do because they switched coaches and the new coach can't keep his players, they just have to hire a new coach and they should get back to a tournament team.

No, they are a mess and will continue to be a mess for quite a long time. Haith left right before the NCAA hammer came down.

Reaction Score
It doesn't seem that UConn is going the transfer route this season. With that said, and seeing the results of last season, I'm no longer a big fan of taking these grad transfers.

I'm all for adding one if the team has a bunch of players that have played for a while and are poised for a deep run in the tournament, and that one player is what might put them over the top.

I'd much rather see a scholarship be given to a incoming freshman who can develop over the next season or two and will be around for a while. I think team chemistry is underrated. We've seen UConn teams that didn't have the most talented players win national championships and a lot had to do with having a few winning time ready players and a solid set of role players who knew how to play at a high level on both ends of the floor.

Each time you add a grad transfer or two, you're pretty much starting over at their positions if they are starters, instead of having a steady stream of underclassmen who have gotten minutes the prior year or two who are familiar with the system and teammates and ready to contribute in bigger ways.

Examples are Kemba, Bazz and Boatright, all players who got better as their freshmen seasons went on, and were ready to take on bigger roles their sophomore, junior and in some cases their senior seasons.

Do others here feel similarly as I do, or am I in the minority?

Reaction Score

Others feel the way you do and you are in the minority. There have been a handful of threads about people suggesting that Miller and Gibbs were bad for chemistry.

Reaction Score
Others feel the way you do and you are in the minority. There have been a handful of threads about people suggesting that Miller and Gibbs were bad for chemistry.
That was not my point. If Miller and Gibbs were not one year players and returning for another season, it would give them another year to improve their game as well as the team chemistry. With that said, I think Miller was a nice addition and blended in very well, while IMO Gibbs was not a great fit for what the team needed most at the guard position. Now that they're gone, the team needs to integrate two new starters instead of having two at those positions returning for another year.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
@DogMania, I understand your point, but I don't think you can just walk away from this type of player, even bringing in more than one. You said yourself that Miller was a good addition, which to me seems to indicate it can work chemistry wise, if it's the right player.

I don't think you can draw black and white conclusions based on last year at all. Last year was a season of many barely missed opportunities, and ultimately the whole team showed weaknesses in almost equal measure.

Reaction Score
That was not my point. If Miller and Gibbs were not one year players and returning for another season, it would give them another year to improve their game as well as the team chemistry. With that said, I think Miller was a nice addition and blended in very well, while IMO Gibbs was not a great fit for what the team needed most at the guard position. Now that they're gone, the team needs to integrate two new starters instead of having two at those positions returning for another year.

What does next year's chemistry have to do with your original premise?

You said that it doesn't look like we're going to add transfers, and that you're okay with this given how last season went.

Last season without Miller and Gibbs is maybe not even an NIT season. I'm not sure things would be better in the future simply by taking some 3 or 2 star freshmen in place of them for the sake of them being better buds next year and later.

This hypothetical future chemistry isn't worth much if we have a prolonged slump of no UConn-caliber years.

Reaction Score
It doesn't seem that UConn is going the transfer route this season. With that said, and seeing the results of last season, I'm no longer a big fan of taking these grad transfers.

I'm all for adding one if the team has a bunch of players that have played for a while and are poised for a deep run in the tournament, and that one player is what might put them over the top.

I'd much rather see a scholarship be given to a incoming freshman who can develop over the next season or two and will be around for a while. I think team chemistry is underrated. We've seen UConn teams that didn't have the most talented players win national championships and a lot had to do with having a few winning time ready players and a solid set of role players who knew how to play at a high level on both ends of the floor.

Each time you add a grad transfer or two, you're pretty much starting over at their positions if they are starters, instead of having a steady stream of underclassmen who have gotten minutes the prior year or two who are familiar with the system and teammates and ready to contribute in bigger ways.

Examples are Kemba, Bazz and Boatright, all players who got better as their freshmen seasons went on, and were ready to take on bigger roles their sophomore, junior and in some cases their senior seasons.

I think everyone overrated Gibbs in a big way.

I haven't hated on Gibbs all year and I am not going to start now.

He is what he is, 3 point spot up shooter, never thought we were getting much else, I am not sure why everyone else thought we were.

Miller had a really nice season for us and made a smooth transition from Ivy League play to AAC.

Bottomline is that we currently have 3 open scholarships for this upcoming year, hopefully we can try to fill them with some talent that will help us win this year. Don't let Gibbs sour your taste in all grad transfer, it's silly, this venom for Gibbs I don't get it, he played hard everyday, he seemed to be a good teammate, didn't cause any off the court issues, like I said before it seems like everyone overrated him.

Reaction Score
I am really not understanding this Gibbs and Miller were bad for team chemistry sentiment floating around here. They were added to a team that made that NIT the year before and lost their best player, why are folks acting like DHam and Purvis accomplished anything as scoring leaders the year before? I'd take them again on our squad all day everyday, Gibbs was a bit disappointing compared to expectations but he still contributed to winning games and Miller exceeded every fan's expectations. A couple of more shots for him in close losses instead of DHam bricks and they would have put themselves in a better position to win an extra game or two in the tourney. If a grad transfer option is out there to be added at the 4 so we're not pinning our hopes on Facey turning into a reliable presence or another guard to be added to depth I would be all for it. If its freshmen additions I would be OK with that also, either way the team needs at least one or two players assuming Purvis and Brimah are back.

Reaction Score
I agree. Gibbs and Miller were good for UCONN. 4 players ave. 12+ points last year. Gibbs and Miller were two of them. Without them we would not have made the NCAA's. Gibbs had 32 points in the tour., 20 against Kansas and kept us relatively close. He did his part. Miller had a bad tour., total of 8 points. However going into the tour. he was our only low post scoring optioned. If we had the same opportunity to bring in two players like them again, you would have my vote to bring them in.

Reaction Score
Romello White asking for a release from Georgia Tech. 4* PF our of Georgia. Get Ricky down there!
Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein
2016 PF Romello White has requested his release from his LOI at Georgia Tech, his mother told @CBSSports. Top-100 player in class.

Hope we can land him or Jackson for a little more front court insurance.

Reaction Score
He is what he is, 3 point spot up shooter, never thought we were getting much else, I am not sure why everyone else thought we were.
Probably because he was an all conference player at Seton Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom