Traci Carter (Committed to Marquette) | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Traci Carter (Committed to Marquette)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Where in the world did you read Rakim Lubin was a 4star/top 100 recruit? 247 has him as 344th overall, ESPN ranks him as a 70 overall (3 stars). Matter of fact its very difficult to even find other D1 offers Lubin had, so to be frank, you're just plain wrong.
Wasn't Lubin ranked significantly higher the summer going in to his junior year then fell off the map entirely?

Reaction Score
We can solve it by coaching! I am confident that Ollie and staff can come up with ways to mask this "problem". Again, I don't disagree with what you are saying. I disagree that the solution was Traci Carter.

You can't mask capabilities. You are not suddenly going to make TSam a great ball handler or shooter. Or Sam Jr a speedster. They're coaches not magicians.

Reaction Score
It's not Omar at the 2 it's TSam. That's the issue here. Or it's Rodney at the 2 and a freshman at the point. Hence why a Traci Carter is so important.
So you think Carter would start at the 1 and Adams the 2? My whole point is the biggest issue next year will be scoring points! If we get no production from the 2, trust me when I say we won't even care about ball handling. We won't avg more than 45 points a game. Lets agree to disagree on Carter. I just don't see any possible scenario where Traci Carter would get extended minutes as a freshmen. My guess is he doesn't either, which is why he has been so dismissive.

Reaction Score
You can't mask capabilities. You are not suddenly going to make TSam a great ball handler or shooter. Or Sam Jr a speedster. They're coaches not magicians.
and yet we know Carter can come in and play by watching some bs tape?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Andre is taking Chief out shopping tonight if we pull the upset and Carter commits here.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Lubin ranked significantly higher the summer going in to his junior year then fell off the map entirely?

No, you are wrong. We were his first high major offer. He committed shortly after his visit. He was plan E, after Abu went to NC State and Larrier went to VCU. He was unranked in most services. Shockingly, after watching him play this year, I can understand why. Remember when some posters had him marked down for averaging 8 points. That was a riot.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So you think Carter would start at the 1 and Adams the 2? My whole point is the biggest issue next year will be scoring points! If we get no production from the 2, trust me when I say we won't even care about ball handling. We won't avg more than 45 points a game. Lets agree to disagree on Carter. I just don't see any possible scenario where Traci Carter would get extended minutes as a freshmen. My guess is he doesn't either, which is why he has been so dismissive.
PG: Adams
SG: Purvis
SF: Hamilton
PF: Facey/Enoch
C: Brimah

We need another ball handler. As @mauconnfan pointed out, Cassell and TSam aren't capable of being dependable dribblers, let alone decision-makers.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
PG: Adams
SG: Purvis
SF: Hamilton
PF: Facey/Enoch
C: Brimah

We need another ball handler. As @mauconnfan pointed out, Cassell and TSam aren't capable of being dependable dribblers, let alone decision-makers.
Cassell's shot selection hasn't been good, but he's careful with the ball. Much more so than Samuel. His assist to turnover ratio is fine. Hopefully he can make his first step quicker and get more in shape because a little more agility/speed would go a long way for him. I don't think the book is out on Cassell, but regardless I'd like a pure PG backup rather than combo guards.

Reaction Score
No, you are wrong. We were his first high major offer. He committed shortly after his visit. He was plan E, after Abu went to NC State and Larrier went to VCU. He was unranked in most services. Shockingly, after watching him play this year, I can understand why. Remember when some posters had him marked down for averaging 8 points. That was a riot.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Anyone on this board who DOESN'T think that UCONN has a BIG RECRUITING PROBLEM is either CLUELESS or just ISN' T PAYING ATTENTION.

Great we got Adams (Stud) and Enoch (Project with Good Upside Potential) but they are very local kids who we should be able to get. Yes, I totally understand that it wasn't easy getting these guys and I congratulate the staff for securing their commitments but we really should be able to get these guys as they are in our immediate area and we were coming off of a national title.

We recruited a TON of players and have gotten absolutely none of them except for the above mentioned 2 guys. don't kid yourselves, we went after a lot of really good guys and went after them hard and we COMPLETELY STRUCK OUT. Its actually really embarrassing. We went after at least 15 good to very good guys and for one reason or another have gotten none of them. This is a BIG PROBLEM if WE BELIEVE WE'RE a REAL PLAYER ON THE NATIONAL SCENE. A BIG-TIME PROGRAM just doesn't lose battles to the Marquette, VCU (they've clubbed us hard a couple of times now), PC, SJU, etc. All of the above programs (not big-time national powers) have whipped up on us recruiting wise. We really aren't recruiting on the same level as teams that we like to consider ourselves on par with: Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Carolina etc.

Keep on kidding yourselves, but what leads you to believe that next year's recruiting will be any better when we are still in the American and will be coming off of an NIT year.
Last year, all your yahoos in this board were saying how we were involved deep with a huge amount of really good players and KO was in early on them etc. etc. etc. Well we basically struck out on nearly every single one of them. Then when we needed a guy at the end / Spring (something Calhoun was GREAT at doing), we could get a marginal Top 100 guy away from Marquette that is several levels below us on the prestige scale (and has a very young coach with no NBA credentials to speak of).

I know our Conference is a problem but unfortunately its something that we simply can do nothing about at this time. My own opinion is that the staff is not real good at recruiting and there is an issue there. I know this sounds crazy with the head coaching experience on the staff but they are either just getting outworked or out recruited by these other staffs. We need a RECRUITER. Why not get someone intimately tied-up with the AAU scene? Someone like a Book Richardson on Arizona. A similar guy with a similar background who can get us into places where we have not done too well: NJ, Philly etc.

I think there is too much blind UCONN loyalty on the staff and we are only taking UCONN guys and not considering others from outside "the family".

There's a problem and they need to identify and fix it ---- QUICKLY!
I was on the fence, but all those capital letters convinced me.

Reaction Score
and yet we know Carter can come in and play by watching some bs tape?

The tape and references are better than what we have. TSam's tapes were never impressive to me.

Fact is we're not getting him anyway. So unless the staff turns out to be magicians, we're in huge trouble of being mediocre yet again and that's not good for recruiting.

Reaction Score
So Zionn, help me understand. Yet another loss without a visit, now to Marquette and you say "Houston we have a Problem", is it really bad? Is there any hope or are you feeling the issues are out of control?

Reaction Score
Cassell's shot selection hasn't been good, but he's careful with the ball. Much more so than Samuel. His assist to turnover ratio is fine. Hopefully he can make his first step quicker and get more in shape because a little more agility/speed would go a long way for him. I don't think the book is out on Cassell, but regardless I'd like a pure PG backup rather than combo guards.

Yeah I do like him with the ball but he didn't impact the space positively as in getting closer to run the offense. If it was his injury and he can be quicker coming in there's hope there.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Marquette. The school as a whole and it's fans is what got him. I'm sure the conference too

Reaction Score
If Ollie cannot recruit three star kids in the season AFTER winning a national championship, then what does the future hold? I mean realistically its over, right? the team will be worse next year, the conference situation isn't getting better, and then Hamilton and brimah leave. With no impact players coming in (Adams replaces Boat)?

If Ollie really had NBA options and decided to stay, he made a horrific mistake considering everything that's happened on and off the court. He will never be in demand like that again.

Reaction Score
So Zionn, help me understand. Yet another loss without a visit, now to Marquette and you say "Houston we have a Problem", is it really bad? Is there any hope or are you feeling the issues are out of control?

Mau - AAC is a real issue (no duh), but goes back to what Fishy has always said. All for alumni on staff, but not at the risk of not having a legit ace recruiter on staff (ie: Slice, Booker, etc). KO can't do it all. Folks should have been banging down our doors to play here. Especially true for any PG.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Mau - AAC is a real issue (no duh), but goes back to what Fishy has always said. All for alumni on staff, but not at the risk of not having a legit ace recruiter on staff (ie: Slice, Booker, etc). KO can't do it all. Folks should have been banging down our doors to play here. Especially true for any PG.
Marquette swooped in and stole this kid in about a week. We have no AAU connections on the staff - most P5 schools have these guys. But that's the tip of the iceberg.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Ollie cannot recruit three star kids in the season AFTER winning a national championship, then what does the future hold? I mean realistically its over, right? the team will be worse next year, the conference situation isn't getting better, and then Hamilton and brimah leave. With no impact players coming in (Adams replaces Boat)?

If Ollie really had NBA options and decided to stay, he made a horrific mistake considering everything that's happened on and off the court. He will never be in demand like that again.
Mack and Carter have said that the fans were a big part in their decisions. Also the president met with Carter at mu. So I think you should step it up, Since they've talked about the fans as a major factor, nothing about ollie in a negative light.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Mack and Carter have said that the fans were a big part in their decisions. Also the president met with Carter at mu. So I think you should step it up, Since they've talked about the fans as a major factor, nothing about ollie in a negative light.
Our fans trump Marquette tenfold. I hate to admit it, but Ollie can't close the deal - especially when he has to. We've seen this about a million times in the past 3 years.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Aac, aau, and the apparent noninvolvement of the university(minus the staff) seems to be the factors

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Our fans trump Marquette tenfold. I hate to admit it, but Ollie can't close the deal - especially when he has to. We've seen this about a million times in the past 3 years.
That's your take. These kids live on Twitter and that's where they're seeing this. If you saw the nonstop tweets for mack from the vcu fans, you'd think they have a bigger base than us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom