Total Compensation? | The Boneyard

Total Compensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We've all seen the $1m/year guaranteed. With all these extra threads needlessly started I may have missed what he can earn with performance incentives.

Is that out there yet? Or is it a nebulous phrase with no meaning yet?

Reaction Score
We've all seen the $1m/year guaranteed. With all these extra threads needlessly started I may have missed what he can earn with performance incentives.

I have not seen the contract terms or incentives anywhere yet...

Reaction Score

I was sort of hoping the low base salary was a tactical decision to use more money on assistants.

Reaction Score
I was sort of hoping the low base salary was a tactical decision to use more money on assistants.

It still could be depending on who Randy presented as his options for each position. I can't believe DB wouldn't have asked for RE's short list human capital costs.

Reaction Score
It still could be depending on who Randy presented as his options for each position. I can't believe DB wouldn't have asked for RE's short list human capital costs.

I didn't say it wasn't. That's why I said I was hoping.

My guess is that Benedict has told Edsall that he will reinforce success with more resources. Plus, given the way Randy left and his less than impressive record at Maryland it's not like he can go command 2 mil a year at a place that is losing money. He flat out needs us as much as we need him. He might need us more.

Reaction Score

Randy wouldn't dare think of someone else, or think big picture. He won't get anyone who will threaten his possibility of getting all the credit for the inevitable 7-win per year ceiling that we now have. 1m was because we could, because no one else wanted him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Same here but I didn't want to hijack the asst coach salary thread. They are interrelated but separate.

Until we know how much a total compensation package is for Edsall is tough to figure out and asst. coaches salary pool. For example, if 6 wins gets Edsall $500k and a bowl game gets him $500K, it's reasonable to assume he'll pull in $2m most seasons.

Reaction Score
Randy wouldn't dare think of someone else, or think big picture. He won't get anyone who will threaten his possibility of getting all the credit for the inevitable 7-win per year ceiling that we now have. 1m was because we could, because no one else wanted him.

I'm trying to maintain my positive attitude about this. I know that is really unlike me, but I'm hoping that on his second go around that he'll fine tune a few things.

To his credit, Ambrose, Moorhead, Orlando and his old Running Backs coach have done really well for themselves.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to maintain my positive attitude about this. I know that is really unlike me, but I'm hoping that on his second go around that he'll fine tune a few things.

To his credit, Ambrose, Moorhead, Orlando and his old Running Backs coach have done really well for themselves.

I can understand that, and TOTALLY appreciate it. I want so badly to be hopeful again as well...

but let's be honest, those assistants you listed were all mediocre at best under the brilliant thumb of Randy. I can't think of an assistant who left, and did a poor job, and we said "boy, Randy really made that guy look good while he was here". They all became hotshots the moment they got away from him.

I'm sure someone can think of one....but it will be one of MANY.

Again....i want to feel good about this, but i'm really having a hard time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can understand that, and TOTALLY appreciate it. I want so badly to be hopeful again as well...

but let's be honest, those assistants you listed were all mediocre at best under the brilliant thumb of Randy. I can't think of an assistant who left, and did a poor job, and we said "boy, Randy really made that guy look good while he was here". They all became hotshots the moment they got away from him.

The hope is that Edsall realizes the level of talent he had and that by giving his coordinators more free reign he can still achieve results. After his Maryland debacle he hopefully realizes process matters but results matter more (if you want to stay employed).

Reaction Score

I guess I feel good about it because we know what we're getting. We can fast forward through the honeymoon and be pretty realistic about things.

Reaction Score

It is utterly amazing that someone can use the phrase "inevitable 7-win per year cieling" on a coach who led us to two 9 win seasons and three 8 win seasons. How little self respect does one have to have for oneself to be willing to lie so publicly and obviously?

Reaction Score

It may or may not be unlike you. It all depends which of the Mods hacked Wisky's account and is impersonating him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Where is Terry Richardson now? The last I saw he had gone to Maryland when Edsall was still there, but I don't see him on the staff there now

Reaction Score
I guess I feel good about it because we know what we're getting. We can fast forward through the honeymoon and be pretty realistic about things.

Thats exactly why i feel BAD about it. He never got 10 wins in a lousy Big East here, or with Oregon-Level resources at MD. We can all just sleep through the seasons now, wake up, play in the "7-win" bowl, and watch randy get undeserved bonuses.

I hate us. We deserve what we're going to get

Reaction Score
Thats exactly why i feel BAD about it. He never got 10 wins in a lousy Big East here, or with Oregon-Level resources at MD. We can all just sleep through the seasons now, wake up, play in the "7-win" bowl, and watch randy get undeserved bonuses.

I think his methods work better in a UConn situation than a situation where he is expected to recruit talent if it's at the expense of tolerating a few prima donna 4-5 star guys.

Even if we had a guy like that he would have a hard time selling UConn. I used to believe otherwise but I have come around.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I didn't say it wasn't. That's why I said I was hoping.

My guess is that Benedict has told Edsall that he will reinforce success with more resources. Plus, given the way Randy left and his less than impressive record at Maryland it's not like he can go command 2 mil a year at a place that is losing money. He flat out needs us as much as we need him. He might need us more.
I believe he absolutely needs us more.

Collateral damage of the past six years is that the successful past RE could point to (what he did here) was becoming less than a faint memory. If this continued, only a few of us would be in a position to say " I remember when he did a very good job as a HC".

Reaction Score

Which is what exactly? An increase in average wins per year from 4.0 (the last six years) to 8.25 (the last four years under Edsall)? Oh woe is us -- what if the program only improves by 106% and then we get stuck at that level? How painful would that be?

This wasn't my choice for some real reasons: I worry about whether Edsall can effect a turnaround as successfully as a build from scratch, I worry if it will be harder for him to relate to players in the same way as he ages, and I worry if the negativity from the fanbase will hurt the program.

But do worry that he wasn't good enough the first time is just idiotic. If you think that's a debatable opinion, find the non-UConn fan -- the college football professional -- who thinks what he did here the first time sucked (or was even just average). Go ahead and share some research.

Or just keep whining.

Reaction Score
I think his methods work better in a UConn situation than a situation where he is expected to recruit talent if it's at the expense of tolerating a few prima donna 4-5 star guys.

Even if we had a guy like that he would have a hard time selling UConn. I used to believe otherwise but I have come around.

It's not like some of us weren't telling you that ten years ago.

Reaction Score

You can stop polluting the board anytime now. We get it, you don't like Randy.

Reaction Score
I believe he absolutely needs us more.

Collateral damage of the past six years is that the successful past RE could point to (what he did here) was becoming less than a faint memory. If this continued, only a few of us would be in a position to say " I remember when he did a very good job as a HC".

I agree with that by the way. He could not have gotten another job as good as this. We could have gone for someone like Houston and had every reason to believe we had a similar chance of success -- nothing is certain either way.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
It may or may not be unlike you. It all depends which of the Mods hacked Wisky's account and is impersonating him.

Yeah. Seeing Wisky on Team Edsall is a bit surreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom