Top Four | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not that I disagree but if Miss St's only loss is to Bama, Mich St's only loss is to Oregon and ND's only loss is to FSU how does Miss St automatically get in?

Seriously? You want to only look at losses and not wins? Under your scenario, Miss St would have beaten (at least) LSU, Auburn and Ole Miss. Neither ND nor Mich State will have wins of anywhere near that quality.

Reaction Score
Except schedule is biased by sec preseason hype - with s.car as the poster child.

You have no evidence that pre season hype will have any sway with the committee whatsoever. Both what we heard and their first rankings are consistent with comparing bodies of work and opponents bodies of work. There is no reason to think this will work in the same half assets manor that the polls do.

Reaction Score
Except schedule is biased by sec preseason hype - with s.car as the poster child.

That's the beauty of computers -- they have no such bias. And they overwhelming show the SEC West to be the strongest. (Driven by the SEC's 39-3 record in OOC play.)

I'm not an SEC fan, but facts are facts.

Reaction Score
So you couldn't name seven teams to bump one of those... two of them will finish with three losses - doesn't help my argument but I like Georgia better than Ab and ole miss. I really like miss st., have watched them several times. Still think that Oregon, Kstate, Mich St, Fla St (for arguments sake), TCU, Baylor all remain in the mix. Next few weeks will be fun.

I could name more than 7 teams that could bump them from the playoff spot. But that's not what we're arguing about.

1 SEC team is guaranteed. 2 is a real possibility. The only reason the SEC won't get 3 teams in is because they will kill each other off. Bama, Auburn, Miss St, Ole Miss, and Georgia are all better than FSU.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Totally agree with your fsu observation. And mostly agree that the sec has five of the top 15. I just get tired year after year of watching sec teams get too much credit for beating other sec teams.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with your fsu observation. And mostly agree that the sec has five of the top 15. I just get tired year after year of watching sec teams get too much credit for beating other sec teams.

Well that's fine but that totally flies in the face of your previous comment about preseason SEC bias.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Well that's fine but that totally flies in the face of your previous comment about preseason SEC bias.

LOL, I was posting with a head full of soju last night so maybe, but I do believe sec teams have to do less than others to move up the charts year in/year out.
Best SEC OOC wins this year: bama > w.va; ole miss > boise st,; Georgia > Clemson; auburn > k state

Reaction Score
LOL, I was posting with a head full of soju last night so maybe, but I do believe sec teams have to do less than others to move up the charts year in/year out.
Best SEC OOC wins this year: bama > w.va; ole miss > boise st,; Georgia > Clemson; auburn > k state

That's better than just about everybody else. The Big XII and BiG have nothing OOC. The Pac12 has Oregon over Michigan State( and maybe Utah over Michigan) The ACC has FSU over ND and if you want to stretch a bit OK. State and nothing else.

Reaction Score
I hate the SOS metric. I feel like it's a self fulfilling prophecy. I hate that because a school plays in the SEC and goes through the gauntlet of Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Arkansas and Florida the last few years. This is why I want to see the playoff expanded and only conference champs considered.

Reaction Score
I hate the SOS metric. I feel like it's a self fulfilling prophecy. I hate that because a school plays in the SEC and goes through the gauntlet of Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Arkansas and Florida the last few years. This is why I want to see the playoff expanded and only conference champs considered.

You left out a couple of SEC schools.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State, Florida State, Auburn and Mississippi

Sorry just not buying the bull they're selling. ND, TCU, MSU, ORE all can beat Auburn, Ole Miss and Miss St. on any good day.

Watch as Alabama manages to find its way in. There will 3 SEC teams just because. Until they get 16 teams in play, this is a joke.

I hope they pull three SEC teams. Then for sure they will expand the playoff to 8 teams.

Reaction Score
You left out a couple of SEC schools.

I know I left out some of the better schools, but everyone outside of ESPiN and the SEC seem to realize that the SEC is extremely top heavy and mediocre at best at the bottom. All I'm saying is I think strength of schedule is a stupid metric to use. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I hate the fact that some undefeated teams get glossed over because there is a 1 lose SEC team.

Reaction Score
I know I left out some of the better schools, but everyone outside of ESPiN and the SEC seem to realize that the SEC is extremely top heavy and mediocre at best at the bottom. All I'm saying is I think strength of schedule is a stupid metric to use. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I hate the fact that some undefeated teams get glossed over because there is a 1 lose SEC team.

SEC is mediocre at the bottom. Unlike what other conference?

Folks, look with your own eyes. The SEC is far and away the best conference in college football with the best teams. This ESPN agenda is such nonsense. Bama, Auburn, Miss St, Ole Miss, LSU, Georgia all pass the eye test. They would all bury Mich St/OSU/FSU/ND.

Reaction Score
0% chance 3 SEC teams get in. I think it's a long shot that 2 get in, but it's possible.

If Georgia wins the SEC conference title game (with 1 loss), there is 90% chance that the runner up especially if it is a 1 loss Miss State team. It would be hard to keep a 2 loss Alabama or Miss. team out too. (Auburn would have 3 losses in that scenario as they still play Georgia)

For 3 Teams: Georgia at 2 losses (Losing in conference title game), Alabama winning out plus conference title (1 loss) and Miss State winning all but Alabama (1 Loss) is only real scenario I see. And in that case Georgia may fall into the 5 or 6 bubble team.

Reaction Score
SEC is mediocre at the bottom. Unlike what other conference?

Folks, look with your own eyes. The SEC is far and away the best conference in college football with the best teams. This ESPN agenda is such nonsense. Bama, Auburn, Miss St, Ole Miss, LSU, Georgia all pass the eye test. They would all bury Mich St/OSU/FSU/ND.

I'm not saying that the top of the conference isn't the best in the country. Bama, LSU, Georgia and the likes all have talent and coaching to probably win a couple games at the NFL (at least beat Oakland at this point). I'm saying that schools like Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Arkansas and Florida under Muschamp. wouldn't do much better in any of the other P5 conference. This is why I think it should be win your conference and you're in, not have the whole LSU-Alabama snooze bowl again where one team didn't even win their division let alone their conference.

In an expanded playoffs do I believe the SEC should have more that one team? By far and away of course I do, but I think that in order for it to be a "true" championship every conference champion should have a chance.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying that the top of the conference isn't the best in the country. Bama, LSU, Georgia and the likes all have talent and coaching to probably win a couple games at the NFL (at least beat Oakland at this point). I'm saying that schools like Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Arkansas and Florida under Muschamp. wouldn't do much better in any of the other P5 conference. This is why I think it should be win your conference and you're in, not have the whole LSU-Alabama snooze bowl again where one team didn't even win their division let alone their conference.

In an expanded playoffs do I believe the SEC should have more that one team? By far and away of course I do, but I think that in order for it to be a "true" championship every conference champion should have a chance.

I'll put Tenn, Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Florida up against the following:

Wake, VT, Pitt, Cuse, NC St

Purdue, Indiana, NW, Illinois, Michigan

Kansas, Iowa St, Texas, Texas Tech

Wazzou, Colorado, Oregon St, Cal

That group of SEC teams, as a whole, are better than any other of these aformentioned group of teams. If any team should be ripped for being overrated, it's FSU.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Mississippi State, Florida State, Auburn and Mississippi

Sorry just not buying the bull they're selling. ND, TCU, MSU, ORE all can beat Auburn, Ole Miss and Miss St. on any good day.

Watch as Alabama manages to find its way in. There will 3 SEC teams just because. Until they get 16 teams in play, this is a joke.
**Yawn** Call me after Championship weekend. Having these polls now is ONLY for the benefit of Mike & Mike in the Morning, Dan Patrick, and Colin Cowherd.

Reaction Score
If FSU keeps winning that puts the block on possibly 2 other P5 conferences. If they lose to Ville no other ACC team in sight but I think there may be pressure to include more conferences rather than load up on SEC teams. Lack of a conference championship could doom Big 12 though.

Reaction Score
This.

Reaction Score
It fascinates me that anybody could possibly believe this is not fundamentally corrupt and biased to the core. Just follow the money.

Reaction Score
My Top 4 would be:

1. Miss St. 2. FSU (until they lose), 3. Oregon (if they win the PAC 12) 4. TCU (if they win the Big 12)

Conference championships should absolutely hold more weight than SOS. If any other team out of the SEC is better than Miss. St. they'll beat them before the playoffs. I just don't want to see another Alabama in the playoffs when they didn't even win their own division.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My Top 4 would be:

1. Miss St. 2. FSU (until they lose), 3. Oregon (if they win the PAC 12) 4. TCU (if they win the Big 12)

Conference championships should absolutely hold more weight than SOS. If any other team out of the SEC is better than Miss. St. they'll beat them before the playoffs. I just don't want to see another Alabama in the playoffs when they didn't even win their own division.

I think he meant today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger