Too Many Stats | The Boneyard

Too Many Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Computers are probably the reason, but on broadcasts I've seen, they have stats for every little thing. Rank in batters who hit ground balls hit within 41/2 feet of second base, pitchers rank on how many pop ups go over 37 feet high. I suppose that's great for managers and scouts to know. They probably have a stat for pitchers who scratch their jewels on 3-2 counts.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Computers are probably the reason, but on broadcasts I've seen, they have stats for every little thing. Rank in batters who hit ground balls hit within 41/2 feet of second base, pitchers rank on how many pop ups go over 37 feet high. I suppose that's great for managers and scouts to know. They probably have a stat for pitchers who scratch their jewels on 3-2 counts.

Tommy Milone leads the mlb with 60 nad adjustments on full counts.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Tommy Milone leads the mlb with 60 nad adjustments on full counts.
I knew someone was keeping track. Glad you're paying close attention to the keys to the game.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Brian Kenny at MLB Netork is all over this.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I find most of the advanced stats to be very interesting and do think that they are much better predictors of future success than just looking at someones Batting Average, ERA etc. However, I don't really think they belong in the broadcasts. Just watch the game. Those intricate stats are for debates about who is going to have a good year next year, who has been lucky this year, and so on.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I find most of the advanced stats to be very interesting and do think that they are much better predictors of future success than just looking at someones Batting Average, ERA etc. However, I don't really think they belong in the broadcasts. Just watch the game. Those intricate stats are for debates about who is going to have a good year next year, who has been lucky this year, and so on.
I'm not complaining so much as observing. The relative detail is probably only manageable because of computers. I know I rank 1,722, 976 in trips to the fridge between innings.

Reaction Score
I get the stat people, it's fine whatever. Most of them mean very little and do not tell the story they are intended to as far as I see it. But hey there's techies out there that have to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom