Tom Milone | The Boneyard

Tom Milone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched the 2nd quarter of the Masuk-Bunnell football game on MyTV9 last nite. Milone is a star on this team who does it all. Runs, passes, punts, catches passes, all exceptionelly well.
The announcers said that the Penn States and many of the big time football programs were interested. They also said, in passing, that UConn FB was interested.
The announcers went further by saying that Milone will be drafted within baseball's 1st 3 rounds and he made that clear to the interested FB programs. As a result, these FB programs backed off.
No mention of Milone accepting a baseball scolie (or partial) to UConn since the end of his soph season.
From everything I've seen with pgcrosschecker, & Baseball America, Milone isn't considered to be drafted at all, let alone that high. Plus, an article in the CT Post, a month ago stated he will still play FB, this fall, even though he will just play baseball only at UConn next year. I have to wonder if he performed miracles at some baseball camp over the past few weeks that sent the scouts drooling. Or, the announcers just plain got their facts wrong.
I guess we'll just have to wait until June to find out for sure.

Reaction Score
**I will start off by saying I have never seen Milone play so what Im going to say is pure speculation on my part.**

I personally think the announcers just got their facts wrong. I know for a fact that Milone did play in the area code games which is EXTREMELY difficult to do and that according to some sources he showed out which would definitely be where the draft buzz is coming from. My brother (pitched for SHS last season) and Vinny Siena were both invited to the Yankees tryout in Staten Island two summers ago and they said that there were a few kids who where on a level that you just don't see in CT unless you have played on some of the bigger national level AAU teams. So that shows that Milone definitely has high level talent because he made it on the team.
However, having been around the Shelton program for the past 8 years you tend to know or at least hear about everyone in Southern CT and the state for that matter who is on that "next" level and I just havent heard the buzz in this area about Milone for someone who would be drafted that high. In a state this small if a player is that good (Jason Esposito being the most recent kid nationally thought of that highly) you hear about him well before his SR year. Now part of it could be that it doesnt seem that Milone has been active in the AAU ranks so he hasn't gotten as much exposure but you would think there would be buzz.
Finally, Matt Harvey was probably the most recent top 3 round HS draft pick from CT and he was a 3rd rounder. At the time he was considered the #4 player in the country and was clocked at 96mph off the mound and he "fell" to round 3 because he was committed to college (rumors are Jason Esposito slid to round 7 for the same reason). In the end Milone will more than likely be drafted (top 25 rounds) and he could be very high but the likelihood of him being in the top 3 rounds just seems to be a long shot.

Reaction Score
doesnt have Springers size. But is alot faster. More of a lead-off hitter with a little pop.
Hopefully he plays for us in the spring of '14

Reaction Score
Notice Ruotolo & Sullivan are there too. Most of these guys are college players. Also great to see Mazilli #1. I do believe all the incoming recruits will pass on the draft and enter UConn.
The program is indeed looking good.

Reaction Score
Notice Ruotolo & Sullivan are there too. Most of these guys are college players. Also great to see Mazilli #1. I do believe all the incoming recruits will pass on the draft and enter UConn.
The program is indeed looking good.

Saw that as well... knew we had a thread on Milone just couldn't remember if it was on the football or baseball forum (ended up being both). Intrigued by Moretti from West Haven as well. Penders and staff doing well. Tough to keep kids in the "cold weather".

Reaction Score
Saw that as well... knew we had a thread on Milone just couldn't remember if it was on the football or baseball forum (ended up being both). Intrigued by Moretti from West Haven as well. Penders and staff doing well. Tough to keep kids in the "cold weather".
Yeah, Moretti would be just what UConn needs to round out it's recruiting, a first baseman.

Reaction Score
Channel 8 did a feature on Milone last week. Baseball America lists him among the top 50 HS players. Several scouts attending his game(s). He said he was fully comitted to attend UConn. But, if he gets drafted within the 1st 5 rounds he will have to make a big decision.
Milone isn't the only UConn incoming recruit followed by scouts. Kay & Zapata have many scouts attend their games. I understand the scouts attend Sullivan & Ruotolo's games up in Mass. Early June can become nail biting time.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i have been quiet until now so i will speak on him. i have seen many projections from 2nd up thru the 15h round. he has had every single mlb team within the last month watch him. the yanks and several others watched his fall games this past fball season. after games he holds bp with a wooden bat and cranks them 350+ to right center all night. he is so fast that many players in his conf consider walking him a triple. he is a beast athlete. all that being said, i have been told he has a borderline 2.0 gpa and is looking to go pro asap. i hope its not true but the source is good.

also, sju is getting a steal in ameer. to bad he signed early with them and didn't give us much of a chance. kid throws low 90s all day. good baseball family backgound.he has had about half of lb teams check in. imho he gets drafted late but goes to school.

Reaction Score
i have been quiet until now so i will speak on him. i have seen many projections from 2nd up thru the 15h round. he has had every single mlb team within the last month watch him. the yanks and several others watched his fall games this past fball season. after games he holds bp with a wooden bat and cranks them 350+ to right center all night. he is so fast that many players in his conf consider walking him a triple. he is a beast athlete. all that being said, i have been told he has a borderline 2.0 gpa and is looking to go pro asap. i hope its not true but the source is good.

http://www.perfectgame.org/articles/View.aspx?article=8406

"...the player who is the potential Mike Trout, the player scouts and fans look back and say, “What were we/they thinking when we didn’t pick this guy when we had a chance?,” that player might be Connecticut high school outfielder Thomas Milone."

Be interesting to see what happens.

Reaction Score
I agree Ameer from Weston HS is a stud.

I'm really nervous about the draft. A bunch of commits are rising up the boards.

Reaction Score
Anthony Kay in Long Island, Andrew Zapata of Brooklyn Poly, Ryan Sullivan of Hopkinton MA, and Pat Ruotolo of Peabody MA are attracting the scouts. I do believe Milone is the only one projected to possibly go within the 1st 10 rounds.
He was interviewed on Ch 8 a month ago. He said his commitment to UConn is firm unless he gets drafted in the 1st 5 rounds. If that happens he said he, then, would have to make a big decision.
I doubt he is a borderline 2.0 student. If that were the case he wouldn't get admitted to UConn. The state's best pitcher committed to CCSU, while the states best shortstop comitted to a D-3 school. They didn't have the grades and most likely will go in the draft no matter where they are drafted.

Reaction Score
[quote=" i have been told he has a borderline 2.0 gpa and is looking to go pro asap. i hope its not true but the source is good.[/quote]

The CT Post articles says he's an honor student.

Reaction Score
Has UConn ever lost a commit to the draft? Haven't been following UConn baseball that long.

Reaction Score
Has UConn ever lost a commit to the draft? Haven't been following UConn baseball that long.
About 5-6 years ago a kid from Waterford (forgot his name) signed with UConn, and was drafted by, I believe, Texas, in the 10th round. He elected to go the MLB route. He was a pitcher. I haven't heard anything about him in a few years. Last I knew he was beginning to right himself in the lower minors after struggling his first few years. Haven't heard anything about him since.
That was the same year Mike Olt signed with UConn and Matt Harvey was highly drafted out of Fitch high but elected to attend UNC. The Mets sure as hell are happy he didn't go MLB 5-6 years ago.

Reaction Score
About 5-6 years ago a kid from Waterford (forgot his name) signed with UConn, and was drafted by, I believe, Texas, in the 10th round. He elected to go the MLB route. He was a pitcher. I haven't heard anything about him in a few years. Last I knew he was beginning to right himself in the lower minors after struggling his first few years. Haven't heard anything about him since.
That was the same year Mike Olt signed with UConn and Matt Harvey was highly drafted out of Fitch high but elected to attend UNC. The Mets sure as hell are happy he didn't go MLB 5-6 years ago.

Robert Bono - Houston

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=bono--001rob

Reaction Score
[quote=" i have been told he has a borderline 2.0 gpa and is looking to go pro asap. i hope its not true but the source is good.
The CT Post articles says he's an honor student.[/quote]

HuskyfanDan doesn't read the CT Post

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
[quote=" i have been told he has a borderline 2.0 gpa and is looking to go pro asap. i hope its not true but the source is good.

The CT Post articles says he's an honor student.[/quote]

Hmm might have to google that. Wish there was a local here that could help us with this debate. If I'm wrong then it's the other player I mentioned with grades issues. I still remember it being the way I said it but hey I'm always drunk so maybe I have them confused.

Reaction Score
The CT Post articles says he's an honor student. Hmm might have to google that. Wish there was a local here that could help us with this debate. If I'm wrong then it's the other player I mentioned with grades issues. I still remember it being the way I said it but hey I'm always drunk so maybe I have them confused.

Don't know about the other kid, but Milone doesn't have a grade issue.

"For all the scouting, projecting and possible decisions awaiting him, Thomas Milone is taking it all in stride. Franco laughs about how a scout once asked Milone, an honors student, how many touchdowns he scored as a senior and Milone didn't even know since he was focused on baseball. (All Milone did was score 35 touchdowns his senior year.)"

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/highschool/article/Masuk-s-highly-recruited-Milone-facing-4487643.php#ixzz2Ucf7azBo

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Haha super join won the buzz bet and he's feeling good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom