Todd Graham just fired Pitt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Todd Graham just fired Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but Pitt essentially pulled the same crap on John Marinatto and the Big East.

No tears outta me for them at alll. Eat it, Pitt...
I had the same thought. Though it would have been better if it was announced while the Pitt AD was signing a contract to play Arizona State...

Reaction Score
Graham made Edsall look considerate in comparison. He sent his director of football operations a text and had him relay the text via email.

Graham text to players.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The curse of the ACC continues...
Which is why I question those who want UConn to head to the ACC. At least Ms. Herbst has been forthright about UConn's interest and that should mitigate matters somewhat if UConn does go to the ACC. But a big part of me wants to see the NBE survive and over time surpass the traitors. Crazier things have happened.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with coaches leaving after the season. No different risk than your faculty advisor or favorite professor leaving at the end of the year. That the NCAA can't agree that member institutions won't poach each other's coaches before the end of a team's season is, in and of itself, enough to make me conclude that these are not really non-profit institutions and should not be treated as such.

The end of the season when???? After, last regular season game? After a team's bowl appearance? Or make everybody wait til after the NC game (similiar to MLB with World Series)? When can coaches leave? Guessing Graham won't be coaching Pitt in its game. This is why people shouldn't have gotten upset with Edsall last season. He was going, but wanted to coach the Fiesta Bowl. Maryland at least gave him that opportunity before making announcement.

Reaction Score
The end of the season when???? After, last regular season game? After a team's bowl appearance? Or make everybody wait til after the NC game (similiar to MLB with World Series)? When can coaches leave? Guessing Graham won't be coaching Pitt in its game. This is why people shouldn't have gotten upset with Edsall last season. He was going, but wanted to coach the Fiesta Bowl. Maryland at least gave him that opportunity before making announcement.
:):D;)
FUCRE probably figured even though he was going to his "dream job" he wouldn't be goingt to another BCS game for a loooooooooong time...except as a spectator.

Reaction Score
Graham just took a dump on the Pitt program. I'm glad we don't have to worry about this type of nonsense with P at the helm. This is why hiring a coach who considers the job a destination and not a stepping stone is so important. Hathaway made a good hire with P.

Reaction Score

The end of your season. Including bowl game if you're playing in one.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Graham just took a dump on the Pitt program. I'm glad we don't have to worry about this type of nonsense with P at the helm. This is why hiring a coach who considers the job a destination and not a stepping stone is so important. Hathaway made a good hire with P.

This was my biggest takeaway on the PP hire as well. He isn't going to be the guy who comes in and is immediately looking for the next rung on the ladder to grab. He certainly wasn't as "sexy" of a hire as some others mentioned but I think it's clear he will stick with this program for as long as it wants him there and there is definitely something to be said for that.

Reaction Score
Lol, it was his dream job. Time to poach their recruits, it's going to be tough to keep the class with so little time to find a head coach. I hope they go after Cignetti from Rutgers, he's key to the PA and Bosco pipeline Rutgers has built.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
With Pitt now in flux, BCU stagnating and PSU/UMd cratering before our eyes (the Terps' xfer total under FUCRE's watch is now 21 and counting, plus his OC is bailing), it's time for PP to make as much headway as possible on the recruiting trail while the competition is down.

Looks like PP and Marrone are the only Northeast CFB coaches left who can look a recruit square in the eye today and tell him they're not going anywhere - and mean it. And even Marrone is kinda iffy: see RichRod...

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Holy crap. And for ASU? Maybe he was looking for warmer weather? What a mess for Pitt.

He did the exact same thing at Rice. Owl fans like myself refer to him as "the toad." Mediocre coach, and a . HATE him.

Reaction Score
With Pitt now in flux, BCU stagnating and PSU/UMd cratering before our eyes (the Terps' xfer total under FUCRE's watch is now 21 and counting, plus his OC is bailing), it's time for PP to make as much headway as possible on the recruiting trail while the competition is down.

Looks like PP and Marrone are the only Northeast CFB coaches left who can look a recruit square in the eye today and tell him they're not going anywhere - and mean it. And even Marrone is kinda iffy: see RichRod...
And if Marrone has another 5-7, or worse, year he won't be around long enough to see the ACC...

Reaction Score
This is funny. From the middle article linked above.

"I'm really surprised Arizona State didn't do a background check to see how long he's stayed at his coaching stops," ESPN NCAA insider Mark May told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.

Hey Mark, maybe Pitt should have done a better job of checking his background before hiring him last year.

I don't think Arizona State needs to worry about him leaving. He's not that good.

Reaction Score
As Jack Donnegan put, a parent has to think his kid is smart even when he goes to Arizona State...And the there is Ned Flanders..."looks like heaven is easier to get into than Arizona State..." or "Igot a check plus plus at Grock community College...that's like a C+ at Arizona State."

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but Pitt essentially pulled the same crap on John Marinatto and the Big East.

No tears outta me for them at alll. Eat it, Pitt...
Good call Epark!! I missed that little irony!

Reaction Score
If I were a Pitt fan, I would not be shedding any tears here.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This Pedersen press conference is gold. The statement on the Pitt site reeks of "WE ARE SUING THE CRAP OUT OF YOU".

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121411aaa.html

Mr. Graham first advised Mr. Pederson of his intentions via telephone Tuesday evening. During that conversation, Graham requested permission to speak to another institution. That permission was denied and he was asked to sit down in person to discuss everyone's best interest in this situation. There had been no earlier indication of a desire to leave his position at Pitt. In fact, he expressly stated that his coaching experiences at the University of Pittsburgh had been entirely positive and that his decision was based solely on personal family reasons.

"Obviously this is not the way we would have expected Mr. Graham to handle any possible departure," Pitt executive vice chancellor and general counsel Jerry Cochran said. "Beyond normal expectations with respect to professional conduct, he has failed to comply with the terms of his contract."

Reaction Score
As much as I'm reveling in Pitt's misery here, I think it's a bit much to say PP was a "good hire" because he isn't going to be skipping town. Hope PP turns it around - and beats Edsall at Maryland next year, which isn't going to be the layup some of the RE haters think it's going to be - but Hathaway's amateurish "search" is still a joke.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Randy ain't goin anywhere . . . for a long, long time.
Into early retirement perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99