TN over ND | Page 13 | The Boneyard

TN over ND

Reaction Score
Ok, I lied, now I'm drinking *and* browsing the board. Don't see any video of Muffet's presser (for your schadenfreude needs), but here are the quotes.

Postgame Quotes: Lady Vols 71, #6 Notre Dame 69

Muffet's opening statement:
I thought Tennessee did a great job down the stretch. When they made their run, they rebounded. They held us to one shot, and I thought that was the difference in the game. We were outrebounding them in the first half, but in the second half, we could not get a rebound, especially at the offensive end. We were disappointed in our effort defensively, and our inability to guard the ball screen really killed us down the stretch. We talked about it, but we weren't able to guard them in the ball screen. We just made a lot of mistakes. To their credit, they took advantage of all of the mistakes we made."
Orangutan, I have always enjoyed your presence on our forum and appreciate your thoughtful insights, so I'm compelled to ask, do you see, as I do, a big difference in competitive fire on this Irish team compared to Muffett's squads of the past? Over a long period of time, I consistently credited Muffett with being the second best coach in the game, always emphasizing her ability to develop an absolute warrior mentality in her players, a refuse-to-lose kind of defiance. Once Madison Cable graduated, I no longer see that kind of competitive fire left anywhere on this team. I think, to give credit, Allen shows a fair amount of it, but doesn't get much help. Arike is hugely talented, but tries to do too much herself and therefore has become wildly inconsistent. Turner, who once looked like such a huge talent, plays with what looks to me a kind of tentative fear ever since she suffered that injury...never looks truly dominating any more. Westbeld seems to have become consistent, but, alas, on the liability side of the ledger. I dunno, something seems to have gone out of the equation for the Irish despite what looks like almost unbeatable talent on paper. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I see everyone sayin ND play Tenn in a zone. Isn't that how most teams should play them? They can't shout the 3. And really aren't great outside shooters. So I why question what D they were in??

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Right now, it looks like another ND loss, whenever it is they meet Florida State.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Looks like I'll be having some fun with the ND fans in South Bend today! LOL

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Another interesting stat: TN took 22 fouls shots to ND's 9 and made 14 to ND's 6. Seems a real reversal to a typical ND game where they go to the free throw line more often than their opponents. At least, that's my impression from years past.

Any of those following ND more closely this year able to confirm?

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
When was the last time ND was ranked outside the top ten?

Reaction Score
Another interesting stat: TN took 22 fouls shots to ND's 9 and made 14 to ND's 6. Seems a real reversal to a typical ND game where they go to the free throw line more often than their opponents. At least, that's my impression from years past.

Any of those following ND more closely this year able to confirm?

I did not watch the game. Some of those who did are giving a lot of credit to the SEC crew that refereed the game for the free throw attempts.
If ND had made all the 9 throws, they would have won.

Reaction Score
Something strange is happening over at Notre Dame. Muffet is turning her young women off and not on. This is a head thing.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Orangutan, I have always enjoyed your presence on our forum and appreciate your thoughtful insights, so I'm compelled to ask, do you see, as I do, a big difference in competitive fire on this Irish team compared to Muffett's squads of the past? This group is certainly less demonstrative than folks like Cable, Huffman, Achonwa, McBride, Diggins, who wore their hearts on their sleeves. They also seem to be less mentally tough. Up until the Stanford game last year, ND had won 27 straight games decided by single digits. Might be off by one or two but I think that's the number. ND had been a team that always found a way to win. This team found a way to lose.Over a long period of time, I consistently credited Muffett with being the second best coach in the game, always emphasizing her ability to develop an absolute warrior mentality in her players, a refuse-to-lose kind of defiance. It will be interesting to see where things go from here. How does she handle it from a motivation standpoint and instill that confidence? Also, she has a lot of teaching to do regarding scheme. The fluidity of the offense is too sporadic. When they get into a drought, people stop trusting the offense and each other. I feel like maybe the last few years the program sustained itself due to the values that Skylar brought to the program and passed down to the players she played with. Last year's seniors were the last link to the Diggins era. Once Madison Cable graduated, I no longer see that kind of competitive fire left anywhere on this team. I think, to give credit, Allen shows a fair amount of it, but doesn't get much help. There was a theory on the ND board that her teammates put almost too much trust in Allen, to the point of relying on her to make everything happen on offense instead of thinking for themselves. Possibly there's some truth to that. Arike is hugely talented, but tries to do too much herself and therefore has become wildly inconsistent. Agreed. Turner, who once looked like such a huge talent, plays with what looks to me a kind of tentative fear ever since she suffered that injury...never looks truly dominating any more. Agreed. Westbeld seems to have become consistent, but, alas, on the liability side of the ledger. Westbeld has been very good this year. Unspectacular but does the little things, works hard, fills the stat sheet. Last night was not her best effort, though. Just 2 rebounds in 31 minutes is uncharacteristic. Maybe she was bothered by Tennessee size and athleticism. I dunno, something seems to have gone out of the equation for the Irish despite what looks like almost unbeatable talent on paper. Thoughts? I think it's mostly about consistency. This team shows flashes of greatness but they don't perform consistently for 40 minutes like past teams did.

Some thoughts above in bold. I could totally see this team turning the corner and starting to look like the ND of old at some point. Or they could keep failing to learn from their mistakes (this should be a wake up call but so should have NC State). Going to be an interesting ride to the end of the season.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Nared did a good job on that play to hit the shot.

Reaction Score
Nared did a good job on that play to hit the shot.

Ironic that it was Nared, and not either of the supposed superstars, who took the winning shot.

If I'm a WNBA scout, I'm not lovin' DD right now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Some thoughts above in bold. I could totally see this team turning the corner and starting to look like the ND of old at some point. Or they could keep failing to learn from their mistakes (this should be a wake up call but so should have NC State). Going to be an interesting ride to the end of the season.
Yeah - that is what is so surprising to me - they have been given a series of 'wake up' calls starting with their struggles against Green Bay, but they seem to keep hitting the snooze button. As you say there is still plenty of time, but no one thought it would take this much time to kick in.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Ironic that it was Nared, and not either of the supposed superstars, who took the winning shot.

If I'm a WNBA scout, I'm not lovin' DD right now.
Nared has sure improved this year also. A good game by Diamond.

Reaction Score
I did not watch the game. Some of those who did are giving a lot of credit to the SEC crew that refereed the game for the free throw attempts.
If ND had made all the 9 throws, they would have won.

I usually don't subscribe to the "homecooking" effect, but it was getting quite noticeable, especially in the 4th qtr, that all the whistles were coming from the Tennessee side of the court (ND on defense). Maybe the Irish were being too touchy-feely on defense, but that kind of stuff typically gets called on both ends. And, frankly there were a half dozen times the Lady Vols had at least 2 players hanging out in the lane for more than 3 seconds. Some of that may just be perception as I guess 3 seconds doesn't get counted unless the offensive team has firm possession of the ball, and there was often a lot scrambling for tipped passes and rebounds. Usually, though, the ball is considered in the offense's hands until the defense gains control.

But you are correct that ND disadvantaged themselves at the free throw line. The commentators mentioned more than once that Tenn had the advantage in those player stats. The lack of personal fouls on Tennessee really hurt ND in those last few seconds as the LV's could practically foul at will at the end to reduce ND's time to run a final play. But again, the Irish should have recognized the ploy and gotten the ball to someone close to the arc so they could be fouled in the act (a la Florida State game), but to the LV's credit they kept forcing the Irish to inbound closer to midcourt.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
When was the last time ND was ranked outside the top ten?

Based on a cursory search through the archives:
January 17, 2011. Exactly six years ago!

It's far from certain that they'll fall more than 4 spots next Monday, but they might.

Reaction Score

Not much mention of her in this thread, but one bright spot for ND is the continuing development of Marina Mabrey. She hustles and has a sweet stroke. The more I see of her the more I respect her game. A little bit Novosel, a little bit Mallory.

Reaction Score
Turner, a very good player with offensive limitations......an All American ..I don't know, maybe at that position..POY, not even close... KLS, Collier and Gabby are all having better seasons as are many others in my opinion.....

I didn't get to watch the game until 5-minutes left. The one thing I remember was Turner backing away from Tenn player about to shoot instead of coming up to guard her. Of course Tenn made the shot and I was completely dumbfounded. Turner has not turned out to be the player I expected her to be.

She would have been benched at UConn and deep in Geno's doghouse, even as short handed as we are

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom