Tina heads up All-WNBA 1st team.... Maya leads 2nd team | The Boneyard

Tina heads up All-WNBA 1st team.... Maya leads 2nd team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Disappointed that Maya was not on the 1st Team, but feel slightly knowing that she actually received more points than Seimone and would have been on the 1st team if not due to position allocation. She also received the most points amongst the Lynx players, making her the best player on the best team!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice recognition for Tina especially. Maya has tough competition with Parker and Catchings.

Kristi Tolliver really stepped up her game this season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Disappointed that Maya was not on the 1st Team, but feel slightly knowing that she actually received more points than Seimone and would have been on the 1st team if not due to position allocation. She also received the most points amongst the Lynx players, making her the best player on the best team!
I'm not sure that makes her the best player on her team (receiving most points), but I do agree with you - I think she is the best. Siemone and Lindsey are both terrific as is Rebekkah, though.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that makes her the best player on her team (receiving most points), but I do agree with you - I think she is the best. Siemone and Lindsey are both terrific as is Rebekkah, though.
The voting was specifically done by position,2Fs,C,and 2guards! Given this there was no way that Maya could have been 1st team! She was #3 in voting at F! It also makes comparing the voting totals for anyone else at the other postions irrelevent as to who is or isnt better league wise or team wise! Having said that Maya may be the best player on the Lynx with Siemone right up there with Whalen,and Rebekkah excellent!

The only way Maya could have been ist team would have been if the voting process was different!If the voters job was to vote for their top 5 players regardless of position. What is clear is that Maya, in her ist/2nd season plays a huge roll in making the Lynx the best team in the WNBA! She seems to win Championships wherever she plays!;)
Ira

Reaction Score
no way around it, but the team you play for is always a big factor. who was that point guard who started for the olympic team? and she would have no matter who the head coach was.

Reaction Score
The voting was specifically done by position,2Fs,C,and 2guards! Given this there was no way that Maya could have been 1st team! She was #3 in voting at F! It also makes comparing the voting totals for anyone else at the other postions irrelevent as to who is or isnt better league wise or team wise! Having said that Maya may be the best player on the Lynx with Siemone right up there with Whalen,and Rebekkah excellent!

The only way Maya could have been ist team would have been if the voting process was different!If the voters job was to vote for their top 5 players regardless of position. What is clear is that Maya, in her ist/2nd season plays a huge roll in making the Lynx the best team in the WNBA! She seems to win Championships wherever she plays!;)
Ira

The position thing is a crock in itself. If its done by position, Nneka or DMJ is the center of the Sparks and not Parker? They couldn't leave Parker off, so she's magically a forward.

To me choosing Toliver over Kara Lawson is the big joke. Lawson was less spectacular but far more consistent, and never in her worst nightmare would be close to breaking the record for most turnovers in a game.

I'll take Lawson's outstanding night in night out play, over Toliver's bursts.

Reaction Score
lol, I can only argue about one at a time...I can take up Sue later if you like, or if someone else would like to, because I think she clearly deserves it over Toliver too!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
To me choosing Toliver over Kara Lawson is the big joke. Lawson was less spectacular but far more consistent, and never in her worst nightmare would be close to breaking the record for most turnovers in a game.

Tolliver led the WNBA in most TOs for the season -- 124 -- which was more than twice the number of TOs committed by Lawson.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kristi had a good year. Previously, I was not sure if she would be an impact player in the WNBA.

That said, I'd vote for Lindsay, Kara, and Sue over her.

Reaction Score
34 games, ~18 points, ~5 assists, nearly 50/40/90... Toliver's second team nod was well deserved.

Lawson's absence is a mystery... IMO, she had the best season of any guard.

Reaction Score
The position thing is a crock in itself. If its done by position, Nneka or DMJ is the center of the Sparks and not Parker? They couldn't leave Parker off, so she's magically a forward.

Dish good and interesting question and theory! I was in that part of my post,just stating what the article said and the rules were supposed to be:eek:
What about Sue Bird?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This thread raises an issue that I have been meaning to comment about for some time. This All-Star team listing and Tina's MVP award are part of an increasing body of evidence that suggests that Tina has surpassed Maya as a basketball player in the last few years.

Do you remember, when they were both at UConn, how frequently Geno would make unfavorable comparisons between Tina's contributions and Maya's? Do you remember him saying at one point that the team had a reliable point guard (Renee) and a reliable wing (Maya), but not a reliable post presence?

There is no question that throughout her entire college career, Tina -- despite being a year older -- lacked the emotional maturity that Maya had even as a freshman. That now seems to have changed, as Tina is finally "all grown up". She now understands -- as she never did at UConn -- what level of sweat and determination is needed to achieve the career goals of which she is capable. Not that Maya has regressed -- far from it. But where Maya always had an advantage over Tina in work ethic and emotional maturity, she is now merely equal. That means that it is a contest of physical talents, and it is by no means clear that Tina's physical talents are inferior to Maya's.

One of Geno's more amusing comments was about how his coaching messages to Tina were like light from distant galaxies -- it would take them years to arrive and be processed at their destination. He said that some day when Tina was married and had children, she would finally comprehend what he had been trying to tell her back in college.

Apparently it hasn't taken quite that long.

Reaction Score
This thread raises an issue that I have been meaning to comment about for some time. This All-Star team listing and Tina's MVP award are part of an increasing body of evidence that suggests that Tina has surpassed Maya as a basketball player in the last few years.

Do you remember, when they were both at UConn, how frequently Geno would make unfavorable comparisons between Tina's contributions and Maya's? Do you remember him saying at one point that the team had a reliable point guard (Renee) and a reliable wing (Maya), but not a reliable post presence?

There is no question that throughout her entire college career, Tina -- despite being a year older -- lacked the emotional maturity that Maya had even as a freshman. That now seems to have changed, as Tina is finally "all grown up". She now understands -- as she never did at UConn -- what level of sweat and determination is needed to achieve the career goals of which she is capable. Not that Maya has regressed -- far from it. But where Maya always had an advantage over Tina in work ethic and emotional maturity, she is now merely equal. That means that it is a contest of physical talents, and it is by no means clear that Tina's physical talents are inferior to Maya's.

One of Geno's more amusing comments was about how his coaching messages to Tina were like light from distant galaxies -- it would take them years to arrive and be processed at their destination. He said that some day when Tina was married and had children, she would finally comprehend what he had been trying to tell her back in college.

Apparently it hasn't taken quite that long.

This is coming from a huge fan of Tina! I am ecstatic what Tina is achieving! Geno's jabs at Tina while at UCONN had a tremendous impact on Tina's
level of play during the 2nd part of her career at UCONN! I believe that Tina has even acknowledged this!

Her last 2 years resulted in 2 NCs along with numerous honors especially in her SR year!
In her SR Year She won the Naismith Award,AP Player of the year,USWBA Player of the Year,1st Team AA Team across the board and more honors!
Ira

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There are three players on named to first or second team that did not make the Olympic team: Pondexter, Young and Tolliver. USA Basketball is in great shape for years.

Reaction Score

It's a good point although I do not agree. They play on two different teams at two different positions with differing offensive focal points. While Tina is definitely the best center in the league and much more valuable to her team than Maya is to hers, Maya Moore is one heckuva ballplayer. Surpassing her is a tall order. Tina Charles, as Connecticut's first scoring and rebounding option, goes 18.0 and 10.5. Maya Moore, as Minnesota's second scoring option, is also Minnesota's second leading rebounder as an undersized, often overmatched forward, averages 16.4 and 6.0. There is a body of evidence, but whether it increasingly suggests that Tina has surpassed Maya is a a matter of serious debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom