Time to show up or shut up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Time to show up or shut up

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
personally i like the lower chair backs in the upper deck, cant beat em but they are $$

Yeah, I've settled on those. Which side of the field for a day game? Near 224 or 101?

Reaction Score
You need to look at our attendance for the past 5 years and rethink that. We should be pleased with 35k for each of those games.
Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I would still would be disappointed if we didn't sell out at least the Syracuse game. There was great improvement in the program last year and this years team should be even better if they can stay healthy. Also all this big 12 talk going on that should create a bit of a buzz provided we don't get left out once again. Fans need to come out and support this team. Your view is probably more realistic but I'm hoping that is not the case.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
;)

90155b01fd1c03e6f7a5557eb9b6c7aa.jpg

Look like any boneyarder you know? :D

kickball.jpg
You sure there is no other thread mentioning kickball where you can point to and rag on the poster?
(Kidding).

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
OK guys, I'm looking to buy some single game tickets. I've actually never been to the Rent, as I've been coaching my daughter's school basketball team for the last 5-6 years, which ties me up every fall Saturday and I live in MA, making weekday nights impractical.

So tell me where I should buy tickets? I'm looking at the UCF game at the moment (maybe more). Better to spend the $60 for lower chair-back, or the $45-50 for upper middle chairback or go lower sideline edges for $35.

I'll be heading to the BC game as well.
I do a group tailgate at least once a year for my Boston-area buddies, this year is Cuse. If you are the guy I was talking to Incontro about, a few of us live in your neck of the woods (Franklin, Easton). You are welcome to join us.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Im takin my old man to Cincy. Thanks for the seating tips up there ^.

Rally time.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
lol, give me a break dude.

And yes, kickball. That was always my favorite game to play at recess back in elementary school. I'm pretty excited to play in this league. I'll make sure my TV is on and broadcasting the UConn game (and taping it) so we get credit for the ratings.
I played in that league years ago and met my wife because of it. An amazing excuse to drink and have a blast with friends. Also a much better way to meet people then going to a bar. Still know some friends who play and they still love it. Have fun man!

Reaction Score
Is there a guide anywhere that shows what sections are chairbacks?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I do a group tailgate at least once a year for my Boston-area buddies, this year is Cuse. If you are the guy I was talking to Incontro about, a few of us live in your neck of the woods (Franklin, Easton). You are welcome to join us.

Yeah, that's me. I'm in Franklin. I was gun-shy about Syracuse because I don't know what time it is. Sounds good though, thanks for the invite. I'm going to check with by buddy in Northboro and see which game he can get to.

Reaction Score
In all due respect, Cincy and Houston have tons of momentum with their fanbase heading into this season. The anticipation of being in the Big 12 is far more powerful than any marketing plan. I can appreciate the "We are Uconn" folks, but that isn't going to attract the average fan to buy a ticket to see Tulane. Never mind that the administration hasn't said anything that would give fans hope. And, I'm sorry but the hiring of administrators only matters to the ultimate diehards. There aren't many fanbases that would support going from playing long time regional rivals to playing former Conference USA schools 1500 miles away. If the NHL returned to Hartford I'm sure they would sell 16,000 tickets overnight for a Bruins game, but lucky to get 5,000 for any AHL team. In fairness to Uconn fans, very few P5 schools would draw flies if they played our schedule.

Tulane is one game.

If we can't get good crowds for games like Syracuse, Virginia, and Cincy, you can't blame the conference.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Tulane is one game.

If we can't get good crowds for games like Syracuse, Virginia, and Cincy, you can't blame the conference.
If we beat Navy I'm expecting 34k minimum for UVA. ACC team with a ton of alumni in these parts who should help out with a couple thousand fans. Also it's CTHS band day which did a great job filling the upper visitors corner where there typically are nevvvveeeer any people. If we beat UVA I think we can get 37k for Cuse.

Reaction Score
In all due respect, Cincy and Houston have tons of momentum with their fanbase heading into this season. The anticipation of being in the Big 12 is far more powerful than any marketing plan. I can appreciate the "We are Uconn" folks, but that isn't going to attract the average fan to buy a ticket to see Tulane. Never mind that the administration hasn't said anything that would give fans hope. And, I'm sorry but the hiring of administrators only matters to the ultimate diehards. There aren't many fanbases that would support going from playing long time regional rivals to playing former Conference USA schools 1500 miles away. If the NHL returned to Hartford I'm sure they would sell 16,000 tickets overnight for a Bruins game, but lucky to get 5,000 for any AHL team. In fairness to Uconn fans, very few P5 schools would draw flies if they played our schedule.
You are the EXACT person I am talking to in my OP! Another drum beating NHL returning to Hartford fan who makes EVERY excuse in the book why there aren't crowds at UConn football games! Newsflash..if people like you bought tickets to football games there wouldn't be as much subsidy!

Reaction Score
Tulane is one game.

He's just another person who beat the NHL return to Hartford drum...oh woe is me UConn is in the AAC...and on and on and on! These are the band wagon fans UConn sports really doesn't need...but has to put up with. After reading his 4 posts I can see that @Muddler is a disgruntled hoops fan who could care less about any other sport.

Reaction Score
He's just another person who beat the NHL return to Hartford drum...oh woe is me UConn is in the AAC...and on and on and on! These are the band wagon fans UConn sports really doesn't need...but has to put up with. After reading his 4 posts I can see that @Muddler is a disgruntled hoops fan who could care less about any other sport.

I've been following UCONN for a number of years as I started as a way to keep tabs on the career of a kid who played for my former HS. The one thing I have never been able to wrap my head around is the fractured element of your school's fan base. The whole concept of fans who only follow men's basketball, women's basketball, football, or now even hockey seems so bizarre to me, and likely to many others as well. I get that people have a right to spend their time and money any way they choose, but the idea that someone would only care about women's basketball, and not the other sports played by the school is puzzling. Is this strictly a non affiliated(T-shirt fan) thing or does this go on with alumni as well? If ever there was a time where these separate factions needed to come together as a collective voice its now. If football fails the sports they love cold be in real jeopardy.

Reaction Score
I've been following UCONN for a number of years as I started as a way to keep tabs on the career of a kid who played for my former HS. The one thing I have never been able to wrap my head around is the fractured element of your school's fan base. The whole concept of fans who only follow men's basketball, women's basketball, football, or now even hockey seems so bizarre to me, and likely to many others as well. I get that people have a right to spend their time and money any way they choose, but the idea that someone would only care about women's basketball, and not the other sports played by the school is puzzling. Is this strictly a non affiliated(T-shirt fan) thing or does this go on with alumni as well? If ever there was a time where these separate factions needed to come together as a collective voice its now. If football fails the sports they love cold be in real jeopardy.
It started really back with the relationship between Geno and Calhoun. That fractured relationship divided the fan base in my opinion. Football was always an after thought until it was elevated by Lew Perkins to 1A. At that time it seemed as though the men's hoops fan base got behind the football program and here was a carry over. The women's fan base has never come on board...and I am not sure they ever will. When the split with the BE happened it became apparent that a fraction of the men's hoops fan base started to push back and blame football for the CR issues. The fact remains that this was the SAME group that most likely never members what it was like pre-Gampel Pavilion...and Pre-Jim Calhoun..when Dom Perno was in over his head and the men's team used to get blown out on a regular nightly basis. As for hockey..a fair amount of the fans you see here that are vocal and against the school playing games in Storrs are members of the Bring the NHL back to Hartford drum beating group. They are a small but vocal group that realize becoming UConn hockey fans is a good thing because they can't relocate the team and the competition level is as high as you can get in college.

Reaction Score
It started really back with the relationship between Geno and Calhoun. That fractured relationship divided the fan base in my opinion. Football was always an after thought until it was elevated by Lew Perkins to 1A. At that time it seemed as though the men's hoops fan base got behind the football program and here was a carry over. The women's fan base has never come on board...and I am not sure they ever will. When the split with the BE happened it became apparent that a fraction of the men's hoops fan base started to push back and blame football for the CR issues. The fact remains that this was the SAME group that most likely never members what it was like pre-Gampel Pavilion...and Pre-Jim Calhoun..when Dom Perno was in over his head and the men's team used to get blown out on a regular nightly basis. As for hockey..a fair amount of the fans you see here that are vocal and against the school playing games in Storrs are members of the Bring the NHL back to Hartford drum beating group. They are a small but vocal group that realize becoming UConn hockey fans is a good thing because they can't relocate the team and the competition level is as high as you can get in college.

Interesting. Thanks

Reaction Score
Interesting. Thanks
That's my view of it as a life-long fan. I'm sure there are a bunch of others on here. Hopefully you get more replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the most part I agree with FDNY. One thing I would like to add, at least in terms of many fans of the men's basketball team is their attitude is an extension of the earlier days of Bid East basketball where nearly every member did not play football at a high (in some cases any) level. The fan bases held almost as a badge of honor that they were fans of men's college basketball and often poked fun at college football in general as if it was some direct competition to their fan support of basketball.

I will wager heavily that we still have fans who would have preferred we never attempted to compete at this level in football and remained more aligned with the Big East schools that are still in the BE.

Reaction Score
Has a lot to do with UConn being the de facto pro sport option in the state as well. most fans aren't alumni but are CT residents who see the success of the basketball teams on a national stage but see the struggling football team as almost minor league. This plus college basketball being generally played at a higher level than football in these parts is why you see that. I can't really speak for the woman's fan base as they're a breed of their own but Father Time will do a number on them soon so idk how long that problem will last.

Reaction Score
FDNY, take a break on Whalers fans. A lot of us Whalers fans have had the same enemy for 20 long years that you do now - the UConn basketball only's. Back then it wasn't UConn football that they were snubbing, it was the Whalers. Either they jumped off the bandwagon for good once Calhoun's teams got consistently good, or they never bothered to get on in the first place (even though hockey is by far the best live sport there is and the best players in the world were coming into our backyard 40-50 nights a year and the Whale was practically giving away tickets some nights).

To the basketball only's, learn from your mistakes. History will repeat itself.

Ghost of Christmas past

upload_2016-8-20_17-9-59.jpeg

upload_2016-8-20_16-58-42.jpeg

images

Reaction Score
FDNY, take a break on Whalers fans. A lot of us Whalers fans have had the same enemy for 20 long years that you do now - the UConn basketball only's. Back then it wasn't UConn football that they were snubbing, it was the Whalers. Either they jumped off the bandwagon for good once Calhoun's teams got consistently good, or they never bothered to get on in the first place (even though hockey is by far the best live sport there is and the best players in the world were coming into our backyard 40-50 nights a year and the Whale was practically giving away tickets some nights).

To the basketball only's, learn from your mistakes. History will repeat itself.

Ghost of Christmas past

View attachment 15072

View attachment 15071

images
I am a Whaler fan...one who refuses to root for the Hurricanes except to see them lose each and every game they play...a fan who had to find another NHL team to root for after growing up bleeding green & white. My issue is with those who think the NHL will return and that UConn hockey belongs 100% in Hartford.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Basketball built the school. Because of basketball UConn embarked on UConn 2000. Because of basketball UConn went from safety school to what is today. When UConn made the push to top level football, I was behind it. It was the absolute right move to continue to build the school's prestige but the timing was off. We never got to become a stable football power before the ACC started its mission to destroy the Big East.

Born and raised in Fairfield county I started following UConn hoops as a HS senior when the BE played its inaugural basketball season. I fell in love with UConn's hoops and have a fan ever since. I moved around a bit came back to FFld county and have been here for many years. IMO, women's hoops grabbed all our attention when Geno came on board and built his dynasty. My interest fell off because they became too dominant but by that time they had developed their core fan base of older men and women and an entire generation of young girls. The long time FB guys may tell a different story but that is how this men's hoops first guy sees it. FWIW, I am not a UConn alum.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

You are certainly not alone in wondering why our fanbase insists on being fractured. I don't get it either - never have. No other college fanbase in the country goes through constant bickering between football vs hoops fans; mens hoops vs womens hoops fans; etc. Being split absolutely hurts our P5 profile. If everyone who supported hoops also supported football, then there would be absolutely zero questioning of UConn's fanbase. There is no question that we are a basketball school and that is okay. There are other basketball schools who have made a niche inside the P5 - UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Syracuse, Louisville, Kansas - and NONE of those school's fanbases have a football vs basketball split. That's probably the reason why they are in the P5 and we are stuck bickering amongst ourselves in the AAC. So very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom