Tierney Lawlor isn't a "walk-on" anymore... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tierney Lawlor isn't a "walk-on" anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you watched the segment where Geno calls her the most improved player, it is very obvious that he said it in his usual tongue in cheek manner and then laughed it off. This not to take anything away from Tierney"100 RIFLES" Lawlor or Pulido.
Mr Lawlor thanx for the information.

Reaction Score
Great post, David. As usual. Led me to repost my Dec.10 comment:

...makes you really appreciate the relatively thankless yet essential role Tierney Lawlor and Briana Pulido played when last year's squad was short bodies (and the guys are not allowed for road practices). Without them, the team could not have run 5X5 practices and certainly would not have been as prepared for opponents as they were. I give them a lot of credit for the team's incredible 40-0 season, I really do. And they continue their hard work today, contributing in whatever way they can to UConn's success. They understand their role, they know their playing time is going to be infinitesimal, yet I bet they work just as hard as any of the "stars," every day.

Thanks for all your hard work and loyalty, Tierney and Briana. It's not often verbalized, but lots and lots of us really appreciate all you do.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Was Jackie Fernandez a walk-on, or a non-scholarship player ( initially.) Is there a difference?
Walk on as a non recruit. Became a scholarship player.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It is absolutely no knock on TLaw, who has been magnificent, to say that if, for whatever reason, she has not been given a schollie and is not part of the main rotation, that she is still technically a walk-on, no? My hat is definitely off to both her and Polly.
Still prefer just saying she is one of the reserves, since walk-on is used by certain posters to refer to a lesser level of play. But the level of a UConn walk-on, first to be accepted and then after the intense practices, is likely much higher than some scholly players on other teams. Stacey Marron shot 57.5% on 3-pters her first two years at UConn, and I wonder how many scholly players on any team could match that.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
If you watched the segment where Geno calls her the most improved player, it is very obvious that he said it in his usual tongue in cheek manner and then laughed it off. This not to take anything away from Tierney"100 RIFLES" Lawlor or Pulido.
Mr Lawlor thanx for the information.

Wow...so obvious, that only you noticed Geno was just funning us regular folks.... Must be difficult to possess such insight, while the rest of us go through life believing everything Geno says, missing the nuance in his voice.

For the record, I've met Tierney only once and just to say hello. I'm just one of those people who admires her & Pulido's incredible hard work & occasional rewards. Truly a shame you don't as well...

Reaction Score
I am in the camp that the phrase walk on is an honor at UConn not a put down. The University of Nebraska has a long standing walk on program for football - they call them the Black Shirts and are an integral part of the program. Of course there was always Rudy at ND. Some schools have used the moniker Run On instead - and maybe that is something UConn should do because we know there is no walking at Geno's practice. I must admit with the recent games I pay attention to the first 5-10 minutes, the first 5 minutes of the second half and then I am anxious for the last five minutes to see the "walk ons" play. I cheer louder for them than some of the starters.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I found this definition:

WALK ON - an athlete trying out for a team who has not been drafted, specifically invited, scouted, awarded a scholarship, etc.

By that definition, Jackie Fernandes would not be considered a "walk on," since she was specifically invited by Geno to try out for the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Walk on as a non recruit. Became a scholarship player.
Icebear,
not to nitpick here but for NCAA purposes- the minute Geno knocked on her door or saw her play in a high school game or AAU tournament she became a recruit. Even if Geno was not there specifically to see her play.
There are two categories of walkons " Prefereed walkon and walkon. A preferred walkon is one that the coach has been made contact with and the coach is uncertain about offering a scholarship- that agreeement between player and coach is more like come show us what you got and we decide what we give you. I'm not sure if this is by practice or law but basketball coaches at state universities are required to give any student in good academic standing an opportunity to try out for the teams. So if the coach has never even herd of you he must give you an opportunity to tryout-if you make the team you are walk on.

Reaction Score
I am in the camp that the phrase walk on is an honor at UConn not a put down. The University of Nebraska has a long standing walk on program for football - they call them the Black Shirts and are an integral part of the program. Of course there was always Rudy at ND. Some schools have used the moniker Run On instead - and maybe that is something UConn should do because we know there is no walking at Geno's practice. I must admit with the recent games I pay attention to the first 5-10 minutes, the first 5 minutes of the second half and then I am anxious for the last five minutes to see the "walk ons" play. I cheer louder for them than some of the starters.
Sorry but the NU Blackshirts are the defense players. They wear black jerseys in practice. Walk ons are just walk ons.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
From the Huskies Facebook page......Guess who is telling us it's game day!

tlaw_gameday.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I cheer louder for them than some of the starters.
A few years back, not sure if it was for Marron or Czel, but Geno got really pissed about that.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think what we may have here is a contention without a bone. Whether or not she is technically still a walk on, everyone agrees that TLaw is one helluva kid and a valuable asset to the Huskies. If she doesn't yet have a schollie, I hope she gets one. She certainly deserves it.

Reaction Score
I think what we may have here is a contention without a bone. Whether or not she is technically still a walk on, everyone agrees that TLaw is one helluva kid and a valuable asset to the Huskies. If she doesn't yet have a schollie, I hope she gets one. She certainly deserves it.

With Geno, there is no such thing as "deserve". If Geno thinks she has earned a schollie, she will get one. Personally, I am pulling for her to earn one and I think she will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom