Thougts on Gameplan for tomorrow | The Boneyard

Thougts on Gameplan for tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ollie is definitely the kind of coach that wants to impose his will on the other team instead of reacting to what they are doing.

I think we are going to have a speed advantage tomorrow, so I hope we run with them. I would like to see Samuel some in the first half so Napier doesn't need to take plays off while he is on the court. We saw what Napier can do when he is fresh in the second half and the other team is tired.

Boat needs to cut down his 2-3 dumbest decisions. Its strange with Boat, because there is no rhyme or reason to them. Some times he is too aggressive, other times he seems tentative. When Boat plays fundamental defense and doesn't take bad gambles, he is a very tough guy to drive on.

Obviously, we need drive and dishes to the outside shooters. This is true for UConn and this is true for kids playing rec league. An inside out play gives the shooter a cleaner look in a stance where the shooter is better able to maintain shooting form. I bet there is a 10 percentage point difference on 3-pt % between inside out shots and passing around the perimeter and launching one.

Brimah has been posting up well. Feed him, and look for Nolan cutting to the hoop on drives.

Daniels needs to attack and not just settle for 3 pointers. Daniels is second only to Napier in terms of forcing defenders to foul. and he is very hard to cover because he is so quick and long.

Giffey has to stop helping so much on D. I hope at some point a coach will tell us why Giffey was doing this all season.

Brimah needs to play aggressive on d, but don't give away fouls.

What else?

Reaction Score
We need to rebound the basketball. As Pat Riley once said "No rebounds...No rings!" I think this phrase rings true in any pre-game analysis of who will win a basketball game, but is particularly true for this Uconn team.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Transition D and rebounding. If we're effective in both areas, I think we win the game.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
We have played great small ball this year, will be interesting to see who KO puts in

Reaction Score
I'm amazed that the first two tourney teams didn't apply more full court pressure on us. For a team full of guards we struggle at times just throwing the ball in bounds and bringing it up the court. We handle both of those today and we'll be fine.

Reaction Score
I agree we have to take it to the hoop on them. Turn the corner and drop a dime inside on the interior help and outside if defense collapses from the outside. Hopefully this creates foul trouble for ISU.
Can't stand when other teams have a such a big disparity in foul shots on us. Our guards are great but often settle for 3point shots with time expiring.

Take it to this team that has a short bench and with smallish interior defenders.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm amazed that the first two tourney teams didn't apply more full court pressure on us. For a team full of guards we struggle at times just throwing the ball in bounds and bringing it up the court. We handle both of those today and we'll be fine.

I agree.

If UConn can get their bigs in foul trouble, this game could turn for UConn pretty dramatically. Without Niang, they do not have much up front.

UConn's defensive stats, even against better teams, are better than I feel the defense is when I watch them. Iowa State attacks the basket a lot along the seems of the defense, and UConn needs to play better than it has at times this year.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but Iowa State isn't deep enough to do this, and can't take the chance that Kane will get fouls called on him.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
They don't really play anyone (more than 5 minutes/game at least) taller than 6'7, so I'm looking for Brimah to be looking to just go over people all day. I want to see at least 4 attempts by him by the end of the first half.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
AB protects the rim and everyone else stays home for the kickouts - the game doesn't go past low 70s... we're still doomed but I can't resist watching

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You can't do a full court press if you only have 6 guys you can play. St. Joe's had a really good starting lineup, and no one on the bench. Iowa State is in the same boat. That is part of why Louisville kills us, because they can throw multiple good defenders at our guards and where them down.

I don't think Iowa State will slow things down, but they they will play under control. UConn has to be prepared to play 35 seconds of defense on every possession, because Iowa State moves the ball quickly and attacks when they see a weakness or a defender letting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom