Thoughts on the 2015 season ( v long) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the 2015 season ( v long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diaco punted from the SMU 40 on 4th and 10. He went for it on 4th and 1 from the smu 46. punted from the 50 on 4th and 1.

Reaction Score
Diaco punted from the SMU 40 on 4th and 10. He went for it on 4th and 1 from the smu 46. punted from the 50 on 4th and 1.

Somebody should lock Diaco in a film room with the tape from the WVU game in 2010, and then have him write a 1,000 word essay on Bill Stewart's decision to punt late in that game and what it means to him. Then post it on the boneyard so we can all grade it.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Well thought out Whaler, I agree on a lot of points. My biggest problems in coming up with a prediction/expectation are:

1. The total unknown at QB
2. Thoughts and (bad) visions from last year clouding my mind

We know the must wins, but last year's games against Army, USF and Tulane were so so discouraging and Nova is no joke so I can't look at ANY game and say it is an easy win. So if there are no easy wins, how do we find a way to win 3-4-5? I am resigned to the fact that I will have to be happy, win or lose, if we are simply highly competitve in most of these games and show improvement on the offensive side of the ball. If we are going to lose, let it be 33-31, not 13-6 please god.

Reaction Score
Nova
Army
USF
Tulane are the must wins.

Need one more from
Navy
ECU
UCF

And I'll sign for that right now going into the home game with Houston and at Temple with a shot to win one for a bowl bid. That's what a successful season would look like to me. Very doable if we limit mistakes.
Houston's by no means a definite loss.. They have a new coaching staff in place.. new philosophy means adjustments to be made just like we had... so I see a huge opportunity there...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Houston's by no means a definite loss.. They have a new coaching staff in place.. new philosophy means adjustments to be made just like we had... so I see a huge opportunity there...

Last home game with a shot at bowl eligibility would be the most meaningful home game in years. I would expect the crowd to act accordingly

Reaction Score
Last home game with a shot at bowl eligibility would be the most meaningful home game in years. I would expect the crowd to act accordingly

Me too. People seem to forget that our crowds have been aching for something to cheer for, for quite some time. For that miserable UCF game in the rain at Homecoming last year, we were pretty loud -- a lot of fans were huddled under the upper decks and taking timeouts in the john, sure, but we were pretty loud.

We haven't had anything to play for since the Michigan game, but this year could be different. As Pepband99 noted, this year's home/away split is ugly on paper but it may not be bad in the long run, if only because the home games are more winnable. You need to do two things to have a happy fan base -- win home games and play in bowls -- and the home schedule, although not sexy, is set up for a nice bounceback.

I can't wait.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Good write up and responses. I hope the will be signs of progress at the end of the season, but I expect a mixed bag overall and probably 3-4 wins. I suppose ANY progress will be the first that the program has had in a long time, so there's that.

Reaction Score
One thing that will be interesting on the defensive side is how much more complicated the defensive schemes are.
Diaco has commented that it was at a 100 level and will be moving to a 200 level. Hopefully this leads to more pressure on the quarterback - that was a huge ingredient that was missing last season and it's a fairly easy connection as to why they didn't generate many turnovers.

Reading this post again (for at least the tenth time), this comment reminded me of something Belichick once said after his first year with the Patriots, in which they went 5-11 and finished in last place. It was something to the effect of, I'm never going to dumb down my system again. I'm going to coach my system, and the players are going to learn it or they're not going to play.

I recognize that it was his first year with them and their first year with him, but it had to be difficult for both the players and Diaco to get to know one another on such short notice. If Pasqualoni's hiring was meant to be a band-aid, Diaco's was a transplant, and those usually have lengthy recoveries. Another year with each other can only help them implement more advanced schemes, and, as you noted, help us get to the QB more often and more effectively.

So, we should expect us to have the best program in football for the next 15-20 years.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Whaler didn't mention him much, because there really isn't much we know... but to me the key here is Verducci. How much influence does he have over the game. The way I see it crazy Bob had too much influence over the offense. A lot of the in game decisions were baffling and I'm hoping at the very least Verducci can help that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Reading this post again (for at least the tenth time), this comment reminded me of something Belichick once said after his first year with the Patriots, in which they went 5-11 and finished in last place. It was something to the effect of, I'm never going to dumb down my system again. I'm going to coach my system, and the players are going to learn it or they're not going to play.

I recognize that it was his first year with them and their first year with him, but it had to be difficult for both the players and Diaco to get to know one another on such short notice. If Pasqualoni's hiring was meant to be a band-aid, Diaco's was a transplant, and those usually have lengthy recoveries. Another year with each other can only help them implement more advanced schemes, and, as you noted, help us get to the QB more often and more effectively.

So, we should expect us to have the best program in football for the next 15-20 years.

I can only hope that 2014 will be the 5-11 Pats season for UConn football. It certainly did seem that 2014 was more of a scrimmage year than a year that we actually tried to do everything possible to win games. Maybe Diaco had to dumb down his defense last year in order to roll out a defense this year that is more up to his standard. I would never compare any coach to Bill Belichick...it's just not fair. But that 2014 season that we all just suffered through saw very few moments of creativity and game-winning decision making just like Belichick's first year as Patriots head coach, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
I can only hope that 2014 will be the 5-11 Pats season for UConn football. It certainly did seem that 2014 was more of a scrimmage year than a year that we actually tried to do everything possible to win games. Maybe Diaco had to dumb down his defense last year in order to roll out a defense this year that is more up to his standard. I would never compare any coach to Bill Belichick...it's just not fair. But that 2014 season that we all just suffered through saw very few moments of creativity and game-winning decision making just like Belichick's first year as Patriots head coach, that's for sure.
I think the difference between dumbing down our system compared to dumbing down the Patriots system has a lot to do with inexperience all over the place for us.. We're working with 19/20 year old kids that have probably played in just a couple of schemes in their entire lives and some guys who are in new positions that they need to become accustomed to. At least with NFL players, you know that they have had to learn quite a few playbooks and should know how to adjust on the fly. There are a lot of things that were reasonable to disagree with in Diaco's first year, but I don't think simplifying a brand new defense is one of them.

With that said, it's time to ramp it up and cause some havoc this year. We're ready to win games again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can't believe I am actually going to a game a week from now for a team that will be an underdog to an FCS program.

I refuse to believe that Pasqualoni's recruiting was so bad that a team that was competitive in a BCS league just a couple of years ago is now on the verge of a 1-2 win season and multiple curb stompings in a mid-major conference. Diaco shouldn't have been a high school head coach last year, and still makes me cringe every time he opens his mouth. We don't need the players to mature, we need the coach to mature. Diaco was no where near ready to be a Head Coach last year and is learning on the job. I hope he figures something, anything, out this year because there will be 5,000 in the stands by mid season if the team is as bad as it looks right now.

If Diaco is capable of being a Division 1 coach, then UConn should beat Villanova.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I am actually going to a game a week from now for a team that will be an underdog to an FCS program.

I refuse to believe that Pasqualoni's recruiting was so bad that a team that was competitive in a BCS league just a couple of years ago is now on the verge of a 1-2 win season and multiple curb stompings in a mid-major conference. Diaco shouldn't have been a high school head coach last year, and still makes me cringe every time he opens his mouth. We don't need the players to mature, we need the coach to mature. Diaco was no where near ready to be a Head Coach last year and is learning on the job. I hope he figures something, anything, out this year because there will be 5,000 in the stands by mid season if the team is as bad as it looks right now.

If Diaco is capable of being a Division 1 coach, then UConn should beat Villanova.
Nelson...thanks for showing up...and adding complete nonsense as usual. You just forgot about lack of player development under Pasqualoni that's al..but it's ok..

Reaction Score
If we can win 4 games this season, then I think we'll be pretty good next year.

I don't care how good Nova is. Our athletes are bigger, faster and they should be better football players.

If the Huskies can't beat Villanova then it's on coach.

Reaction Score
I expect a key part of our success or failures will depend on Verducci. Does Bob trust him and will he let him call the game? Will he be a competent OC? We can't have a repeat of the USF game and eliminate passing from the game plan.

Looking strictly at the numbers if the defense can improve to a top 30-40 or better defense and the offense can get to top 80, we should be around 5-6 wins. Assuming the defense is as good as we expect, it's the improvement in the offense that will determine if we can get to a bowl.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson...thanks for showing up...and adding complete nonsense as usual. You just forgot about lack of player development under Pasqualoni that's al..but it's ok..

You are right. Diaco was the next coming of Vince Lombardi last year.

Thanks for your nonsense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I expect a key part of our success or failures will depend on Verducci. Does Bob trust him and will he let him call the game? Will he be a competent OC? We can't have a repeat of the USF game and eliminate passing from the game plan.

Looking strictly at the numbers if the defense can improve to a top 30-40 or better defense and the offense can get to top 80, we should be around 5-6 wins. Assuming the defense is as good as we expect, it's the improvement in the offense that will determine if we can get to a bowl.

If we have a Top 40 defense and Top 80 offense, we will be 7-5 or better with our schedule. I don't know that 7-5 is realistic.

The Army game last year may have been the worst defensive play calling I have ever witnessed in a college game. Army is a triple option team that threw three passes all day and our safeties were lined up 15-20 yards off the line of scrimmage the whole game. If there was any doubt that Diaco was in over his head, it was eliminated that day.

We don't have time for on-the-job training. If Diaco is winless after USF and we are getting blown out by bad teams again, Warde has to re-evaluate. Diaco can start showing he belongs at this level by beating Villanova.

Reaction Score

What does it say about you that you watched this team the last two years and don't believe that P didn't leave this team with less than a mediocre FBS roster?

This is the first year that the team has no player who at least got to redshirt under Edsall and his staff. If HCBD is a fine, but not great, coach, it might take more than this year before we know it.

Reaction Score
If we can win 4 games this season, then I think we'll be pretty good next year.

I don't care how good Nova is. Our athletes are bigger, faster and they should be better football players.

If the Huskies can't beat Villanova then it's on coach.
I agree with this. Our defensive front 7, and even our Oline should have a physical advantage over these guys. The only time we didn't have a pronounced advantage in these areas against an FCS opponent it showed up on the scoreboard against Towson. Their Dline was knocking our Oline off the ball almost every snap after the first possession of the game. If Balis is what everyone says he is, in year 2, we should not see that. The loss of Crozier is huge. Really interested to see who winds up being the starting center.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's taken me a while to adjust from the zero level personality of Edsall and the negative four personality of P to the crank it up to eleven personality of Bob.

He obviously still needs some growth as a head coach but, to use his own words, he won the offseason in my book.

Recruiting has a noticeable uptick in buzz, the guys are saying and doing the right things and there have been few off the field issues. Even Bob's rhetoric is more coherent. I've also done a 180 on the civil conflict, it was a good bump for the program provided he wins the game.

Speaking of winning, he acknowledged that winning is what counts. That's good, because last year didn't convince me that he knew that. All that's left is winning games.

I've taken some flack for predicting a bowl berth but until we're out, I'd rather do that than accept a 4 win season as this programs ceiling this year. There is still too much talent on this squad to accept 4 against this schedule.

Reaction Score

Weren't we 5-6 with Cincy coming in after the Louisvile upset in '11?

Reaction Score
Very awesome post Whaler. Did not know what to expect-honestly !!!
Very well written and insightful. (and contrary to the thread title - it WAS NOT long). Eloquently penned !!!
Enjoyed reading your assessments, predictions and probability-tremendous. (I also had them at 4 wins in the predictions barring injuries etc ).
Thank you.

Reaction Score
Weren't we 5-6 with Cincy coming in after the Louisvile upset in '11?

Yes, on a two-game win streak after that win and after handling Pitt. I was so excited for that game, until I went to the Husky Walk.

Those 100+ kids who got off the bus looked like they wanted to be ANYWHERE other than East Hartford on that morning. If it would accomplish anything, I'd name names, but it won't and I won't. After they all filed past us, my buddy and I -- with whom I've been watching games for two decades -- turned to each other and said, "that's not good."

The results on the field matched the looks on their faces. I wish I had been wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom