Thoughts on that debacle | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on that debacle

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Durham needs to get his legs underneath him. Another year after his operations and he may get some hop back into his game.

Reaction Score
Adams isn't just the focal point of the defense, he's the only point of the defense. Crap games happen once in a while. He's literally one of the very few bright spots this season..if you are suffering through a game, at least enjoy him.

Generally, I like positive leaders..but I would have lost it by now with Brimah and Purvis...give Adams a break there.

I don't know why people are so down in the dumps with this program. We three of our for best players between last year and this one (Hamilton, and the two injuries). We are short on depth. Short on offense..Our seniors are having an unexpected putrid season, but it is what it is...

And all that being said, I'm not giving up on this team in the tournament. Crazy as it is..March is Uconn time.

Reaction Score
I'm giving up on this year's team. Does that make me a disloyal and bad fan? Do I get put on double secret probation? Look, I would love nothing more than to take a section of a game where we played well and transpose that into us winning the AAC but the only person I would be trying to fool is myself. Speaking strictly from a basketball skills perspectivebecause we know that these kids are nice and try hard playing for U, we are a terribly bad team. We never addressed our big situation and relied on a wish and a prayer, improvement. Amida never got the message or if he did he could not deliver. Purvis a 5th year player, was supposed to be improving also but instead has played like a high school reserve guard. He was supposed to be scoring 20 points a game for us but likes to throw the ball away and double dribble instead. The one kid who did improve Facey just can't do it by himself. Adams is progressing nicely but with the defensive focus on him as the only player who can hurt the opposing team, he is going to be smothered. The freshman are coming on but a shortened roster magnifies AB's and Rodney;s deficiencies. We are going nowhere and will not sniff the NIT but I will watch and cheer for inprovement in next year's returnees. I would bench AB and Purvis and play walk ons at times, not sending a message but the walk ons might actually be better than them.

Reaction Score
I'm giving up on this year's team. Does that make me a disloyal and bad fan? Do I get put on double secret probation? Look, I would love nothing more than to take a section of a game where we played well and transpose that into us winning the AAC but the only person I would be trying to fool is myself. Speaking strictly from a basketball skills perspectivebecause we know that these kids are nice and try hard playing for U, we are a terribly bad team. We never addressed our big situation and relied on a wish and a prayer, improvement. Amida never got the message or if he did he could not deliver. Purvis a 5th year player, was supposed to be improving also but instead has played like a high school reserve guard. He was supposed to be scoring 20 points a game for us but likes to throw the ball away and double dribble instead. The one kid who did improve Facey just can't do it by himself. Adams is progressing nicely but with the defensive focus on him as the only player who can hurt the opposing team, he is going to be smothered. The freshman are coming on but a shortened roster magnifies AB's and Rodney;s deficiencies. We are going nowhere and will not sniff the NIT but I will watch and cheer for inprovement in next year's returnees. I would bench AB and Purvis and play walk ons at times, not sending a message but the walk ons might actually be better than them.

I'm not sure what you're giving up on the team means? Are you saying you want the focus to be on next year and not this? That is a valid point of view, but there is no way to know if clipping Amida or Rodney's minutes, especially with a depleted roster, won't in fact harm or hinder the development of Jackson and Adams. It very could. As for the walk-on argument, I am absolutely shaking my head at how preposterous that sounds.

Reaction Score
This season has been over from a competitive standpoint for weeks. And we didn't hit rock bottom yet. It is very likely to get a lot worse. We just have to hope Jackson, Vital an Adams get valuable experience and move on. Maybe a surprising win or two to keep things interesting.

Reaction Score
As for the walk-on argument, I am absolutely shaking my head at how preposterous that sounds.

You'd think that after watching the walk-ons struggle to get the ball past mid-court or pass the ball around the perimeter without getting stripped people would internalize how dumb it is but this is the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
This season has been over from a competitive standpoint for weeks. And we didn't hit rock bottom yet. It is very likely to get a lot worse. We just have to hope Jackson, Vital an Adams get valuable experience and move on. Maybe a surprising win or two to keep things interesting.

Why is it very likely to get a lot worse? I don't see any teams left on the schedule better than the one that bent them over a table last night.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why is it very likely to get a lot worse? I don't see any teams left on the schedule better than the one that bent them over a table last night.
Because the team is so demoralized right now they probably have little fight left. The weaker programs had no expectations this season. They shoulder less weight and that is significant going forward. I hope 80s and I are wrong but I never underplay emotional reaction to things.

Reaction Score
Because the team is so demoralized right now they probably have little fight left. The weaker programs had no expectations this season. They shoulder less weight and that is significant going forward. I hope 80s and I are wrong but I never underplay emotional reaction to things.

I give Ollie more credit than that. I think these kids will fight. The problem last night was Purvis and Brimah not providing senior leadership. They can't let the refs get into their heads like that. They have to be much tougher than that.

I a concerned about the zone though. It ain't working.

Reaction Score
Adams hadn't been confronted with type of defense this season.

Adams is much more effective when he looks to distribute first and score when the opportunity is there. Last night I thought he looked to score first, but maybe that was because no one else was doing anything.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I give Ollie more credit than that. I think these kids will fight. The problem last night was Purvis and Brimah not providing senior leadership. They can't let the refs get into their heads like that. They have to be much tougher than that.

I a concerned about the zone though. It ain't working.
Good point about the refs. Hope you are correct.

Regarding the zone what choice do you have with only seven players suiting up and two in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Good point about the refs. Hope you are correct.

Regarding the zone what choice do you have with only seven players suiting up and two in foul trouble.

Little choice, but I almost prefer you go down fighting. Man-to-man, throw caution to the wind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom