Thoughts on that debacle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on that debacle

Reaction Score
If we don't win 4 out of our next 5 then I'll be really worried, but until then. (ECU, @USF, TUL, @CIN, USF for those too lazy to look it up). No excuse to lose to any of those outside Cincy (road house of horrors pt deux).
You aren't worried? We are 7-11 and having our worst season in 30 years.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
You aren't worried? We are 7-11 and having our worst season in 30 years.
No, I'm delusional and haven't taken off my blue tinted homer glasses:rolleyes: Head bang.

This has been the most disappointing and painful season to watch as fan. Why you guys want to rip apart my comment saying we should absolutely beat the dregs of this conference which they conveniently play back to back to back is beyond me. This team has been awful like you said, so playing a stretch like this at this point can do nothing but help. I don't care how bad they've been to this point, it's a lost season that's a moot point. Just because I won't post depressing facts doesn't mean I'm not worried how things have gone.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I meant more as in benched from starting role. Purvis will start rest of season, but his minutes should be cut back to under 30 and probably less of that. It's over for him and we should stop investing him, but do so in a way that isn't obvious and embarrassing for him.
I understood what you meant. I'm saying Rodney was benched in the second half and that didn't solve anything. Just giving players minutes won't eliminate the funk players will get into if they continue to lose. In fact it could have an adverse effect for next season.

Personally I'm not sure there is a solution and just throwing things against the wall hoping they'll stick seldom works.

This season is the perfect storm and a perfect opportunity for us couch coaches to demonstrate we've got the best handle on things. No one can call us out for our suggestions. I've got my flak vest on because this season has more ugliness to go imo.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
No, I'm delusional and haven't taken off my blue tinted homer glasses:rolleyes: Head bang.

This has been the most disappointing and painful season to watch as fan. Why you guys want to rip apart my comment saying we should absolutely beat the dregs of this conference which they conveniently play back to back to back is beyond me. This team has been awful like you said, so playing a stretch like this at this point can do nothing but help. I don't care how bad they've been to this point, it's a lost season that's a moot point. Just because I won't post depressing facts doesn't mean I'm not worried how things have gone.
Nothing is given. This idea that 'we're' UConn and can't have these types of seasons or that we are 'supposed' to beat a certain team is ludicrous. This is not the women's forum.

The team is in a tailspin and in spite of talent differences the psyche of people almost predicts that unexpected losses have a greater adverse affect on people than when teams are prepared for worse case scenarios. I'm not predicting losses for this team over the next several games but I have no confidence there will be victories either.

I'm concerned about the program. I'm invested in it emotionally. But worry? I'm trying my best to eliminate that as much as possible especially for things outside my control. Besides I've had a lot of preparation with adversity having followed UConn football for a while. The men's bb team has a lot of catching up to do to match the past six seasons. It would be a shame to see it drop from the national scene for good. However I'm sure most of us will survive.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Nothing is given. This idea that 'we're' UConn and can't have these types of seasons or that we are 'supposed' to beat a certain team is ludicrous. This is not the women's forum.

The team is in a tailspin and in spite of talent differences the psyche of people almost predicts that unexpected losses have a greater adverse affect on people than when teams are prepared for worse case scenarios. I'm not predicting losses for this team over the next several games but I have no confidence there will be victories either.

I'm concerned about the program. I'm invested in it emotionally. But worry? I'm trying my best to eliminate that as much as possible especially for things outside my control. Besides I've had a lot of preparation with adversity having followed UConn football for a while. The men's bb team has a lot of catching up to do to match the past six seasons. It would be a shame to see it drop from the national scene for good. However I'm sure most of us will survive.
What? How you got that from my post is ridiculous. Some of you people are insufferable. Nowhere did I deny how bad we've been or how we can't dominate this conference. Just because we're not 25-5 every year means we're in a tailspin. We've won 2 of the last 6 titles, I don't care how fluky they were. If we have back to back losing seasons I'll hit the red alert but until then continue to question my fandom.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's fairly simple. UConn is horrific by their usual standards. Tulane, East Carolina and USF can't fog a mirror.

Taking something from those games is like taking something from wins of Eastern or Wesleyan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh well I guess it's good to know that we won't die if UConn doesn't have a good basketball team.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
What? How you got that from my post is ridiculous. Some of you people are insufferable. Nowhere did I deny how bad we've been or how we can't dominate this conference. Just because we're not 25-5 every year means we're in a tailspin. We've won 2 of the last 6 titles, I don't care how fluky they were. If we have back to back losing seasons I'll hit the red alert but until then continue to question my fandom.
Just responding to your statement UConn should win the next four or so games. As to the rest of my post I'm not sure you read it accurately. You were responding how you would deal with things concerning the season and the future. I was expressing how I plan to approach it. I didn't mean to imply you are doing it wrong. I'm definitely not questioning your fandom. I actually agree with you about the red alert.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Oh well I guess it's good to know that we won't die if UConn doesn't have a good basketball team.
Hope it helps. Just for enlightenment, what's your skin in all of this?

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Just responding to your statement UConn should win the next four or so games. As to the rest of my post I'm not sure you read it accurately. You were responding how you would deal with things concerning the season and the future. I was expressing how I plan to approach it. I didn't mean to imply you are doing it wrong. I'm definitely not questioning your fandom. I actually agree with you about the red alert.
I don't think you got the point of my post. They were beyond terrible tonight the most painful game to watch this season, but again not an unexpected result. So when I said I'd worry if we somehow manage to lose to one of the 3 bottom feeders was in comparison to losing in a place we've never won to a top 2 team in the league. No where in that original post did I say I wasn't distraught by our play in this conference and how we can't dominate the regular season. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, I appreciate your response here.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't think you got the point of my post. They were beyond terrible tonight the most painful game to watch this season, but again not an unexpected result. So when I said I'd worry if we somehow manage to lose to one of the 3 bottom feeders was in comparison to losing in a place we've never won to a top 2 team in the league. No where in that original post did I say I wasn't distraught by our play in this conference and how we can't dominate the regular season. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, I appreciate your response here.
Gottcha. Missed that.

And to repeat myself just to make sure I was clear, this team is in a bad tailspin morality wise. I would not be surprised if they lose one or more of the next four games. As you can see from the degree and number of fear responses after today's game it's only human nature to continue to spiral negatively when there is a succession of bad things happening. And playing to exhaustion because the team is shorthanded isn't helping matters.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Gottcha. Missed that.

And to repeat myself just to make sure I was clear, this team is in a bad tailspin morality wise. I would not be surprised if they lose one or more of the next four games. As you can see from the degree and number of fear responses after today's game it's only human nature to continue to spiral negatively when there is a succession of bad things happening. And playing to exhaustion because the team is shorthanded isn't helping matters.
I get what you're saying morality wise, I guess we'll see.

Reaction Score
It's totally unacceptable we get blown out down there every game. I like Durham's potential but he's a freak that reminds you of Anthony Davis? That sounds like some serious hyperbole.

I wouldn't say it's hyperbole because I'm only comparing them stylistically. Kind of like it's not hyperbole to say Larrier reminds you of Paul George or Adams reminds you of Kyrie.

With Durham, you can visualize the prototype even as he trudges through the tender stages of his road back. First thing that jumps out at you is his wingspan - 7'3+. That's rare, especially when he's proven capable of moving his feet well on the perimeter. Hell, Ollie has plugged him in at the three from time to time - the sheer thought of a man his size playing the three is freakish. He also looks like he knows how to play basketball, which isn't something I take for granted anymore after our last few big's.

He's a damn rail right now. He's not a D-1 player from a strength standpoint - he gets tossed around out there in a way that makes Brimah look like DeAndre Joran. That's not surprising considering his injuries, and it's also not surprising that he moves so tentatively. He doesn't trust the knee yet. I don't know if he ever will. You hope he's not another Omar Calhoun type who never can come all the way back from devastating injuries. He's one of those guys where I vacillate between wondering what might be and what could have been. You wonder just how much a kid like that would have blown up on the circuit w/o the injuries, because he's the rare bread where you pretty much throw the ceiling out based on some of his physical attributes.

Reaction Score
^ my view on Durham as well. He just oozes talent and there are moments when he forgets about his knees and makes an assertive play. But then most other times when the tentativeness takes over. He could be a huge star or a sad tale of "what if." I agree with you that if he had not gotten hurt in high school, he ends up a top 10-20 recruit considering size and skillset.

Reaction Score
Something seemed "off" teamwise last night. Looked that way to me anyway.
1. Didn't like the way Adams spouted off so many times at his teamates. I believe he should shut up most times and direct his energy elsewhere.
2. Rodney, mmm....too bad Foxen was injured...;)
3. Vance Jackson tried to the very end. Props to him. Gonna be good. Had a good game.
4. Not having Enoch hurt, though he's critisized for his "d".
5. Jalen shot so poorly, one would think only his body and mouth showed up.. brain somewhaere else,..kids got talent, but seems he's hurting himself and the team. Time to "zip-it" as Barney once said, and grow up.
6. Did like the way Ollie was involved without quitting on the team.
Need some Kembaness...

Reaction Score
While I agree Purvis has warranted getting benched (again), I don't see it happening. As a 5th year senior that has given this program many minutes (albeit mostly bad ones this season), I just don't think Ollie will pull the plug in addition to I don't think the optics look great to the players, recruits, etc.

You could always let him have the starting role in name and just give Vital more minutes. Same effect just a lot more subtle and not as obvious that people would notice too much. Maybe I'm overdramatizing, but just a thought.

I am not saying KO will bench Purvis, but I think he should.

I disagree on the optics. Recruits want to know the best players will play. Most Recruits think they will be the best player at their position on a team. A coach who shows the world he will give a Senior a lot of rope, but isn't afraid to play a hotter (maybe) hand would score points with potential recruits.

To other post, KO has a ring and has recruited rather well. His team got hit by a large and insatiable injury bug this year. He doesn't need a pass, an no half decent AD would even consider firing him.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thought of taking the 9 1/2 points last night hasn't watched either team. SMU can make open 10-15 footers in regularity and they were going to get them. And they crash the offensive boards like no one else, most teams should take a page from this.

Anyone saying Jalen Adams needs to "zip it and grow up" only watched last nights game. He's been playing very well and anyone playing 40 minutes a game at PG on a team with very few answers is allowed a night or 2 of bad basketball. Heck half of his team does that 3 out of 4 games so how much fun is he and Kentan having? Relax and watch the game, he's been good!

Reaction Score
Anyone who thought of taking the 9 1/2 points last night hasn't watched either team. SMU can make open 10-15 footers in regularity and they were going to get them. And they crash the offensive boards like no one else, most teams should take a page from this.

Anyone saying Jalen Adams needs to "zip it and grow up" only watched last nights game. He's been playing very well and anyone playing 40 minutes a game at PG on a team with very few answers is allowed a night or 2 of bad basketball. Heck half of his team does that 3 out of 4 games so how much fun is he and Kentan having? Relax and watch the game, he's been good!
how much did you win?

Reaction Score

Adams' floor game has gotten a lot better, but he's also 20 for 62 from the field in his last five games. Not particularly surprising considering he's the focal point of the scouting report, but he needs to be better for this team to win. He'll put it all together eventually.

Reaction Score
If you want to see bad recruiting, then let's have threads intimating that next year is Ollie's last year.

Reaction Score
Adams' floor game has gotten a lot better, but he's also 20 for 62 from the field in his last five games. Not particularly surprising considering he's the focal point of the scouting report, but he needs to be better for this team to win. He'll put it all together eventually.
Well he is a very inconsistent shooter, he is streaky and can get hot, but if you take away those friendly rims in Maui he is shooting 36% from the field and 29% from 3. That is not very good and a regression from last year.

Jackson is becoming a decent shooter but this team does not have one guy who can reliably knock down a shot. Jackson is shooting 36% from 3 and leading the team, the '14 team had 4 guys who had higher percentages.

I know this is not deep insight but if you do not have anyone who can consistently put the ball in the basket you are going to be a very bad basketball team.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Adams had a horrible game.

He does seem to have come to the realization that he must put others in front of himself. Which is good. But he couldn't perform when he he had to put the team on his shoulders. In truth, he kind of got lost.

Adams hadn't been confronted with type of defense this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom