Thoughts on that debacle | The Boneyard

Thoughts on that debacle

Reaction Score
I didn't have us at 7-11 right now, but I did know what was going to happen in this game. There is only one thing that ever happens when we play at Moody, if history is our guide. We've seen this exact game four times in a row. Maybe not this bad, but close.

-It's just a really bad match-up, first of all, even by our standards. Everybody on their roster is between 6'3 and 6'8, and all of them are well-built, mobile types who can switch pretty much 1-5. They're probably literally the only team in the country that can do that and against a team like UConn it's lights out pretty quick.

-Brimah is definitely among the most frustrating players ever to play here, but for some reason I'm not mad at him for the T. One reflexive expression of anger in four years...I'll live. What we haven't lived with is his fouling. He's basically Grayson Allen except instead of tripping people he fouls.

-Adams isn't there yet. Jumper isn't good enough, and although it's unreasonable to ask him to play 40 minutes every night, I have the suspicion that he's not the most well-conditioned athlete we've ever had.

-I like the freshman. Granted, I'm sure I said that about Brimah and Purvis at points in their career, but still. Jackson looks like a keeper and Vital, in my completely unofficial opinion, just seems to have the make-up that you want. Durham is kind of a freak and continues to remind me of Anthony Davis. I'd like to get him as much tick as possible.

-Still not sure why Facey doesn't get more shots.

-Every starter for SMU had at least 2 assists and they finished with 22 on the game. Watching them, you'd never know Larry Brown left. This game is a great chance for some of these players to learn just how much you have to invest to be great defensively. What you saw tonight won't cut it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I didn't have us at 7-11 right now, but I did know what was going to happen in this game. There is only one thing that ever happens when we play at Moody, if history is our guide. We've seen this exact game four times in a row. Maybe not this bad, but close.

-It's just a really bad match-up, first of all, even by our standards. Everybody on their roster is between 6'3 and 6'8, and all of them are well-built, mobile types who can switch pretty much 1-5. They're probably literally the only team in the country that can do that and against a team like UConn it's lights out pretty quick.

-Brimah is definitely among the most frustrating players ever to play here, but for some reason I'm not mad at him for the T. One reflexive expression of anger in four years...I'll live. What we haven't lived with is his fouling. He's basically Grayson Allen except instead of tripping people he fouls.

-Adams isn't there yet. Jumper isn't good enough, and although it's unreasonable to ask him to play 40 minutes every night, I have the suspicion that he's not the most well-conditioned athlete we've ever had.

-I like the freshman. Granted, I'm sure I said that about Brimah and Purvis at points in their career, but still. Jackson looks like a keeper and Vital, in my completely unofficial opinion, just seems to have the make-up that you want. Durham is kind of a freak and continues to remind me of Anthony Davis. I'd like to get him as much tick as possible.

-Every starter for SMU had at least 2 assists and they finished with 22 on the game. Watching them, you'd never know Larry Brown left. This game is a great chance for some of these players to learn just how much you have to invest to be great defensively. What you saw tonight won't cut it.
Agree with everything other than Adams. Other than his turnovers his jumper was there but it seemed every shot rattled in and out.

SMU had all point forwards and would have five on the perimeter, move the ball, and either shoot a three , set a screen and either shoot a three or slip the screener to the hoop, or drive and dump for a short jumper. Three things all game but every could dribble and pass.

Every rides on how Adams plays bc we don't know what to get out of purvis and Vance is playing great but he's a freshmen and will face defensive a he won't know how to handle. But facey needs to touch the ball almost every trip down

Reaction Score
I write neither to extrapolate too much on one game nor feed the doom and gloomers, but tonight should be a reminder to anyone that even with the injured players (hopefully) back at the same level next year, the expectations should be tempered. Our frontcourt next year depends on so many variables - Enoch making the jump, Durham finding his confidence, Diarra healthy, a freshman can contribute.....
If Adams leaves, we're really in trouble. With him back, we have Vital, who I like but I think will contribute most as a senior, a coming-off-injury Gilbert, MAL as a freshman.....
Larrier is a nice piece, but is he the same after injury? Does Vance make the leap?
There are a lot of questions next year. I'm actually optimistic, and write this more for those who think next year we should automatically return to being a ranked team and, if not, that KO should be gone

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I write neither to extrapolate too much on one game nor feed the doom and gloomers, but tonight should be a reminder to anyone that even with the injured players (hopefully) back at the same level next year, the expectations should be tempered. Our frontcourt next year depends on so many variables - Enoch making the jump, Durham finding his confidence, Diarra healthy, a freshman can contribute.....
If Adams leaves, we're really in trouble. With him back, we have Vital, who I like but I think will contribute most as a senior, a coming-off-injury Gilbert, MAL as a freshman.....
Larrier is a nice piece, but is he the same after injury? Does Vance make the leap?
There are a lot of questions next year. I'm actually optimistic, and write this more for those who think next year we should automatically return to being a ranked team and, if not, that KO should be gone
Nice post until the last four words. I bit

Reaction Score

Anthony Davis? Shot blocking extraordinaire, backboard-eating Anthony Davis?

Reaction Score
Adams had a horrible game.

He does seem to have come to the realization that he must put others in front of himself. Which is good. But he couldn't perform when he he had to put the team on his shoulders. In truth, he kind of got lost.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The trap door should have fallen out from under the people who thought the Georgetown game represented any sort of progress.

It's a bad team with no depth and marginal coaching. Brimah, bless his enthusiastic soul, wants no part of these games. He'll foul himself out of a tough matchup just to get off the floor.

There are some bright spots for next year, but they're still easily outnumbered by question marks. The biggest of them involve the front court and the competency of the coaching staff.

We're not in a good spot.

Reaction Score
The trap door should have fallen out from under the people who thought the Georgetown game represented any sort of progress.

It's a bad team with no depth and marginal coaching. Brimah, bless his enthusiastic soul, wants no part of these games. He'll foul himself out of a tough matchup just to get off the floor.

There are some bright spots for next year, but they're still easily outnumbered by question marks. The biggest of them involve the front court and the competency of the coaching staff.

That's why we NEED a grad transfer/JUCO big man in this upcoming class. I haven't been as enthusiastic about the last couple seasons beforehand as most people on here, but I think if we get a rebounder for next season and most of the team progresses/stays healthy, next year I believe we could be really good.

Reaction Score

It's totally unacceptable we get blown out down there every game. I like Durham's potential but he's a freak that reminds you of Anthony Davis? That sounds like some serious hyperbole.

Reaction Score
I like the freshmen a lot.

How does Facey go 6 - 9 in a blowout? 6 - 9, only 9 shots....how? While Jalen and Purvis go a combined 1 for 14. Speaking of which.................

Purvis....time for him to be our 6th man. Play Vital and get him ready for next year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anthony Davis? Shot blocking extraordinaire, backboard-eating Anthony Davis?

Next you are going to tell us that Brimah isn't like Allen who averaged 22/5/3 his sophmore year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

We just did this:

We watched bright people twist themselves into pretzels defending Bob Diaco.

The depths to which this basketball program has sunk is impossible.

We've got Kevin Ollie leading this team into the abyss and TRUSTEE Donny Marshall shanking the athletic program on national TV.

Since our fanbase loves the past they both get a pass.

Hopefully Athletic Director Dave isn't so emotional about the basketball program. Unless things are fixed quickly we need to decide if we are serious about competiting.

Reaction Score
Ollie gets a pass this year because of injuries but he's running out of free passes. I knew it was going to be a rough season once two of our best players went down but there is no way it should be this bad. The usual suspects have already pulled out a bunch of excuses for why we won't be good next season. Still too young, too many new pieces for them to really gel, Ollie is still hamstrung by sanctions yada yada yada. If we don't finish near the top of this godforsaken conference and get ourselves a bid next season, KO is on the hot seat.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I agree.

I just wonder how the board will react when Benedict brings back Dee Rowe.

They'll go nuts about the token award the BB HOF gave him because his actual HOF case was so laughable (love Dee, but c'mon people).

Reaction Score
I like the freshmen a lot.

How does Facey go 6 - 9 in a blowout? 6 - 9, only 9 shots....how? While Jalen and Purvis go a combined 1 for 14. Speaking of which.......

Purvis....time for him to be our 6th man. Play Vital and get him ready for next year.

While I agree Purvis has warranted getting benched (again), I don't see it happening. As a 5th year senior that has given this program many minutes (albeit mostly bad ones this season), I just don't think Ollie will pull the plug in addition to I don't think the optics look great to the players, recruits, etc.

You could always let him have the starting role in name and just give Vital more minutes. Same effect just a lot more subtle and not as obvious that people would notice too much. Maybe I'm overdramatizing, but just a thought.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
While I agree Purvis has warranted getting benched (again), I don't see it happening. As a 5th year senior that has given this program many minutes (albeit mostly bad ones this season), I just don't think Ollie will pull the plug in addition to I don't think the optics look great to the players, recruits, etc.

You could always let him have the starting role in name and just give Vital more minutes. Same effect just a lot more subtle and not as obvious that people would notice too much. Maybe I'm overdramatizing, but just a thought.
He was benched. Didn't start the second half. Didn't help.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
If we don't win 4 out of our next 5 then I'll be really worried, but until then. (ECU, @USF, TUL, @CIN, USF for those too lazy to look it up). No excuse to lose to any of those outside Cincy (road house of horrors pt deux).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If we don't win 4 out of our next 5 then I'll be really worried, but until then. (ECU, @USF, TUL, @CIN, USF for those too lazy to look it up). No excuse to lose to any of those outside Cincy (road house of horrors pt deux).

As long as we are beating teams ranked 225-275 there is nothing to sweat.

Reaction Score
He was benched. Didn't start the second half. Didn't help.

I meant more as in benched from starting role. Purvis will start rest of season, but his minutes should be cut back to under 30 and probably less of that. It's over for him and we should stop investing him, but do so in a way that isn't obvious and embarrassing for him.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
As long as we are beating teams ranked 225-275 there is nothing to sweat.
Exactly, but who didn't expect this tonight. 3 places we've looked like crap and never win are moody, improper fraction and KFC. All I'm saying is this the schedule gives room for some confidence building games and improvement. USF, ECU and Tulane are a different kind of terrible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Exactly, but who didn't expect this tonight. 3 places we've looked like crap and never win are moody, improper fraction and KFC. All I'm saying is this the schedule gives room for some confidence building games and improvement. USF, ECU and Tulane are a different kind of terrible.

This season is so far beyond confidence building and improvement. Yeah they will probably beat 3 of the worst teams that play in legitimate leagues. There is nothing to take away, there is no confidence to be gained. The second they play a team with a pulse they will get dismantled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom