THOUGHTS ON LOSSES BY 7 POINTS OR LESS | The Boneyard

THOUGHTS ON LOSSES BY 7 POINTS OR LESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
since 2006 uconn has lost 18 games by 7 pts or less. i know there are various scenarios why, but we seem to be competitve but just can't get over the hump....thoughts & reactions....

2006- 2L total 9 pts
2007- 1L 1pt
2008- 2L 6pts
2009- 5L 15pts - i thought this was the most mentally tuff team we had (jaspers death)
2010 - 1L 3pts
2011 - 3L 14pts
2012 - 4L 19pts

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So even with the year Howard was murdered, they were 14-11. That doesn't seem unreasonable without looking at the quality of teams they played.

Under this staff they are 4-7. Buffalo/Maryland/USF/Syracuse. USF and Syracuse were 2-12 combined in the league and Buffalo is Buffalo...

Reaction Score
That's the difference between a good team and a mediocre one. Failing to execute ie. botched snaps, turnovers, dumb penalties will make or break a team. The year they went to BCS they win those type of nailbiters. You make the plays and eliminate the bone-headed ones you typically win. My biggest problem is theirs no identity with this team. Who is Uconn now? What philosophy are they? All I see is multiple formations on both sides, which = confusion. They should use K.I.S.S. This is for GDL, Keep It Simple Stupid! Atleast before we had a bend don't break defense, and a smashmouth style running attack. Now we have sometimes Wildcat, some i, some hb draw, some TE Seam, some dropback/shotgun which = nothing. What happened to a good ole toss play?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think it says we are very mediocre. The Big East is such that if a team wants to dominate, it's there for the taking. Louisville is doing it. One hell of a hire they made in Strong.

We need fewer games decided by 1 score. The defense is doing it's part there. To beat a dead horse, the offense is not.

Reaction Score
That's the difference between a good team and a mediocre one. Failing to execute ie. botched snaps, turnovers, dumb penalties will make or break a team. The year they went to BCS they win those type of nailbiters. You make the plays and eliminate the bone-headed ones you typically win. My biggest problem is theirs no identity with this team. Who is Uconn now? What philosophy are they? All I see is multiple formations on both sides, which = confusion. They should use K.I.S.S. This is for GDL, Keep It Simple Stupid! Atleast before we had a bend don't break defense, and a smashmouth style running attack. Now we have sometimes Wildcat, some i, some hb draw, some TE Seam, some dropback/shotgun which = nothing. What happened to a good ole toss play?

Dude - you nailed it. That slippery, amorphous, psychology word - IDENTITY. I don't necessarily agree with the KISS principle as you describe it here, my issue is with allowing for and making use of adequate practice time for what we want to do on the field - because based on the results - it does not seem that we are well practiced with many things - like snaps, and handoffs, and such.

Confusion? Chaos? that most certainly can be something to label as an "identity". THe defense, is basically doing it. An offense can do the same thing. But you have to go out on the field....and excuse my while I vomit for a second......EXECUTE. You don't have to be the strict, same formations, same plays over and over team we were in the past, to have an "IDENTITY".

What you need to have an identity, is three things in, leadership, accountability, and results.

Right now, our leadership, accountability and results point to an identity that is a good defense, and a bad offense.

If you want the results to change, if you want the identity to change, the leadership and accountability and results have to change.

Knowing, where and how you tweak, an organization the size of a division 1 football program to make that happen, is why the head coaches make six figure salaries.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on the defense though either, leaving sophomore safeties who clearly blow assignments on an island when the blitz doesn't get there isn't a great philosophy. Kudos to Brown in switching up the Defense vs SF. when he saw that the pressure D wasn't working, i think it was the 2nd quarter. Also tired of seeing Jory Johnson trying to cover slot receivers, actually any lb covering a wr. This isn't the NFL. But it all falls to the o-line in which we all knew was the trouble spot since the spring game and is still not fixed. Would like to see more young guys in there for the last 3 games for the experience.

Reaction Score
I agree with all of that joey, and I'll add that jory, is probably not the kind of runner, that is going to be burning up stop watches, but he understands the game, and is always around the ball, and the funny thing about linebackers like him, when you don't hear his name, or notice him at all, that's probably when a defense like ours, is playing it's very best. I think Jory is one of the best players we've got,and my gut tells me, probably one of hte best leaders. We've got some fast linebackers waiting in the wings though.

I'll also add, that lathough these things are all true, if we had an offense that could generate a measely 17 points a game, on 10-12 possessions without turning it over too much, we'd probably be undefeated right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom