thoughts on Andrew Breiner | The Boneyard

thoughts on Andrew Breiner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just wondering what you guys think about that guy... He was on our staff in some capacity back in 2010 and 2011, then worked on under Moorhead at Fordham... Now HC at Fordham coming off a 8-3 record... The offense lights it up... Thoughts????

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
One year as a HC at Fordham isn't going to impress anyone as a reason to hire him based on that experience.

He'd need a truck full of other references.

I know the past Letterman are pushing Wholley. I don't have an issue with him being considered for staff but if they are pushing him as a HC candidate then they are way off base.

We are likely going to need to make another leap of faith like we did with Diaco, but both those guys are a reach IMO.

Reaction Score
Just wondering what you guys think about that guy... He was on our staff in some capacity back in 2010 and 2011, then worked on under Moorhead at Fordham... Now HC at Fordham coming off a 8-3 record... The offense lights it up... Thoughts????
my reservation is with just one year at Fordham, he is still working off of Moorhead recruits etc, ... would want someone who has actually turned a program around .

Reaction Score
One year as a HC at Fordham isn't going to impress anyone as a reason to hire him based on that experience.

He'd need a truck full of other references.

I know the past Letterman are pushing Wholley. I don't have an issue with him being considered for staff but if they are pushing him as a HC candidate then they are way off base.

We are likely going to need to make another leap of faith like we did with Diaco, but both those guys are a reach IMO.

I don't think anyone is pushing for Wholly as head coach. I think they just want him to get a chance in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is pushing for Wholly as head coach. I think they just want him to get a chance in Storrs.
would love to see Wholley back as an assistant up in Storrs... All around good dude.. and an alumn...Something we seem to be excluding with each coaching hire... bad idea....

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Having a guy with some love for the place would be good, but it's far down on my list.

That is the kind of discussion you have after two or three HC's move on after getting better jobs because they won so much.

Reaction Score
We need to start addressing the having alumns coaching thing NOW... The last time we've had success was when we at least had Lyndon Johnson (Brien McMahon HS grad/UConn Grad) as a part of the coaching staff with Edsall... We have zilch now... At least Coach P didn't try to transform us into nonexistence. Diaco alienated former players/guys with ties to UConn, while changing the culture to reflect his NJ red (RU kidding me) ties... Can't/Shouldn't do that this time around.

Reaction Score
We need to start addressing the having alumns coaching thing NOW... The last time we've had success was when we at least had Lyndon Johnson (Brien McMahon HS grad/UConn Grad) as a part of the coaching staff with Edsall... We have zilch now... At least Coach P didn't try to transform us into nonexistence. Diaco alienated former players/guys with ties to UConn, while changing the culture to reflect his NJ red (RU kidding me) ties... Can't/Shouldn't do that this time around.
@ktuck911 you are WAY off base about Diaco alienating former players. This has been brought up here before and refuted. Diaco is gone..time to move on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Having a guy with some love for the place would be good, but it's far down on my list.

That is the kind of discussion you have after two or three HC's move on after getting better jobs because they won so much.

Would Dan O want to be a QB coach?

Reaction Score
You need a name this time, someone who can go out and get a better quality athlete so that the Huskies can actually compete in their own league as well as build towards competing on a top 25 level. To me, so far Les Miles or Greg Schiano seem the closest to fill that need. But this is still Connecticut and everyone before them has struggled to recruit a plethora of P-5 talent. Andrew Breiner and Mike Houston aren't recruiting at the BCS level so why do you think they are qualified for the job?

Reaction Score
I watched a lot of Fordham football this year. They play a fun brand of football to watch and score a lot of points. They also have the all-everything Chase Edmonds, who has a shot to be the FCS' all-time leading rusher. My take on Breiner is he needs more time. You're right that the current Fordham squad consists largely of Moorehead recruits. It's defense has been very sub par.

That said, Fordham is usually good at spotting young football coaching talent early (not so for the Fordham basketball program). In addition to Moorehead, Dave Clawson (the current HC at Wake Forest) coached there for a number of years.

Reaction Score
I am a Fordham Alum and follow the football program closely. I would be extremely disappointed if UConn went for Breiner at this stage. He is an untested 1st year coach who did pretty well (not outstanding) with Moorhead's players including an All-American running back. His defense was horrific and most Fordham fans are apprehensive about the future of the program.

Only good reason I see going for him is that UConn needs to pay-off the BD buyout quickly and can get this guy for very cheap (800K or so)

Reaction Score

This is just not true about Diaco. From the football alums I talk to and the comments and pics they post on social media, Diaco was very welcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom