This was the Uconn team I wanted to see heading into South Carolina | The Boneyard

This was the Uconn team I wanted to see heading into South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, I recall tuck and Stewie sitting most of the game before facing South Carolina. I also recall KML and Stewie lighting the Gamecocks up, MoJeff not being at all far behind, and Uconn making an emphatic statement in snowy Storrs on 2/9/15.

This Uconn team looked ready to keep yapping with its play.

Uconn got 40 points on 16-27 shooting, 16 rebounds, and 14 assists against only six turnovers, from Mo, Morgan, and Stewie. Nurse was a huge and pleasant surprise for her part. Gabby was terrific in her own right. Meanwhile, we didn't get banner games from Chong, Samuelson, the butler, or Collier, but they can all give us something. That scintillating depth is still there, and I can't w to see how Butler does defensively against the likes of Coates and Wilson.

Yes, we know exactly who's coming to Columbia, SC, and we know that team is freaking good. It tends to dominate statistical categories and post great fundamental numbers like 22 assists on 38 FGs.

Indeed, the Huskies put on a show today. Monday's certainly not guaranteed, but Geno's kids look ready to put on another show in two days. Stay tuned for the squad we love to watch.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno's presser today. He thinks he knows how it will go Monday. We are going to do a lot of great things Monday and ... "so guys are going to play lousy."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, I recall tuck and Stewie sitting most of the game before facing South Carolina. I also recall KML and Stewie lighting the Gamecocks up, MoJeff not being at all far behind, and Uconn making an emphatic statement in snowy Storrs on 2/9/15.

This Uconn team looked ready to keep yapping with its play.

Uconn got 40 points on 16-27 shooting, 16 rebounds, and 14 assists against only six turnovers, from Mo, Morgan, and Stewie. Nurse was a huge and pleasant surprise for her part. Gabby was terrific in her own right. Meanwhile, we didn't get banner games from Chong, Samuelson, the butler, or Collier, but they can all give us something. That scintillating depth is still there, and I can't w to see how Butler does defensively against the likes of Coates and Wilson.

Yes, we know exactly who's coming to Columbia, SC, and we know that team is freaking good. It tends to dominate statistical categories and post great fundamental numbers like 22 assists on 38 FGs.

Indeed, the Huskies put on a show today. Monday's certainly not guaranteed, but Geno's kids look ready to put on another show in two days. Stay tuned for the squad we love to watch.

Two thoughts here.......

1. Nurse may be a "wild card" for us if she can replicate the shooting touch she had today. We know what the other starters will do.

2. Whether you're a UConn fan or not, you've got to admit that the huskies looked real good today. South Carolina should be afraid, very afraid. Your worse nightmare is enroute to your location, will arrive tomorrow under a full head of steam. Geno said it best this week on his show. "If we bring our A game, they're not going to beat us".
Girls, make sure you pack everything, especially your A game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Unlike some I thought out of the last three games this was the least well played by the Huskies. The team had a problem at times covering perimeter shots and on offense their passing and decisions weren't as crisp. Their press was less effective. Geno had a problem (as I) with the play of KLS and Butler seemed to have butter fingers today. At least this game she took some shots. Nit picking I know, but UCONN has played better games since the middle of January. I'm glad Kia found her offensive game, but she's so consistent defensively and with her leadership I wasn't concerned.

Reaction Score
When Stewart is out of the game , UConn's interior defense is very shaky. I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn in a match up zone a lot of the time forcing SC to beat them outside. And I don't expect to see Butler in the game without Stewart. She'd foul out in 6 minutes. But together with Tuck they can shut down SC inside if the guards can really scramble and bother SC's outside shooters.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Zone on made baskets, man to man on misses. Which probably means mostly zone.
When Stewart is out of the game , UConn's interior defense is very shaky. I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn in a match up zone a lot of the time forcing SC to beat them outside. And I don't expect to see Butler in the game without Stewart. She'd foul out in 6 minutes. But together with Tuck they can shut down SC inside if the guards can really scramble and bother SC's outside shooters.
Zone after made baskets, man to man after misses. Which probably means mostly zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom