This Team Will Win the AAC Tournament. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This Team Will Win the AAC Tournament.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I admire your optimism. Either that or you are stoned. But, whichever, I am going to say that winning the AAC to get into the NCAAs will not make this suddenly a good season. In my opinion, making the NCAAs last year didn't make that a good season either. You can't accept and settle for horrific regular season performances over and over again and especially not in THIS conference. At some point KO needs to get back to building a team that dominates in the regular season AND post season. Otherwise, we are always teetering on the edge of disaster as a program. Do people really expect us to win championships from the 8 seed on a regular basis? That was a great run, no doubt, but how often do people expect that kind of miracle to happen? We need some 1999 or 2004 type seasons too. Hell, I would even love some 1990s. Sure, championships are great, however you get them, but the reality is that they are more likely to happen if you keep knocking on the door as a high seed.
UConn has won 2 NCs by having their back against the wall
Is it preferable? No but they were NCs nevertheless
I don't think that KO recruits to have bad regular seasons and finger-crossed post seasons as your At some point remark hints
The recruitment and roster restrictions handed down by the NCAA had their crippling effect - you can see it at Cuse
IF this team wins the AAC tournament, with all the injuries and the WTF losses, I would consider it to be a success and for me - a good season- based on the injuries and the fact that the team lost its 3 best players from last year and arguably 2 of its top 3 players this year
Last year was a disappointment no doubt

Reaction Score
There is reason to be concerned but at least acknowledge that were it not for a miracle BE tournament the team might not have gone to the NCAA in the 2010-2011 season. So the answer is twice.
2011 and 2014 we needed that special player and we had Kemba and Bazz, but guess what? We have Jalen. Remember those 2 players sophomore year? Well Jalen is ahead of them on the curve. So if we were to put together the pieces he is more than capable of getting us on those type of runs. We have Gilbert. Bazz and Boat vs Jalen and Gilbert is a wash next year. We have Larrier and Vance. We need a big body to bang down low, that's the missing link.

Reaction Score
It would certainly be an interesting wrinkle to have a team go on its first three game winning streak of the season in their conference tournament. Seems like a long shot.

Reaction Score
It would certainly be an interesting wrinkle to have a team go on its first three game winning streak of the season in their conference tournament. Seems like a long shot.
It won't be the first. ECU, @USF, Tulane is coming up soon aaand I just jinxed them. Sorry.

Reaction Score
There is reason to be concerned but at least acknowledge that were it not for a miracle BE tournament the team might not have gone to the NCAA in the 2010-2011 season. So the answer is twice.

Ugh, I hate this misconception.

Before the BET in 2011, we were projected as a #6-7 seed. If we had lost to DePaul in the first round, we probably would have been a #7-8. Each win in the BET was worth about 1 seed line.

But there was no situation, heading into the BET, in which we would have missed the NCAAT.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Before the BET in 2011, we were projected as a #6-7 seed. If we had lost to DePaul in the first round, we probably would have been a #7-8. Each win in the BET was worth about 1 seed line.

But there was no situation, heading into the BET, in which we would have missed the NCAAT.
I believe there was concern that we needed to win at least one game in the BE tournament because even with a very strong conference we were 9-9 during the regular season. But you are correct we didn't need to win every game to get into the tournament. It was about seeding after that first game.

Point still exists that crazy bad and good things happen so often it's interesting that people are surprised by surprises. And Paesono was excluding the 2011 season when he made his post.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I thought of a few more reasons - I'll post them tonight.

None of you will like them, nor agree with my conclusions.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Also, why don't they get credit for that 'miracle run'? It's like saying, if Kemba missed 7 more shots per game, he wouldn't have been as good. No sh~t. That tournament wasn't luck. They just outplayed everybody.

Reaction Score
I believe there was concern that we needed to win at least one game in the BE tournament because even with a very strong conference we were 9-9 during the regular season. But you are correct we didn't need to win every game to get into the tournament. It was about seeding after that first game.

Point still exists that crazy bad and good things happen so often it's interesting that people are surprised by surprises. And Paesono was excluding the 2011 season when he made his post.
It wasn't intentional. That regular season was pretty mediocre but the conference was very strong so I wouldn't put it at exactly the same level as 2014. It was somewhere between 2004 and 2014. But I like to play percentages and the higher your seed, the better the odds. These horrific regular seasons have to stop.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It wasn't intentional. That regular season was pretty mediocre but the conference was very strong so I wouldn't put it at exactly the same level as 2014. It was somewhere between 2004 and 2014. But I like to play percentages and the higher your seed, the better the odds. These horrific regular seasons have to stop.
The old BE was smoking that year.

I agree with you that the regular season has to improve dramatically. Everyone agrees with that. The disagreement is primarily as to whether factors that were in the coaches control are to blame or whether factors outside the coaches control were to blame.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom